Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

AWD Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 06:36 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AWD Bikes

Has anyone heard of this before.All Wheel Drive on bikes?

I saw one on sale on CL tonight and looked up the website.

https://christinibicycles.com/bikes-fullsus.php

Seems to me they would weigh a lot and not real sure it would help all that much. I dunno.
Old 07-01-10, 07:26 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Seems to me they would weigh a lot and not real sure it would help all that much. I dunno.[/QUOTE]

You've got it.
Old 07-01-10, 10:02 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've given some thought to AWD bikes and have come to the conclusion that they would only be useful in winter, on snow-covered roads. The best way, IMHO, to implement AWD is to replace the front wheel with one of those electric hubs so that it's basically a front-wheel-drive e-bike but with rear wheel driven by the cranks. I have never tried this, but I think it might provide some advantage in slippery conditions.

Luis
Old 07-01-10, 10:07 PM

Bikes: loadstar (MTB) bianchi (fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pretty slick idea, I don't know that it would help much though. I'd like to demo one.
Old 07-01-10, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i saw a setup like this in the mid 90s or so. it was weird seeing the front wheel turn with the cranks.
Old 07-02-10, 03:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
but I think it might provide some advantage in slippery conditions.

Luis
When I saw this my first thought was on dry single track being a mtb and all. I now could see it working in mud though. Snow too but who rides in the snow?

Still heavy not to mention all the extra stuff that could break.
Old 07-02-10, 12:50 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Unicycle
Old 07-02-10, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by kr32
When I saw this my first thought was on dry single track being a mtb and all. I now could see it working in mud though. Snow too but who rides in the snow?

Still heavy not to mention all the extra stuff that could break.
After last winter, I'm still getting used to NOT riding in snow.
The higher CG means that bikes have a LOT more for and aft weight transfer than cars do. For example, when I'm going up the steep hill to my house, a little tug on the handlebars is enough to lift the front wheel. If I have 95% of my weight on the back wheel, why do I need AWD?

It seems the main thing that front wheel drive would do in snow is to cause the front wheel to skid, dumping the bike. Looks like those big, exposed gears would get lots of snow, ice, and mud in them, too.

Paul
Old 07-02-10, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I would like to try one as well. It may work very well for those short muddy 30% climbs in my area.
Old 07-02-10, 02:14 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You would lose more power to friction in the bevel gears, than you would gain in traction transfer to the tront wheel. You could gain more traction by fitting a banana seat, so you could slide back over the rear wheel.
Old 07-02-10, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewP
You would lose more power to friction in the bevel gears, than you would gain in traction transfer to the tront wheel. You could gain more traction by fitting a banana seat, so you could slide back over the rear wheel.
I don't have the engineering on that so can't speak to the friction, but climbing, the weight distribution is so far forward that rear wheel drive can be useless. On steep descents, it is common to be so far aft on the bike, a banana seat would have to be abot 3 ft long.
Old 07-02-10, 03:19 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Studded tires on both wheels . I have a 12 year old pair of Nokian Mount and Ground Winter tires .

But where I am it only does the Black Ice on the roads every once in a while , so when they are useful I put them on

have wheels with drum brakes , which is a combo near perfect. grabby brakes is not what you want then,

and drum brakes are smooth and weather shielded.
Old 07-02-10, 05:27 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Unicycle
well played
Old 07-02-10, 07:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unicycle
uno fixie
Old 07-02-10, 07:38 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
A solution in search of a problem. The big problem with bicycles is it's wimpy motor. The 2 wheel drive bicycle uses power robbing components to solve a traction problem that seldom arises.

There was a fellow in the St Louis area producing 2 wheel drive bicycles around 15 years ago. His used a pair of bevel gearsets and a flexible shaft to connect the front and rear hubs. Ultimately some fellow bought up his stock and tried to find a market for them. I owned a shop at that time and told him I wasn't interested so he waited until I was out to drop off a boxed bike. After multiple failed attempts to contact him I eventually dumpstered the bicycle. About 6 months later he came in to ask about it. He got real mad. That's when I found out he was an attorney. I must have been on pretty sound ground legally because I never heard from him again.
Old 07-02-10, 07:55 PM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
A solution in search of a problem. The big problem with bicycles is it's wimpy motor. The 2 wheel drive bicycle uses power robbing components to solve a traction problem that seldom arises.

There was a fellow in the St Louis area producing 2 wheel drive bicycles around 15 years ago. His used a pair of bevel gearsets and a flexible shaft to connect the front and rear hubs. Ultimately some fellow bought up his stock and tried to find a market for them. I owned a shop at that time and told him I wasn't interested so he waited until I was out to drop off a boxed bike. After multiple failed attempts to contact him I eventually dumpstered the bicycle. About 6 months later he came in to ask about it. He got real mad. That's when I found out he was an attorney. I must have been on pretty sound ground legally because I never heard from him again.
i wonder if the bike i saw was his creation. i was about 10 years old and went to a bicycle trade show with my dad. i believe it was in chicago.
Old 07-03-10, 08:27 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmmm..... traction.

I don't see how they would be practical. They would have to be considerably more mechanically complex and even worse heavier.

The other thing is this a solution to a non problem? Think about it. Bicycles have large wheels. Generally, large wheels offer good traction. Have you ever even heard of an all wheel drive tractor? Tractors have such big honking drive wheels that they don't need all wheel drive and tractors do pretty well in rough terrain and muddy fields.
Old 07-03-10, 08:47 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

I wonder how he would have responded if you also would have billed him for the space his bike occupied in the dumpster.
Old 07-03-10, 08:52 AM

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat
Hmmm..... traction.

I don't see how they would be practical. They would have to be considerably more mechanically complex and even worse heavier.

The other thing is this a solution to a non problem? Think about it. Bicycles have large wheels. Generally, large wheels offer good traction. Have you ever even heard of an all wheel drive tractor? Tractors have such big honking drive wheels that they don't need all wheel drive and tractors do pretty well in rough terrain and muddy fields.
you are kidding right?

people were installing "front wheel assist" systems in tractors in the 50s, and manufactures started in the 60s:

in the 80s it became popular.

in the 90s it became the "norm" for large tractors

now even small tractors feature "front wheel assist"
Old 07-03-10, 09:19 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
You call those little toys tractors? *This* was a tractor...

Old 07-03-10, 09:34 AM
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
I've given some thought to AWD bikes and have come to the conclusion that they would only be useful in winter, on snow-covered roads. The best way, IMHO, to implement AWD is to replace the front wheel with one of those electric hubs so that it's basically a front-wheel-drive e-bike but with rear wheel driven by the cranks. I have never tried this, but I think it might provide some advantage in slippery conditions.

Luis
What I did. I am happy with the results. It kept me from going down Wednesday night on my way to work.

I was making a hard left on the dirt trail, going too fast, front wheel started to wash out, hit the throttle, it pulled through, no harm, no foul.
Old 07-03-10, 01:41 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pat
Hmmm..... traction.

Have you ever even heard of an all wheel drive tractor? Tractors have such big honking drive wheels that they don't need all wheel drive and tractors do pretty well in rough terrain and muddy fields.
These days a lot of them are. Or else they have tracks.
Old 07-04-10, 12:24 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
AWD on a bike- Work this one out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
reverse T..jpg (102.4 KB, 9 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 07-04-10, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pat
Hmmm..... traction.

I have seen an awful lot of them stuck in mud over the years as well. Normally when weight distribution is other than ideal. 4X4 was invented for a reason.

I am not saying this is a great idea for bikes, but I am always happy to see people trying to build a better wheel.
Old 07-08-10, 03:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kbbpll
All Wheel Drive versus All Wheel All Extremities Drive

Nice garage door.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.