Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fitting my road bike- how much leeway do I have?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-08, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm considering purchasing a used, 2005 Specialized Allez Elite.
According to the owner, the bike has a 54.8cm seat tube.

I'm a short girl-I'm 5'3" with a 79cm inseam. I know the bike is a tad big for me, but can I make it work? perhaps with a shorter stem, to bring the handlebars in? I'm comfortable in an elongated position on a bike, but I don't want to make a big mistake here. My last bike was a 49cm, and seemed a bit small.

Thanks
Old 09-28-08, 05:00 AM
Dropped myself

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be worried about the ease of getting on and off the bike. I am 5'6" and I ride a Orbea (54)... according to the Orbea website, the seat tube on my bike is 49cm. So going that I am taller than you and riding a smaller bike, I don't think this would really work for you.

Unless of course the guy who is measuring the bike doesn't know how to measure it (different bike makes measure differently.)

But really, the only way to know for sure is to do some test rides.
Old 09-28-08, 07:02 AM

Bikes: 1990 Univega Alpina, 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2009 Jamis Coda Sport, 2010 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lizzylou
I would be worried about the ease of getting on and off the bike. I am 5'6" and I ride a Orbea (54)... according to the Orbea website, the seat tube on my bike is 49cm. So going that I am taller than you and riding a smaller bike, I don't think this would really work for you...
Ditto here for sizing concerns. I recently test-road an Allez that was a 52. It was a decent fit for me, but I'm several inches taller- 5'6". It sound like the bike you are considering may even be a 54...or a 56. You don't want to have that bar in the way when you hop off.

I ended up buying a size 54 in a Specialized Dolce Elite. Brands are sized differently (I also tried a women's 50cm Fuji Finest that was too big)-and you may need a different size in the men's model of a certain brand than you would take in a women's model.

If the bike isn't too far away, the best thing to do is try it out. The seller may have measured it incorrectly, too. It sounds like a nice bike, but don't compromise safety and good fit to get a good deal.
Old 09-28-08, 07:49 AM

Bikes: k2 Zed 3.0

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kittenbot
I'm considering purchasing a used, 2005 Specialized Allez Elite.
According to the owner, the bike has a 54.8cm seat tube.

I'm a short girl-I'm 5'3" with a 79cm inseam.
That's a 31" inseam! Those are some serious legs! I'd check out the bike though, stand over should be fine, but the reach may be a bit much. A shorter stem may aid in fit too.