Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Flying Pigeon's First Upgrade!

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 10:14 PM

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts

I had on order a new "Kalloy" 28.6 x 400 mm seat post which arrived today. Originally, this seat post was intended for my Qile Duo VSTII folder. However since the seat post on the Flying Pigeon was a little too short for me, I decided instead to install it on that bike. In turn, the seat post that came with the FP, was perfect for my QD, since they are both the same diameter.

The new post added another 2 inches of height to the seat, which brought it up level with the handlebar.

I had posted in the first FP thread I started about the problem with the seat post sliding down into the frame gradually while riding the bike. Well chances are this might not happen anymore (I hope!), as the new seat post has a serrated finish to it. That means very fine grooves on the seat post's surface. This might be the solution to the aforementioned issue.

I really don't think I'm going to do a lot more to this bike other than buying some basic accessories such as a mirror, a cyclometer, and maybe even a rack bag.

Edward
Old 01-05-09, 10:32 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Put some lube on the QR's surfaces where they slide against each other, wipe off excess. This may make a huge difference. It did on my QRs.
Old 01-05-09, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Ed,

I'm bidding on an FP right now, what's your bottom line quick opinion?
Old 01-06-09, 06:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to get me a seatpost like that. Mine is also 2" too short for my taste.
Thanks for the info!
Old 01-06-09, 07:18 AM

Thanks, I think I'll try that

Edward

Originally Posted by jur
Put some lube on the QR's surfaces where they slide against each other, wipe off excess. This may make a huge difference. It did on my QRs.
Old 01-06-09, 07:51 AM

Ricky,

Well opinions are subjective you know. This is of course an "entry level" folder, but for the money, it's probably the best value per dollar in it's class.

You get a magnesium alloy frame, and many other parts made of aluminum. It's not easy to find a bicycle of any kind, in the sub 30 lbs. for $120 or so. The frame has nice, clean welds, which is something you would expect on a much more expensive unit.

The stem has a good lock down mechanism. When you unfold the bike, you slip the main stem onto a smaller diameter tube the comes up about 3" from the head tube. Then you tighten the quick release. Make sure you adjust the QR so that it will tighten good. If you do that, the stem will feel pretty solid, not flimsy as it were a one piece unit. It is however, non adjustable.

The bike comes with a very attractive carrying bag, and a Velcro strap to secure the ends of the folded bike so that it won't try to open up on you while carrying it out or inside the bag. That was a nice addition

When it was delivered to my lady friend's house, the box looked like a "mini crate"! I mean it was very well packed, and protected by several layers of strong cardboard. It took us 8-10 minutes before we peeled off all those layers to get to the actual factory box!

I'm pleased to report that the bike was in perfect condition because it was so well protected. The only thing is that there were a few scratches here and there, probably during factory assembly. Touch up paint will fix those easy enough.

And as with any bicycle you buy through mail, or the internet, it is probably a good idea to have it professionally adjusted, such as brakes, the derailleur, and wheels trued. Unless of course you are well versed enough to do it yourself.

I know you wanted a "quick opinion", but I felt compelled to tell more.

When I bought it on eBay, I did the "Purchase it Now", but you'll probably get a better deal than me by going through the bidding route.

Good luck!

Regards,
Ed

Originally Posted by Ricky in Jersey
Hey Ed,

I'm bidding on an FP right now, what's your bottom line quick opinion?
Old 01-06-09, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by MadArnie
I have to get me a seatpost like that. Mine is also 2" too short for my taste.
Thanks for the info!
I got mine from "bikeman.com", and paid $19.95 plus shipping. The seat post that came with my FP is about 350 mm long, so it was feasible to put this new 400 mm post on it to get the extra height. Also, be mindful of your seat post's diameter so that you order the right one.

Regards,
Edward
Old 01-06-09, 05:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the review, Ed!!

Hey Ed,

Thanks alot. I feel a lot better with my purchase. Your review, and the other supporting information is very much appreciated.

Like I said before, I bought a DT folder a couple of years ago. It was a nice folder, but my ex used it more than me. I had the same minor problems with the Downtube that others have acknowledged... such as gear slippage, chipping paint, and assorted "clicks". When we broke up, I swapped it for a Trek 7500. Since I worried about my current economic situation, I was looking to spend less than the $400 I spent on the Downtube. This hopefully will fill the bill.

After I get it, I'll review it as well.

BTW Ed, you live in Orlando? MY girl and myself took a two week vacation down there during the Xmas holidays. Love that area! I looked at a lot of condos in Orlando, as well as homes up in Deltona, and was amazed at the prices! Seems a real nice 1 BR condo goes for about $60K now in Orlando. Spoke with folks who spent $250K on condos in 2005 and 2006 who were trying to unload them for $70-90K. Deltona is like a ghost town.Very sad.
Old 01-06-09, 06:16 PM

Ricky,

Yes I do live in Orlando. I don't know how familiar you are with the city, but I live in the Baldwin Park area. That's a housing development that was built where the old Naval Training base was years ago.

I think you'll find the FP to your satisfaction for the money spent.

The good thing is if you want to upgrade it, it's possible, and feasible to do so.

Yes, the local real estate market has taken a big hit, more so than many other parts of the country. The plus side is that for individuals who still have a stable, and decent income, can now afford to buy a really nice home, or condo for a reasonable price. Actually, it is my personal belief that the situation with the real estate end of this economic slump, it's a "price correction".

I think that properties are now at the prices they should have stayed at in the first place. Too many speculators, and "investors" caused real estate prices to go insane 3-4 years ago, but don't even get me started on that!

Well enjoy your new purchase. Did you win the bid on the FP?

Keep us informed.

Ed

Originally Posted by Ricky in Jersey
Hey Ed,

Thanks alot. I feel a lot better with my purchase. Your review, and the other supporting information is very much appreciated.

Like I said before, I bought a DT folder a couple of years ago. It was a nice folder, but my ex used it more than me. I had the same minor problems with the Downtube that others have acknowledged... such as gear slippage, chipping paint, and assorted "clicks". When we broke up, I swapped it for a Trek 7500. Since I worried about my current economic situation, I was looking to spend less than the $400 I spent on the Downtube. This hopefully will fill the bill.

After I get it, I'll review it as well.

BTW Ed, you live in Orlando? MY girl and myself took a two week vacation down there during the Xmas holidays. Love that area! I looked at a lot of condos in Orlando, as well as homes up in Deltona, and was amazed at the prices! Seems a real nice 1 BR condo goes for about $60K now in Orlando. Spoke with folks who spent $250K on condos in 2005 and 2006 who were trying to unload them for $70-90K. Deltona is like a ghost town.Very sad.