Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pedals, Best bang for the buck??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-09, 09:32 PM

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

e.g. Most would say for bikes the Caad9 is the best bang for the buck. I'm looking for a similar suggestion in regards to pedals.

From searching the forums I see the popular choices are Look Keo, Shimano SPD-SL, and Speedplay. Are pedals something that are more user specific. e.g. Someone might ride with Look Keo's and never get hotspots etc... yet someone else might use them and experience hot spots.

Overall which pedal am I going to buy and not need to change for many years to come. I'd rather not buy a set of pedals for say $80, to find they aren't worth is only to spend a little more on a second set, When I could of just spent a little more up front on a better pedal and be done with it.
Old 09-27-09, 12:43 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Depends on the style of shoe. If MTB- then go for Shimano SPD shoes and pedals. The small area of cleat/ pedal interface can cause a hot spot on some combinations but I use the the standard MTB pedal in the M520 on most of my bikes. However when I went road- I had the hotspot come in. Went for the A520 instead and this has a longer pedal platform for the foot. Works for me and cheap.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-27-09, 08:14 AM

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
For the road bike I have been using the Nashbar Ventoux 2 for a little over 2000 miles so far since March. no complaints here and they don't break the bank like some of the others and are fully Look compatible. No hotspots with my Shimano R80 shoes either. My Saturday rides are between 70 and 100 miles and my weekly rides are around 30 to 45. Best $35 I have spent.
Old 09-27-09, 09:18 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
I was a dedicated LOOK fan (the orginal not SPD style) until a few years ago, but went to shimano spd. but recently I have switched most of my bikes to this Wellgo from Bianchi. I like the bigger overall platform as it makes starting out at stopssigns and lights easier, I can just put my foot down and go. the double sided is also a big bonous as I do not have to worry about which side is up or turning the pedal to clip in. at $46 they may not be 'best bang for the buck' but they get the job done. and the color is not bad either.

https://www.bianchiusa.com/store/sho...181/parts.html

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-27-09, 05:11 PM
lungbuster

Bikes: Trek 5000 Road, SSFG Road, Kona FS MTN, Frankenbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you like SPD-SL's then the Ultegra's are a good choice,
Old 09-28-09, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
If you're not racing, Speedplay Light Action ($125) pedals are right at that point. Apparently some of the racers like to have more tension for release, but for most of us they're fantastic and models above that are exponentially more expensive for slightly less weight.

If you are racing, or whatever, some people prefer the Zero's. Apparently they don't unclip quite as easy as the light actions, which the racers and regular riders prefer. I haven't tried them though, so I cannot comment on how big the difference is.

So I would go with the Speedplay Light Action's or the Speedplay Zero's. I would avoid the Speedplay X-Series - I have them, and they're really susceptible to getting clogged up with dirt. Apparently the plastic piece in the other two models keeps dirt from getting into the moving spring (I'm seriously considering the light actions myself right now to replace them).

Speedplays are great pedals because they're dual sided (no looking down or flipping over the pedal at intersections or when getting on and off the bike) and they have good amount of float (let's the back of your foot rotate, usually easier on your knees).

I assumed you're looking for a road pedal due to your mention of the caad9. If you're looking for a mountain bike pedal, that's a whole 'nother topic.
Old 09-28-09, 05:00 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pedals are a bit like saddles in that there are many different styles people like and dislike. I have some time attack pedals that I had on all of my bikes for about a year and a half. They work well will MTB shoes and because I like to walk around a bit on some of my rides that is what I prefer. I had some speed play pedals that were light and were easy to get in and out of but they required a road shoe and a café cover to walk in. Speed plays hate getting dirty and don’t like to clip in if you get anything in them. I ended up trading the speed plays for some crank brother’s egg beaters. Some of my friends told me they didn’t care for egg beaters but with stiff soled MTB shoes I haven’t had a problem with hot spots on 75 mile rides. I’ll know more after this weekend’s Century. But I have Time Attack on my MTB and egg beaters on my road bike because both are easy to use even if you get the cleats dirty.
Old 09-28-09, 05:23 PM

Bikes: 2010 Tarmac SL, 2013 Fairdale Weekender, 2013 Fairdale Coaster, 1995 Specialized M2 Pro, 1972 Schwinn Heavy Duty, 2014 Surley Long Haul Trucker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Look Keo Sprints is what I like. Shimano's are pretty sweet too, but I like the entry of a Look pedal better. Speedplay on the other hand... no spanks.
Old 09-28-09, 08:04 PM

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, you'd be correct, I'm looking for a road pedal.
Old 09-28-09, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
Pedals are a bit like saddles in that there are many different styles people like and dislike. I have some time attack pedals that I had on all of my bikes for about a year and a half. They work well will MTB shoes and because I like to walk around a bit on some of my rides that is what I prefer. I had some speed play pedals that were light and were easy to get in and out of but they required a road shoe and a café cover to walk in. Speed plays hate getting dirty and don’t like to clip in if you get anything in them. I ended up trading the speed plays for some crank brother’s egg beaters. Some of my friends told me they didn’t care for egg beaters but with stiff soled MTB shoes I haven’t had a problem with hot spots on 75 mile rides. I’ll know more after this weekend’s Century. But I have Time Attack on my MTB and egg beaters on my road bike because both are easy to use even if you get the cleats dirty.
So I would go with the Speedplay Light Action's or the Speedplay Zero's. I would avoid the Speedplay X-Series - I have them, and they're really susceptible to getting clogged up with dirt. Apparently the plastic piece in the other two models keeps dirt from getting into the moving spring (I'm seriously considering the light actions myself right now to replace them).
Related. Just saying. :-)