Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Roanoak, VA area racing teams?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 07:03 PM
I'm that guy that I am.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It looks like I'm going to head out of the Maryland area and relocate down to Roanoke, VA and while browsing the web (including searching here), it looks like the only race teams in the area are Virginia Tech and Rogue Racing.

Does anyone happen to know more actual race-type teams (as opposed to the prototypical club that isn't focused on racing) in or around that region or know anything about Rogue?

Last edited by rizz; 12-04-08 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-04-08, 07:26 PM
sidelined

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660, Kona Race Light SS conversion, 2007 Schwinn Fastback CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What was the team that put on the ID3 racese last year? IIRC they are out of Roanoke. They are doing 3 day events Memorial Day and Independence day next year.
Old 12-05-08, 07:33 AM

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why don't you speak to Stratton at Keirin Culture? He'll know what's going on.
https://www.roanokecycling.org/
Then there's Rogues Racing in Blacksburg.
Old 12-05-08, 02:11 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Daytona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rogues Racing

Rizz,
Rogues Racing is based in the New River Valley. (1/2hr south of Roanoke) We have around 20 team members and are focused solely on racing. (and putting on one race weekend a year) We have a good solid group of 3s and 4s right now with a few 2s and 5s. About half the team is also on the VT cycling team. Between the Rogues, VT, and the handful of other cyclists based in the area we have great regular training rides. 9 months of the year we have a weekly Weds race ride to keep you really tuned up for racing. The Weds group ranges up to a few pros, so it is as fast as you want it. We also have a regular group of cyclocrossers for the winter months. There is an abundance of races for us in VA and nearby in TN and NC. The team usually manages to get to between 50-60 races a year. You can check us out at www.roguesracing.com.

In Roanoke is also the Roanoke Cycling Organization (www.roanokecycling.org), home to Ron G. and Team El Toreo. RCO and the Rogues put on the ID3 race weekend this year. Next year it looks like lots more races here.

If you have any other questions, ask away.
Eric
President, Rogues Racing Team
Old 12-05-08, 06:20 PM
I'm that guy that I am.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info, folks. Sounds like I'm going to have to hit some of those rides and chat with folks while I try to overcome the shock of going from windy-and-flat riding to ``hey look, these roads have climbs!'' Guessing I might not ever use that 11-21 cassette after I move.
Old 12-05-08, 09:51 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rizz
Guessing I might not ever use that 11-21 cassette after I move.
Keep that cassette! There are some races in Richmond and Virginia Beach which are pretty flat....
Old 12-06-08, 09:36 AM
I'm that guy that I am.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acorn_user
Keep that cassette! There are some races in Richmond and Virginia Beach which are pretty flat....
Crits are what I prefer, so I hope there will be plenty which are close enough so I don't have to drive ten hours to find some.
Old 12-06-08, 09:18 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Afaik, there are 5 race days in Roanoke and Blacksburg; 4 crits and 1 hill climb. There may be a road race near Lynchburg too. There will be 2 crits in Waynesboro, and there is some action around Bristol TN and parts of NC... but other than that, it's in Richmond and Virginia Beach.

www.vacycling.org
Old 12-06-08, 09:34 PM
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by acorn_user
Afaik, there are 5 race days in Roanoke and Blacksburg; 4 crits and 1 hill climb. There may be a road race near Lynchburg too. There will be 2 crits in Waynesboro, and there is some action around Bristol TN and parts of NC... but other than that, it's in Richmond and Virginia Beach.

www.vacycling.org
I have family in VA beach who'd love to have me. I wonder if I can go stay there for a week or two for spring break and train and race. Hm...
Old 12-07-08, 07:55 AM
sidelined

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660, Kona Race Light SS conversion, 2007 Schwinn Fastback CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like 6 race days in that area by the calendar. Plus don't forget Jeff Cup and Page valley, & Wintergreen....not too far from Roanoke. Be nice if we could get those Charlottesville guys to put on some races

Acorn, were you at the VCA meeting?