Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Help with lighting project

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-09, 10:31 AM

Bikes: raleigh mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am an industrial design student at the art institute of colorado and I am designing a new lighting system for bicycles. The focus is on commuter bikes, but i want the system to fit any style of bike. Any suggestions would be helpful. Or if you have any comments about existing lights, good or bad points, that would also be helpful.
Thanks
Old 09-18-09, 11:58 AM
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Oddly enough I had been giving this very issue some thought lately. I imagined a high output battery

powered headlight with one central control, handlebar mounted, thumb operated switch with small

indicator lights in which a one or two headlights and one blinkie taillight or one bright blinkie taillight with

two turn signals can be plugged in to. I remember to turn off the headlight because I can see it, but I

rarely remember to turn off the blinkie light. Two headlights for those who want extra lighting/visibility so

they would have a low beam, high beam, and blinkie mode. Two turn signals because they're more visible

at night and as intuitive as pointing, perhaps when not blinking they could provide a steady on tail light.

A blinkie light that would be distinct enough in either design or pattern so as not to be confused with the

turn signals. How you could run all of this crap off one battery and control it with just one switch I have

no idea. It was my ideal solution, but I think it would also suck up battery life like a sponge sucks up

water.

Last edited by Grillparzer; 09-18-09 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-18-09, 12:41 PM
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by bones davis
I am an industrial design student at the art institute of colorado and I am designing a new lighting system for bicycles. The focus is on commuter bikes, but i want the system to fit any style of bike. Any suggestions would be helpful. Or if you have any comments about existing lights, good or bad points, that would also be helpful.
Thanks

Having built a few lights for my bikes over the years, here are my design issues:
- rechargeable batteries are a must - I like 18650 lions myself
- high and low beam modes are useful and save the battery, I find flashers to be annoying
- my handlebars are crowded already, I like a mount on the underside of the stem
- I have several bikes, so a mount that is quick and easy to change is a plus

Good luck with your project
Old 09-18-09, 03:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I build a lot of lights mainly for mountain bikes, but am branching out to commies now. What I have found is that there is no one light

Each type of riding has it's own specific needs. For commuters it is usually about visibility and manners (not blinding drivers).
Off road it is about power and runtime.

Both require good beam patterns even if they are different beams though.

I think for your purposes look at or beyond the current power applications for commuters. What is the next evolution from batteries and dynamo? I know I have had my interest peaked by some of the new solid state charge systems that are starting to come on the market.

What I have found to be true for myself is that form still follows function, but it can be made to look nice sometimes even beautiful, at least in my eyes
Old 09-18-09, 03:34 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
For GOD'S SAKE, put a PROPER cutoff reflector on the light. Same specs as automobile headlights. German law requires this. I think we'll see it in the US too as we get more people buying 700+ lumen lights that are now getting cheap.

This will not suit off-roaders - they do NOT WANT cutoff lights. But they pretty much don't need taillights either.
Old 09-18-09, 03:57 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Thanks
We're not here to do your homework for you.

You don't sound like you've done even the slightest bit of research into lighting systems.
Old 09-18-09, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
On a dedicated commuter I would love to have a dynamo based system feeding into a rechargeable, with easy to replace cells, battery pack that could either be recharged from the dynamo or plugged into a A/C recharger. Also include a usb recharging point so tourers could use the system to charge usb devices like gps, ipod, phones etc. Say 400 lumens or so front and maybe 100 lumen rear. (your choice of modes on both front or rear; high, medium, flashing) Pay some attention to making the led's upgradable to newer versions that will allow higher output for the same voltage. I also like the option of a lower mount point in the front. I think you get a better throw, it keeps the handle bars cleaner and reduces bumping and jaring the light head. Maybe a mount off the front brake boss to position at the lower end of the head tube.
Old 09-18-09, 04:47 PM
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Thanks
I'll show you mine if you show me yours
Old 09-18-09, 05:20 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by operator

You don't sound like you've done even the slightest bit of research into lighting systems.
Why should he be any different? Some design student comes on these boards about every 3 to 6 months wanting us to do all their work for them.
Old 09-18-09, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is very little research into what makes a rider noticeable. Does a high wattage rear light really do more than a cheapy blinky or even a reflector?

I have read that cyan is the best color for night vision. Is it? With LEDs you can actually choose which colors should be in a headlight.

Bike frames with a headlight mount appear once in a while.

Lighting that mounts on the helmet, I use a hikers headlamp.

I think a light that works off cell phone batteries might be interesting.
Old 09-19-09, 11:43 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT w/Ultegra & Nice Racks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are your manners people? Aren't designers supposed to ask customers what they want before designing a product for them? Hope he wins an award and gets a job at a bike light manufacturer in the US! We need all of the help we can get.

I like German reflectors that increase the amount of light in the beam nearest the horizon, evening out the illumination of the road surface.
I also like their cutoff so I don't blind approaching riders or drivers on trails or on the road.
I don't like chargers that aren't designed to protect the battery if I forget to unplug it Saturday morning.
I like the idea of using a dynamo to maintain the charge, and batteries so it works when I stop.
I don't like high cost replacement lights or batteries, or those that aren't accessible.
I like back-up or redundancy available in lighting/power systems.
I like designs that are meant to get wet and still work because visibility on rainy nights is poor.
I want to be able to see the road well enough at 25 mph, less light to save batteries when I'm not going that fast, and to be seen from all angles all of the time.
I like mounts that position accessories out of harm's way should my front wheel turn suddenly or should the bike fall over while I remove a commuter bag.
I like durability, ease of repair, and replaceable lenses, body, and mount.
I like being able to remove the light and use it to find something in my bags, or so it won't be stolen or vandalized.
If you can do all of that for under $100 and still make a profit, you'll have a bunch of customers.
Old 09-19-09, 11:55 PM
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by operator

+1 Google is your friend!
Old 09-20-09, 10:24 AM

Bikes: Colnago C50

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
One thing I would like to see on my Magicshine is a mount that leaves more room on the handlebars.

Maybe a thin clamp on the bar and the actual headlamp is lifted up slightly to sit over the stem.

Dan
Old 09-20-09, 10:54 AM
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd like the wasted light to hit the ground.
Old 09-21-09, 08:42 PM

Bikes: raleigh mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
your wrong sir

I have actually done a great amount of research already. I was just looking to get some impute from riders outside of Denver. So if you don't want to give me any feedback, that is fine, but don't suggest that I am a lazy person looking for an easy way out because i am not.
Old 09-22-09, 12:27 AM
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I have actually done a great amount of research already. I was just looking to get some impute from riders outside of Denver. So if you don't want to give me any feedback, that is fine, but don't suggest that I am a lazy person looking for an easy way out because i am not.
How about
"Hi guys, heres my ideas for a bike light, what do you think?"
Thats asking for feedback.

Instead of
"Hi guys, please fill this thread with every possible idea for a bike light"
Old 09-23-09, 09:15 AM

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Waterproof.

Indestructible mounting.

How about some way to direct a little of the light to the sides, to make it more likely that the bike will be spotted by a car driver approaching from the side. If the unit has a head light AND a tail light, that side visibility could be a feature of both.

User-serviceable parts inside.
Old 09-23-09, 12:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i took this:

https://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/led/LE2004.htm

{it blinks} and attached two of these:

https://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/led/LE2002.htm

or these:

https://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/led/LE2006.htm

in series/parallel with a 33 ohm resister to this:

https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6390

and you get this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/themosleyvault/2917375264/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rcmurphy/2572112276/

use this if you make any changes:

https://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

i use a single "d" battery holder zip tied close to the hub for each 9v. two on each wheel.
9 leds on each battery last about 1 1/2 hours.

state law says vehicles must use white, yellow or red lights or dazzle car drivers but in two years the only thing cops have said to me is "nice"

hokey spokes, tire flys, monkey shines all use smaller leds and aren't as visiable from the front. these 10mm led flash forward so can be seen a mile away
Old 09-24-09, 12:58 PM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Here are some design criteria that I find important for a front light:
- mounts easily to handlebar, taking up minimal space
- mount holds light securely and doesn't rotate or jiggle
- battery large enough to hold a charge for at least 4 hours but not so large that it's heavy or hard to locate on bike
- low-battery indicator on light
- adjustable cable length from battery to light
- several options for light intensity
- switch that is easy to reach and operate w/ gloves
- easy to install and remove
- I personally don't use the flashing light option, but enough people seem to want it to justify its inclusion
Old 09-24-09, 03:03 PM

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by love2pedal.com
One thing I would like to see on my Magicshine is a mount that leaves more room on the handlebars.

Maybe a thin clamp on the bar and the actual headlamp is lifted up slightly to sit over the stem.

Dan
Like the ones that Princeton Tec uses?

Old 09-24-09, 05:49 PM

Bikes: Fred cycles

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
I would like a light that's like an auto headlight - a low beam with a cutoff so as not to blind oncoming traffic, and a high beam that lights everything. Both need to be good enough so I can easily avoid road hazards and see large objects far enough away to react appropriately. Want a minimum 4-hr battery. Nice if it could be removed quickly & packed away to avoid theft.

I am still considering the German light units for the well-engineered beam pattern, even though the expense is high & total light output is relatively poor. May go with an LED anyway and deal with it somehow -- maybe by frequently riding in low intensity mode. May even still go with a homebrew halogen -- not sure how to get a cutoff design there though -- thinking low watt narrow flood 'low beam' & higher watt spot 'high beam'.

Got back into cycling a couple years ago & doing it seriously now - bought a Cateye EL-300 five LED light - brightness is OK given that it's a 4-AA light - however very disappointed at the narrow, narrow beam.

My riding is done in city & suburban areas - some lit roads, some unlit. Gently rolling terrain, mostly straight roads. Considering doing more mid-distance night riding but I believe the lights I have (EL-300 & smaller) are not good enough.