Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Adjusting Cleats

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Adjusting Cleats

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 02:34 PM

Bikes: Trek 4300, Scattante Cross, Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adjusting Cleats

Should I adjust my SPD cleats to match how my foot normally looks when walking, i.e. my foot normally points out, should my cleats be set so that the toe points out slightly when riding? I'm getting back into riding and am overweight and right now I can ride 10-15 minutes before I get a pain in both legs right above the knee. If I stop for a few minutes the pain goes away and I can go again. I think the seat height is right along with the fore-and-after position.

Thanks,

Bruce
Old 09-04-08, 03:21 PM
Der Jàn

Bikes: '11 Jamis Zenith; Jamis Eclipse; Jamis Dakota

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pain on the top of the knee typically indicates that your seat is to low. Maybe visit your LBS for a quick fitting. Having a good fit will make biking that much more enjoyable.

As far a cleat position, whatever is comfortable without contortioning your foot or causing leg/knee pain. The cleats should have just enough play in them so you can slightly rotate your foot.

Keep riding!
Old 09-04-08, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce282
I can ride 10-15 minutes before I get a pain in both legs right above the knee. If I stop for a few minutes the pain goes away and I can go again. I think the seat height is right along with the fore-and-after position.

Thanks,

Bruce
Actually, the location of the pain you're experiencing suggests that your saddle is too low. Try raising it 2 or 3 mm. Also, what are your typical gearing and pedal speed? Many people could benefit from gearing down and pealing faster. It really is easier on the joints.

As far as cleat alignment, a good starting point is to have your feet at a normal "walking" angle. If your toes point out when walking, they should when pedaling too.

Scott P
Bend, OR
Old 09-04-08, 03:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbycorno
As far as cleat alignment, a good starting point is to have your feet at a normal "walking" angle. If your toes point out when walking, they should when pedaling too.

Bend, OR
One warning with putting your cleats similar to your normal walking angle. My feet also turn out and putting my cleats at a similar anle to my natrual foot angle actually caused me pain in my knees because my knees were not tracking straight when when i peddled
Old 09-04-08, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try this link about 3/4 of the way down the page. https://www.caree.org/bike101cliplesspedals.htm
Old 09-04-08, 04:30 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
Try this link about 3/4 of the way down the page. https://www.caree.org/bike101cliplesspedals.htm
I have been looking for cleat covers for my Shimano cleats for years. Thanks for including this link.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 09-04-08, 05:15 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Really Great Article - I am going to put the link into the Beginner's Sticky!
Old 09-05-08, 05:57 AM

Bikes: Trek 4300, Scattante Cross, Trek 2.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for link. Most informative. I think my plan is to make sure the seat height is right, and I might just put the stock platform pedals back on and see what different foot positions feel like.

Bruce