Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

My decent to the Dark Side begins...

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-04, 08:15 AM
Compulsive Upgrader

Bikes: 2002 Kona Deluxe (road), 2001 Cove Stiffee (mtb)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So strictly out of curiousity I began to peek at recumbents and trikes to see what it was all about. I ride road and MTB right now. Well I wasn't too keen on anything until I spotted the Catrike Speed. That is one neat looking piece of work. Even the Road caught my interest. I found myself while looking at all the photo's that I could picture myself owning one of those and cruising into work on one and even going out for longer excursions. Avid disc brakes & levers, Shinamo DT components, I even pictured myself going through my parts bin and digging out some nice spare components and upgrading the Deore derailluers, and yep, even considered how well a set of old school hayes hydros would slow the sucker down.

The hard part is finding a dealer up here in Canada and what they are going for in CAD funds. Right now with the way customs is over in Canada, once it gets to the border it takes forever to get it (certain customs employees are on strike). Not only that but the taxes, duty and shipping would kill me. I know on the Catrike site they are going for $2000 USD. So any help to point me in the right direction north of the border would be appreciated.

Shane
"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power." -P.J. O'Rourke
Old 09-20-04, 09:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This may be a stupid question but can you buy it here and then drive it back to Toronto without claiming it?
Old 09-20-04, 09:33 AM
Compulsive Upgrader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ummm....I like distance cycling, however depending on where I'd have to go and get it that could be a very, very, very long ride. I suppose I could make a two or three day vacation out of it.
"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power." -P.J. O'Rourke
Old 09-20-04, 09:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you might come out ahead AFTER you enjoyed your vacation.

CS
Old 09-20-04, 11:50 AM
Compulsive Upgrader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok. As fun as a two or three day ride on a trike might be, realistically is there anyone who can point me in the direction of a dealer north of the border? Anyone? Please...

Shane
Old 09-20-04, 12:40 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
www.catrike.com and look under dealers, variety of Canadian dealers listed. Being geographically challenged not sure how they relate to you but you can check adjacent states for dealers that are close in the US also. They list dealers in Waterloo and Orillia, Ontario.
Trikes are favored in Ca for their winter handling skills compared with DF bikes. Not as good as
skis though. Steve
Old 09-20-04, 12:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stiffee_shane
Ummm....I like distance cycling, however depending on where I'd have to go and get it that could be a very, very, very long ride. I suppose I could make a two or three day vacation out of it.
So I guess that means you don't have a CAR!

What is it like 2 hours to get from Toronto to the U.S.
Old 09-20-04, 02:18 PM
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The dark side? Nah! You've seen the light! Get a 'bent and enjoy!

'bent Brian