Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Help with getting the wife bent.

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-04, 06:18 PM
Not Green, Celeste!!!

Bikes: Bianchi Eros

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I took my wife with me on a ride a few weeks ago, on conventional bikes by the way. She was somewhat less than a happy camper and didn't care for the seat at all. We'd still really like to do more stuff together though. She knows how much I enjoy riding and would like to be a part of it.

Yesterday she met a guy that sells recumbents. Today we went to his shop and took a short test ride. He has a tandem as well as a one personf for sale and we rode both. This was my 1st experience on a recumbent and I enjoyed it quite a bit. More importantly the loving wife enjoyed it.

The wife isn't a cyclist, but I think she'd enjoy it if she started. Especially if she was able to ride a bike that didn't provide discomfort down there. I don't know if the tandem is a good idea or the single.

I guess I'm looking for some advice. I would like to continue to ride the Bianchi but would like her to join me. Has anybody else been through this? How did it turn out? What can I do to help?

Dave
Old 02-05-04, 06:51 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R600, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice thread title My wife is happy with hybrid, but if it takes a bent it takes a bent
Old 02-05-04, 07:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did the two of you work well on the tandem? Some couples don't or can't handle riding a tandem well. One wants to ride faster, the other wants to ride slower. One wants to spin, one likes to mash. etc.

If your wife finds that she likes riding it may be for reason that differ from your own. You may love the speed, she may just want to smell the flowers.

Even if you get a tandem, you can still ride the Bianchi. My SO (soon to be wife) loves the road tandem (recumbent) but shes not so hot about the off road tandem (upright) for the same reasons, seat pain. But with a little give and take it all works out. Myself, I enjoy all forms of cycling so I'm happy riding whatever.

If she liked the bent, get her the bent. you can still ride together, her on her bent and you on your Bianchi. Just try to keep up with her If you get her a bike she dose not enjoy, she will not enjoy riding.
"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." - Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 02-09-04, 04:32 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think a tandem takes a lot of committment! You would never get me on one. Are you two ready to commit?

I'd go single. Give everyone a chance to go at their own pace. Of course, a good saddle would do wonders for her, as well.