Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anybody carry a first aid kit?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 09:25 AM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The heart attack thread got me thinking about the advantages of carrying a first aid kit on long rides. I never have carried one and I've only considered it briefly. Maybe it is a good idea.

What to bring?

Ibuprofen - for pain and inflammation
Aspirin - for pain and inflammation and blood thinning, as mentioned in the other thread
a few bandaids
1 large gauze pad (3x3 inches?)
a bit of tape

That wouldn't take up much space in a seat bag and the weight is minor.

What else should be carried?
Old 09-16-08, 09:30 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Only rarely have I carried any first aid. As I crash hard enough every couple of years I should I guess.

Also for me some Aspirin and antihistamine might be nice.
Old 09-16-08, 09:36 AM
FRUGAL GERMAN

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
first aid kit

I have thought about keeping one on the bike a small one. I bump myself once and a while and bleed like a hog since I am on one asprin a day. And you never know when you run into a Damsel in distress, and you to can be a hero

Pop's
Old 09-16-08, 10:01 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep.... but just the contents, not the case. The light flat stuff like band-aids, antiseptic wipes and such. They take up so little room, why not carry them?

In addition to antiseptic wipes, regular baby wipes would also be fine to wipe dirt off wounds before dressing them with the bandage. Or a tube of antiseptic ointment.

Good idea on the aspirin, we need to add that.
Old 09-16-08, 10:03 AM

Bikes: derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
advil
tums - good for cramps as well as tummy ache
bandaid - for little boo-boos
bendryl - for insect stings (I'm allergic, probably should have an epi-pen instead)
cell phone - for a ride home if something really bad happens

In a real crash you need so much stuff its not really practical to carry all of it. After my last one I used 2 boxes of tegaderms and that was just to start off.
Old 09-16-08, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I carry my "general purpose kit" whenever taking to the mountain trails on two wheels. It's a kit I use mainly for hiking and backpacking. In addition to the general pain killers, antihistamines, antacids, and small wound care stuff, it also has an emergency blanket (one of those light foil things) and three different ways to create fire. I also throw in enough star mint candies to generate internal heat if I get separated from my eats and have to hunker down the night. It all goes into a quart-sized zip plastic bag. If you plan this carefully, it's a remarkably small package. It stays updated and is ready to pitch into whatever duty it's called to cover. (I don't bike tour, but the package is small enough that I'll bet it would do that duty, too.)

By the way, pack the DEET in a separate bag!!! DEET-contaminated Ibuprofen is a cast-iron drag. Trust me on this one, ragazzi.

OK, OK, I know; a little intense for a someone not of Teutonic origin.
Old 09-16-08, 10:06 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Antihistamine (insects), anti-inflammatants and a cell phone.
Old 09-16-08, 10:08 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by buddyp
In a real crash you need so much stuff its not really practical to carry all of it.
Like maybe a spare pair of shorts to replace the shreaded ones.
Old 09-16-08, 12:14 PM

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
. . .maybe a spare pair of shorts . . .
Oh, that reminds me. Take a spare set of under pants in bear country!
Old 09-16-08, 12:54 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Gaffa tape works wonders for fixing things that shouldn't move on the bike. Also works to get that flap of skin that is leaking aswell.

Have to admit that I only carry a first aid kit on group rides. When on my own-I have a phone.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-16-08, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I put together a kit with stopping the bleeding in mind. Tape, gauze pads, regular and extra large band aids, Baby wipes are great at stopping the oozing of blood from road rash injuries. Foil packs of neosporin are cool too. Several local bikers have been real glad I carry one. Haven't needed it myself, yet. bk
Old 09-16-08, 03:23 PM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
I put together a kit with stopping the bleeding in mind. Tape, gauze pads, regular and extra large band aids, Baby wipes are great at stopping the oozing of blood from road rash injuries. Foil packs of neosporin are cool too. Several local bikers have been real glad I carry one. Haven't needed it myself, yet. bk
Always a good strategy.
Old 09-16-08, 03:52 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't generally carry anything while on the road. If I crash it's going to be too bad for aspirin or bandaids!

Mountain biking is another story. I carry bandaids, antiseptic wipes, tweezers, tape, aspirin, Bendryl etc. I have a small, compact first aid kit I place in my camelbak. I'd had to use almost everything in it one time or another.

I hope this doesn't sound too icky for some, but the best thing to carry for blood stoppage? A small sanitary pad (like a pantiliner). It's compact, can absorb lots of blood and won't stick to wounds.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 09-16-08, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ibuprofen, gauze squares, and band aids. I carry some tape and cheap scissors, also. Now that I'm on Warfarin, I need to be able to keep some pressure on it. I also carry some powder that you put on wounds to stop bleeding. I might get some medical grade super glue. Someone's Grandmother told them that sugar also helps stop bleeding. I haven't tried that one yet.
Old 09-16-08, 06:13 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The likely treatable injurys are abrasions, a broken wrist or dislocated or broken shoulder/collar bone. Some gauze and tape for abrasions and two cravats for the shoulder or wrist, rigid material for a splint can usually be found lying around if the wrist is bad. If you plan on helping others, some rubber gloves in the case they are bleeding which can also be used to keep your hands clean on a tire change. Antiseptic cleansing wipes are good too.

However the best thing I think you can carry for emergencies is a cell phone.

Other than the rubber gloves & cell phone you will not find any of this on my bike.
Old 09-16-08, 06:59 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ibuprofen, and antiseptic wipes. And I make sure one water bottle always has water, not gatorade.

I suppose you could rinse road rash down with gatorade if there was nothing else going, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

Word of warning. Antiseptic wipes dry out eventually. Then you can use the water bottle to wet them again before using them. (I don't know if this works, but it makes me feel better)

I also aim to carry surgical gloves, either for fixing a flat, or for tending a wound, but I never get round to it.
Old 09-16-08, 07:16 PM
too old for bike shorts?

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a single dose of both aspirin and benedryl (both actually for my husband who has scarey allergic reactions, and I fear is heart attack at-risk), a couple of band-aids, a couple of wet-wipes (good for porta-johns or wound clean-up), and an old washcloth (good for grease, blood, or sunscreen in the eyes). And of course always water and a cell phone
Old 09-18-08, 05:50 AM

Bikes: derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'm going to start carrying a more substantial first aid kit in the car. There was a crash on my wednesday nite ride yesterday. I didn't see what happened because I ride by myself because I get dropped. back in the parking lot one of the victims asked me if I had a first aid kit and, sadly, I had to say I didn't

I'm thinking the list proposed by bkaapcke is a good one. Just enough stuff to clean up a little and not bleed all over the car on the way home. Real clean up and bandaging can wait til your home. There's no way you're gonna get all the gravel out without a tub or shower.

Last edited by buddyp; 09-18-08 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-18-08, 07:54 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From one cycling ER doc's perspective, the two most important first aid items are a cell phone and basic life-support skills. Optional third and fourth would be a compact CPR mask and a pair of gloves.
Old 09-18-08, 08:07 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Here's my bike:

Old 09-18-08, 08:32 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay
From one cycling ER doc's perspective, the two most important first aid items are a cell phone and basic life-support skills. Optional third and fourth would be a compact CPR mask and a pair of gloves.
I have 3 of these. I don't carry the compact CPR mask on the bike but it is in my van.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 09-18-08, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
No first aid kit on local rides or out of town day rides. On long (several days or more) tours yes I carry a fairly basic one.

From another thread:
We started out with the following on the TA:

1. Ibuprofen
2. Benadryl
3. Band aids
4. Ace bandage
5. EPI Pen
6. Prescription medicine
7. Gauze pads
8. A roll of 1"gauze
9. Adhesive tape
10. Bactericide
11. Moleskin
12. Steri-strips

After living with that for a while and after an accident I decided that more and larger gauze pads were a good idea as was wider and more roller gauze.

We found it surprisingly hard to find decent width or length roller gauze in rural Montana. We quickly figured out that it was easier to find first aid type stuff for horses there. They had some really nice roller bandage for horses and came in it nice large rolls and pretty colors. It worked well for people and even matched the patient's jersey.
Old 09-18-08, 08:40 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
The X-Marts carry a small first aid kit in a cloth zipper case. I removed some useless stuff and added extra band aides, asprin and alcohol swabs (similar to moist towelettes). It weighs almost nothing and it goes in my back center pocket. Once riding, I can't tell it's there.

Interesting note, I ran a major club ride for my club and along with the water bottle, blinkie and other free givaways, I added about 100 small first aide kits ($.95 at the X-Marts) that came in a hard plastic case. Each rider had a choice of one giveaway and the kits went first.

Bottom line...I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Old 09-19-08, 09:07 AM

Bikes: '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kind of...
People usually decide they don't need my help.