Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Brake bosses replacaple? Discs, new wheels and other ?s

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Brake bosses replacaple? Discs, new wheels and other ?s

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-04, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a new RS Duke XC UTurn a few weeks ago and was installing it today. I managed to break off the head of one of the bolts that hold my brakes in with the bolt almost completely in the fork. I have tried slotting it and drilling it, but I dont think it is going anywhere. First question, does anyone know if the brake bosses on this fork are removable and replaceable? Are all bosses the same? Could I just take the ones off an old RST fork I have and use those? If so, do I remove them?

If all is lost with the brake boss I am considering going to a front disc brake. I will likely pick up an Avid mech. The problem is that my current wheels are not disc compatible, so I will need new ones. I have the money for all of this, but I am in college and should put it towards school, loans, etc. My current bike is a 2003 Specialized Hardrock. It has a fair amount of miles, but is holding up well so far. My back wheel is a little bit bent, and a replacement might be nice, but it trued up fine but the nondrive side spokes are pretty lost while the drive side are about as tight as they will go. I am rather new to mountain biking and so far it is only light XC. I plan on getting more into it and I don't want to have to shy away from something because my wheels are going to explode or something. My weight is around 165lbs.

So, Avid Mechs and what wheels? I really want all black wheels. My budget for the wheels is $200 max, but less is good. Weight isn't a huge concern, but I would prefer the wheels to be no heavier than the stock Alex/ Joytech wheels that came with my Hardrock, I have no clue how much they weigh.
So here are the options that I see so far-

Mavic Crossland-$200 at Performance bike after 20% coupon
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=18276
Will these hold up to moderate XC and some small jumps?

Rhyno Light XL and XT Hubs-$188 at Jenson USA
https://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=WH707A23
I imagine these are probably almost invincible, but will they weigh more than my current wheels?

Sun Ringle Disc Jockeys
https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/124...-IRC-Tires.htm
They look pretty nice and light, but I would have to go front and rear discs. Expensive and would probably offset the weight savings.

Any other sets that would be good? Disc specific sets wont work since I want to run a rear Vbrake. How bad would a set of Rhyno Lites on Deore hubs be? Considering they are only $90 I wonder.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Last edited by bg4533; 05-26-04 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-26-04, 07:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I obviously can't spell, so just ignore the title. Today has been a very bad day for me... The bike problem, didn't get a promotion I wanted which pretty much means a demotion for me, have been kind of sick, tons of class work to do, etc...
Old 05-27-04, 09:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beyond Bikes has a set of all black Rhyno Lite XLs, XT hubs, and Wheelsmith spokes that are hand built for $159 with free shipping. Any one ever used a wheelset built by "Perfect Wheels"? This seems like a good deal on a nice wheelset albeit a bit heavy at 1280grams. Any comments?
Old 05-27-04, 09:53 AM

Bikes: Lots

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replacing the brake boss shouldn't be a big deal. Go to you local bike shop and ask them to get you one. I doubt they'll stock one and you'll probably have to order it.

It simply unscrews out of the lowers and you screw the new one back in.

Regarding wheels. I prefer a heavier duty wheel because I'm a big guy. However, all those you listed are decent. I just saw that you can get a set of Hayes brakes (F & R) for around $109. So, about $159 for a set of wheel and $110 for brakes, you'd be good to go for right around $300! (shipping!)

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 05-27-04, 09:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a2psyklnut
Replacing the brake boss shouldn't be a big deal. Go to you local bike shop and ask them to get you one. I doubt they'll stock one and you'll probably have to order it.

It simply unscrews out of the lowers and you screw the new one back in.

Regarding wheels. I prefer a heavier duty wheel because I'm a big guy. However, all those you listed are decent. I just saw that you can get a set of Hayes brakes (F & R) for around $109. So, about $159 for a set of wheel and $110 for brakes, you'd be good to go for right around $300! (shipping!)

L8R
Where can you get this Hayes brake set for $109? Thanks.
Old 05-27-04, 10:01 AM

Bikes: Lots

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was reading a magazine and I saw a set on closeout. I just doublechecked, and it was an old issue from before Christmas. Sorry.

I'll keep looking though. You can probably find them for about $150 a pair, if you can wait!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 05-27-04, 10:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A front Avid Mech should be plenty for me. I am already spending too much money anyway. At Performance I can get it for $69.99 after pricematch -20% coupon=$55.99. I get 10% back for being a Team Performance member as well. I also have about $40 Team Performance dollars already, so that will about cover it.
Old 05-27-04, 02:00 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why not just replace the boss and save your money?
Old 05-27-04, 02:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Why not just replace the boss and save your money?
I got an eamil back from Rock Shox as well. I was getting kind of excited about the upgrades and stuff, but since I can replace them I likely will. Thanks.