Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

performance aluminum frame headset question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've been futilely trying to contact performance to get this infromation to no avail. does anyone know what type of headset this frame takes? would any 1 1/8" threadless work? a la something like this?

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...00_20000_64502

thanks in advance
Old 02-14-10, 03:02 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Looking at the picture and reading between the lines, where it doesn't mention integrated or hidden headset, I'd say it's a conventional 1-1/8" pressed in headset. Threaded or threadless depends on the fork, and stem used. Either way, these are highly standardized and all the same dimensions, so feel free to buy the headset of your choice.

You'll need a few tools to press on the fork crown, and frame cups.

Enjoy the new wheels when you're done.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-14-10, 03:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so choosing an integrated hs... is okay?
Old 02-14-10, 03:12 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by thegunner
so choosing an integrated hs... is okay?
No, no, no, no....

Quite the opposite, you need any conventional press fit 1-1/8" headset.

An integrated headset is specifically what you cannot use, which is just as well because these are not as standardized and you'd have go back to the company and find out which you need.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-14-10 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-15-10, 12:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
okay, gotcha... find a non integrated/hidden headset for 1 1/8" headtube. now another question, i have a fork with a carbon steerer...

what exactly do i need to get this working aside from the headset (i assume a compression plug)
Old 02-15-10, 09:34 AM

Yes, you'll need a compression plug, unless the fork comes with one. You'll heed a headset press, and fork crown setter to seat the crown race and headset cups. These are pricey and not used much, so you might be better off letting the LBS do that part of the job, or finding a buddy who already has the tools.

You'll probably need need to cut the steerer down, so a fine blade hacksaw 32-48tpi, or an abrasive blade like those used for ceramic. You can use 2 hose clamps to make a guide for a straight cut, and some emory on a block to smooth the top when you're done. You should also seal the cut end with some touch up paint, or nail polish.

That covers the essentials, though you might also want extra spacers besides the few that usually come with the headset.

Old 02-15-10, 11:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, you'll need a compression plug, unless the fork comes with one. You'll heed a headset press, and fork crown setter to seat the crown race and headset cups. These are pricey and not used much, so you might be better off letting the LBS do that part of the job, or finding a buddy who already has the tools.

You'll probably need need to cut the steerer down, so a fine blade hacksaw 32-48tpi, or an abrasive blade like those used for ceramic. You can use 2 hose clamps to make a guide for a straight cut, and some emory on a block to smooth the top when you're done. You should also seal the cut end with some touch up paint, or nail polish.

That covers the essentials, though you might also want extra spacers besides the few that usually come with the headset.
fork is used, so i'm on my own there, as far as the tools... my friend works in a bike shop and swears by rubber mallot, two pieces of wood, and an oversized clamp. i'll let him play with that.

as far as the steerer, it's already been cut to 200 mm so i doubt i'll need many spacers (zero stack baby!). sounds like i'm 90% solid on what i need. thanks again.