Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Want to upgrade my 2008 SE Lager... looking for specs/recommendations, your 2 cents?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Want to upgrade my 2008 SE Lager... looking for specs/recommendations, your 2 cents?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-09, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone

Right now my Lager is stock. The saddle is pretty tough on the rear, so I'm looking into upgrading. So far I've looked at the WTB silverado or devo.

I'd also like to check out the Nitto RB-021 drop bullhorns, but I don't know the measurement of my current clamp/stem. Anyone have this info? The SE site doesn't have details.

Any other lager riders have upgrade suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-16-09, 06:17 PM
chickenosaurus

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane Team Track, 1997 GT Edge, 2012 Kilo TT Stripper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for a saddle, I would recommend a san marco rolls, I have one on my madison and absolutely love it. Significantly better than the ponza that I had on it before.
https://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=S1062
Old 06-16-09, 06:52 PM

Location: Saratoga Springs, NY summer, SLC, UT fall,winter,spring

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Six 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j3ffr3y
for a saddle, I would recommend a san marco rolls, I have one on my madison and absolutely love it. Significantly better than the ponza that I had on it before.
https://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=S1062
I actually really like my San Marco Ponza. It was a take off of of a bike we sold so I picked it up and its really comfortable for being so thin with little padding. And the Gutterball I'm about to order has the WTB Silverado on it so I'll let you know how that goes when I get it.
Old 06-17-09, 08:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The stock bullhorns have a 26mm OD. I would get rid of the stock stem, the one on my lager bends visibly when I put weight on it(Yikes!). If you haven't already, I would ditch the stock chain and front chainring too.
Old 06-18-09, 11:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddac
What's wrong with the stock chain & chainring?
first post!

interested in this as well...i'm beginning the slow process of overhauling my 2008 lager. only change i've made has been a free upgrade on my crankset since the first one somehow came completely out of torque in my first three weeks of riding.
Old 06-18-09, 08:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's wrong with the stock chain & chainring? And the stem bends? It's aluminum dude. If it bends, it'll most likely snap.

How about you put your bike on rollers and make a video of you bending the stem. I gotta see this!

You must be 6'5" 275lbs of pure muscles.
I'm 6'5 and 200lbs of pure muscles. The stock stem on lagers is a cheap cast AL peice, it doesn't take much to make it bend. The stock chainring and chain are pretty poor quality. A cheap KMC Z chain and a 53t chainring off a double make a cheap, nice upgrade.
Old 06-18-09, 09:44 PM
frequent rider

Bikes: 2014 Trek 1.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i completely agree that the stock stem on the lager is sh-it i liked the way it looked but it was pretty cheap. i didn't bend it (i doubt i can with my 5'4, 115lbs body) but the bolts stripped very easily this one time that my boy put on the cf fork. so a stem upgrade could be the way to go, if you want to go lighter, get a cf fork, you could get a new wheelset, i have dillos on veeps, uhm what else... it's up to your imagination i guess. the nitto sounds like a good idea, i recommend a whole new stem for new handlebars though.

about the stock chain/chainring, i've been thinking of upgrading those (except not really anymore since i just bought a new road bike) but they're fine for now, i think.
Old 06-21-09, 09:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you make a video of you flexing the stem? You must be pretty skinny for being only 200lbs & 6'5". You're 6'5 and 200lbs of pure skin & bones. Must have lots of ups though. Wouldn't want to play ball with you.

I'm very interested in seeing you (or anyone for that matter) flexing an aluminum stem while hammering (on rollers or trainer).

So.....let me get this straight. If someone has a double, the inner ring is cheap? Is that how it works?

I don't know man.....
What I am saying is that you can replace the ****ty stock chainring with a quality 53t chainring off a double crank for cheap, not that double chainrings are cheap.
I'm a wildline firefighter, so I'm skinny but strong..not really skin and bones, but not stout by any means.
Old 06-21-09, 10:26 PM
SpecialK

Bikes: 2007 SE Lager

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't weigh much so I haven't had problems with the stem yet. I do plan to replace that soon though. So far I've changed the chain, crankset, BB, pedals, clips, straps and got a new freewheel. Wheelset, stem, bars, and fork are next. I find the stock seat pretty comfy so that will stay for now.

I found that upgrading the drivetrain made a noticable and enjoyable difference.
Old 06-22-09, 08:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clink83
I'm 6'5 and 200lbs of pure muscles. The stock stem on lagers is a cheap cast AL peice, it doesn't take much to make it bend. The stock chainring and chain are pretty poor quality. A cheap KMC Z chain and a 53t chainring off a double make a cheap, nice upgrade.
I'm shorter and fatter and have yet to experience any bending?

Can you elaborate on what makes the chainring and chain poor quality? I haven't really experienced any problems there either.