Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Oh so many questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-08, 04:58 PM
Untrained Assassin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh so many questions.

I am about to get back on a bike for the first time in 11 years. I got a Bianchi Ospry for my 16th birthday and we did it all together. I am turning 34 in three weeks and I NEED to get back in the saddle. I will have between $500 to $800 to buy a bike... but... I used to ride Mtn. with huge meats(i liked the hum of knobbies on pavement)... I ride mostly on roads(like 98%), but will hit some bad road and drop the occasional curb... I hope to commute to work and would love thinner, slicker, more efficient tires and a place to add fenders... I also like the idea of single speed... I don't have many hills, plus I feel that SS is more "soul' riding... drop bars scare me, had back problems in the past and would like a more upright position... ARRGH! I was looking at the Marin Novato(i like the disc brakes)... but i also can't stop thinking of saving a bit more for a Surly LHT... I don't know what to do and I want to get riding ASAP

I am six two and weigh 250ish... and I hope to drop some of those lbs...
Old 08-31-08, 06:17 PM
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rev.

I'm mostly a road bike kind of guy, so I don't have a lot info on selection for you. You single speed inclination limits me even further in what help I can be there.

It sounds like you might be best served by a Hybrid, or hard tail mtb, except for neither one being SS. Another option might be a flat bar road bike if it's able to accept a little heartier rims and tires.

Honestly, your description sounds ideal for a cyclocross bike, but you would have drop bars and gears. This could be remedied with a set of trekking bars from Nashbar for around $20. I'm not sure how the shifters would work though. A cross bike would have everything you listed as far as great on the road, can do trails, and curb hopping is encouraged! Most models come with eyelets and braze ons for racks and fenders as well if you want to use it to commute.

One thing to remember about drop bars is that you don't necessarily have to ride in the drops. They give you more hand position options and you can always ride the flat part of the bar or ride the hoods of the levers. Most of use the hoods a majority of the time I think.

Edit: Forgot to add that your budget allows for a pretty nice bike with year end clearances upon us. You should be able to get a lot of bike for a good price, no matter what you choose.
Old 08-31-08, 06:50 PM
zpl
Bike Fun Fanatic

Bikes: 2020 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2012 Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
I agree that a cyclocross bike sounds like it would suit you best. They tend to have strong wheels and allow for wide tires.
Old 08-31-08, 06:53 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Trekking bars rock. Get the leverage advantage like drops but with many more hand positions - depending on how high or low you want them can determine your uprightedness.

In my sig is a few threads on what bikes to get. I gotta tell you though - if I had the funds and space I'd order a Surly in a heartbeat. Can't go wrong for a Clyde - extremely versatile bike and I'm pretty sure most can be made fixed (just have to pay attention to the dropouts).

It's the year of the enema!
Old 08-31-08, 06:55 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Save for the LHT. If you don't you'll be like me, cursing every mile you ride and praying for a quick, merciful death.
Old 08-31-08, 08:38 PM
Untrained Assassin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha ha! Thanks for the help... I am not dead set on the SS, just intrigued by it... So the Surly is a good pick for a Clyde?
Old 08-31-08, 08:46 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
For the price - probably the best.

It's the year of the enema!
Old 09-01-08, 05:05 AM
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You will be hard pressed to find a negative opinion of an LHT in these parts.

You might want to strike now before the 09 price increase of somewhere around %15 though if that's the route you go.