Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Old dog trying out a new trick.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 05:56 PM
www.markreynoldsfund.org

Bikes: 1993 Titanium Miyata Elevation 8000, Scattante XRL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Every year I bike all spring and summer long, loose a little weight, and gain a little fitness. Then I go back to work (teacher) and spend the fall and winter gaining the weight back while losing the fitness.

Hopefully that is beginning to change. As part of a wellness program at her office, my wife gets to work with a nutritionist and I get to piggy back. Following the advise of the nutritionist, I have lost 12 pounds since the first of January and have been working out on the treadmill or bike trainer 5 to 6 days a week. I feel good, strong, rarely hungry and my IBS has pretty much dissappeared.

Maybe, I will not be starting from scratch when the riding season arrives this spring. Wish me luck.

Mud

239 and counting down!

Please donate to the Mark Reynolds Memorial First Bike Fund at www.markreynoldsfund.org
Old 02-09-10, 10:02 PM

Bikes: surly cross check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nicely done, my secret to keeping the weight off during the school year is bicycle commuting. I ride ~14 miles per day, and I pedal as hard as I can for the entire ride. My fitness level has been through the roof. In 2009, I ended up somewhere around 4,500 miles, which has been enough to help me lose 35 pounds.

I realize that year round commuting is not for everyone, so good luck to you. It sounds like you found something that will work for you, the secret is to stick to it.
Old 02-10-10, 03:08 PM

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
You should try commuting to work. I've become something of a novelty to the kids here at school. Of course, they're "fixie-this" and "fixie-that" and I'm pretty much pure roadie, but they still like to ask questions and compare notes ("What's the farthest you've ever ridden in a day?").
Old 02-10-10, 03:56 PM
www.markreynoldsfund.org

Bikes: 1993 Titanium Miyata Elevation 8000, Scattante XRL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With my wife's jobs time requirements and the fact that I have to get my own young children to the school bus means that I cannot commute by bike. There is just not enough time. Of course add on to that the I teach in an innercity school in not the most safe area and riding a bike throught there just does not seem to be the best option. It has been working nicely to work out after I get home and before the wife gets home. Thanks for the support.

Please donate to the Mark Reynolds Memorial First Bike Fund at www.markreynoldsfund.org
Old 02-11-10, 08:51 PM
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What's IBS?
Old 02-12-10, 10:19 AM

Bikes: 08 Cannondale Comfort4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

I second the finding something and stick to it. I had the same problem when the school year starts. Time is in such abundance during the summer and then disappears when the school year starts. I have taken up spinning at the local gym. The fact that the class starts at a predetermined time really makes me get there to get my workout in, hard to put it off until later.
Sounds like your plan is working for you. Keep it up.
Old 02-12-10, 06:20 PM
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by irclean
What's IBS?
Originally Posted by 2Klose
Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
D'oh! Embarassed to admit I'm a healthcare student and that acronym escaped me. Glad to hear it's under control!