Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from Tucson

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from Tucson

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 08:27 PM
Recumbent tricyclist

Bikes: Greenspeed GT5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello from Tucson

Followed a link to this forum from ******.com, and since I've been riding a fair bit recently decided to register.

I ride a Greenspeed GT5, which I find to be exceptionally fun. My original intention was to use this to commute to work, but that hasn't happened yet.

For now I'm riding on a path near the "river"* -- a full trip on the path is about 35 kilometers (about 21 miles). That's round trip, by the way. In that distance, the path crosses only two roads, and the whole thing is pretty flat. I haven't been doing full rides, however, since that takes me quite some time. A friend and I have been doing weekly rides of only part of the path, roughly 18 kilometers.

I'm idly toying with the idea of picking up a two-wheeler as well. In part because many of the shoulders in Tucson are narrow, and the GT5 is not very narrow (it's not outrageously wide, but definitely has a wider track than a two wheeler). Also in part because the GT5 is an expensive trike, and if I'm just bopping over to the grocery store I'd want to take something a little less risk-worthy. I'm completely undecided on style, however. That is, a hybrid bike may suit, but a mountain bike may be ultimately more versatile and therefore a better investment.

...yeah, I tend to ramble a bit occasionally. Also, monkeys.

* the "river" is typically just a dry gulch. This is Tucson, after all.
Old 07-24-08, 09:13 AM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hell nkuvu, the MTB may very well be a better choice, especially if you want to do some commuting. How long would the commute be?

Welcome to BF, and feel free to PM me with any questions !

East Hill
Forum Moderator

Old 07-24-08, 11:27 AM
Recumbent tricyclist

Bikes: Greenspeed GT5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My to work commute is rather short -- I think about 13 km (8 mi). The problem with the commute as opposed to the normal ride I do is that the commute is almost all uphill. Well, on the way to work, anyway. It would be almost all downhill on the way home. And of course there's the temperature issue to deal with.

Tucson has some decent roads with bike lanes, and some not-so-decent roads. The commute would go along the river path for a short time, but would mainly be on moderate-to-good roads.

In regards to bike styles, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards a mountain bike. With slicks or road tires for the majority of the time. I haven't checked details, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to find that most hybrids aren't really geared for hill climbing.
Old 07-24-08, 10:13 PM
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, if it's that steep a hill, it's probably better to get a machine that can get you up the grade. Once your legs get stronger, you might feel differently, but we want to keep you as a cyclist, not have you get discouraged before you really get started.

East Hill