Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Altamont Road in Los Alto Hills

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts

I’ve noticed that the extensive painted warnings for bicyclists entering the “S” turn on Altamont Road in Los Alto Hills have recently been sanded off. The attached PDF gives background to the warnings which were put in as a liability concerns mounted as a result of a spate of accidents in 2005-09.

https://www.losaltoshills.ca.gov/docu...90309_AI14.pdf

I’ve been riding this stretch for 25 years and know how fast I can safely enter it. But I completely understand how the unwary can be taken surprise by it. I thought the road markings were an effective “heads up” (and I’m thankful the township didn’t see fit to add yet another stop sign for “safety” purposes). That’s why I don’t understand why the markings are now gone, does anyone know the answer to this?
Old 03-19-10, 04:47 PM
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe the marking were put in temporarily to see if the number of crashes decreases; and once the study was over, the markings were removed.

Looking at the map in the PDF, the left-hand curve doesn't look like it's a decreasing radius curve at all (like previously discussed here).
Old 04-11-10, 05:45 PM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My friends and I have only recently started a training routine going up Moody Rd. and back down Altamont in a loop. Sure, it's a very exciting (and fast) downhill rush on that S-Curve, but common sense tells me to keep the speeds under 20mph - especially at dusk, with the "after work" traffic coming up the hill. This past Thursday, on our intervals we saw emergency vehicles on the side of the road - the other side of the guard rail. We're not sure if anyone got hurt there - but it certainly sent us into a conversation about slowing down on the hill. Safety comes first - then the fun never ends.

I would recommend having more signs or indicators that the curve is dangerous for bicyclists - or motorcyclists - having only 2 wheels and limited traction.
Old 04-11-10, 06:03 PM
phony collective progress

Bikes: https://velospace.org/user/36663

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlastRadius
Maybe the marking were put in temporarily to see if the number of crashes decreases; and once the study was over, the markings were removed.

Looking at the map in the PDF, the left-hand curve doesn't look like it's a decreasing radius curve at all (like previously discussed here).
Seems like it'd cost more to remove markings and signs than to just leave them there. Not that cost necessarily had anything to do with anything, of course.

Isn't the issue on that curve that it's off-camber on top of being sharper and steeper than it looks, more than necessarily being decreasing radius?

Originally Posted by mtomlins
My friends and I have only recently started a training routine going up Moody Rd. and back down Altamont in a loop. Sure, it's a very exciting (and fast) downhill rush on that S-Curve, but common sense tells me to keep the speeds under 20mph - especially at dusk, with the "after work" traffic coming up the hill. This past Thursday, on our intervals we saw emergency vehicles on the side of the road - the other side of the guard rail. We're not sure if anyone got hurt there - but it certainly sent us into a conversation about slowing down on the hill. Safety comes first - then the fun never ends.
Having personally witnessed a crash (in broad daylight in dry conditions) on that curve, and almost going down myself trying to stop in time, it's always an area I take with extreme caution. Definitely worth at least a sign, in my opinion, be it official or guerrilla.
Old 04-11-10, 07:33 PM
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I heard the paint was slippery, and made it worse, and such it was removed. I bet the posted sign is still there.
Old 04-11-10, 08:01 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mtomlins

I would recommend having more signs or indicators that the curve is dangerous for bicyclists - or motorcyclists - having only 2 wheels and limited traction.
Who are you and your friends, and when are you doing these after-work training rides on that Moody loop?
Old 04-11-10, 09:11 PM
Spinning like a gerbel

Bikes: Seven

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't notice anything different the last time I went through there. Having gone down at that location personally, I do approach it with extra caution nowadays, especially if the road is a little damp.

My Cycling Blog
Old 04-11-10, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Wet road, steep descent and the paint on the road a bad combo for some cyclists. An inexperienced rider could grab a handful of brake right on the white paint and wash out. I'm glad they are gone. I was actually thinking of calling the city and thanking them for doing that.
Old 04-12-10, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I haven't been up there in a while. There used to be a sign at the top of the hill saying something like "Bicyclists - Steep Downhill - 15mph". Is that sign still there? A warning ahead of time is more useful than paint on the steep downhill section.
Old 04-19-10, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
There is a yellow caution sign directed at bicyclists

there now, just before the "S" turn.

I brake hard before the turn and enter it about 22 mph. A short distance later and I've doubled the speed. This is the way I've always ridden it, but it appears some of you at times may be more cautious and use the brakes more.

Too bad they added the stop signs at Moody. Takes some fun out of it.