Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can a wall bike rack be used for maintenance?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-08, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Tried to clean my chain today and realized that its practically impossible without some sort of a rack - so did a search and came across some DIY ones.

If I make/buy a wall rack [the cheapo $10 ones] will it be possible to do some basic maintenance on it? If not, why not?

Something like this?

Old 12-25-08, 03:58 AM
I have senior moments...

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can't really tell much about that rack/holder from the pic. I don't know how you clean your chain either; I just wipe mine down or relube it unless it's been on a muddy ride then I'll rinse it off as well, so even the rack pictured would be good for that. OTOH I can lean mine against a wall for lubing my chain, and often do.
Old 12-25-08, 06:22 AM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a stand up rack that I have used for almost everything. Routine maintenance, new cables and housing, tune ups, repairs, and one somewhat significant upgrade.

The rack is supposed to be a self standing two bike rack. I have attached to a post on my back porch, and my son stores his bike on it most of the time.

Your wall mounted rack probably could be used for light repairs and preventive maintenance, but nothing too heavy of a job.
Old 12-25-08, 07:20 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Just be sure the bike is far enough from the wall to be able to turn the cranks without hitting something.

Last edited by HillRider; 12-25-08 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-25-08, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Bar ends allow you to flip the bike upside down for minor maintenance such as your chain issue.
Old 12-25-08, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thanks guys. Did a LOT of reading here and decided to make my own [I dont have that wall rack but was planning to make it for maintenance only]- something along the lines of this. I currently have a MTB and the clearance I need from the center of the top tube till the vertical bar of the stand is " to allow the pedals to turn comfortably. I am getting a road bike - will the clearance needed be the same? or more?

IOW can I build my stand before my road bike comes in with the clearance that I need for my MTB

Also instead of the clamp I am planing just two hooks maybe 12" apart on which the top tube will sit. Does that sound OK? I need this mainly for cleaning, adjusting derailleurs etc.

Image is from www.instructables.com
Old 12-25-08, 08:12 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
It'll work, you'll just have some limitations.

Swinging from side-to-side will be a pain. Your far side pedal will probably scar up the wall too. The rack in your picture doesn't look to me like it's going to be sturdy enough to do stuff like crank and bottom bracket work that takes very much torque.

That said, for years I did virtually everything except headset and front brake adjustments by hanging my bike vertically from the front wheel.
Old 12-25-08, 03:17 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I agree with Retro_g; I have racks similar to yours and they are OK when wiping down the bike, but if you want to work on it, you need some way of stopping it swinging to and fro. I wouldn't think chain cleaning would be easy.