Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

First fixie.. input on quality Vilano

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just bought a bike off ebay. I dont really know much about bikes or quality parts so if someone could break it down for me that would be great. I just want to make sure Im recieving a good bike for the price I paid. Please no rude remarks.

https://cgi.ebay.com/48cm-TRACK-FIXED...item27b50538e4
Old 09-16-10, 10:58 PM

Bikes: 09' Cinelli Vigorelli, 95' trek 950

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
48 is pretty small. nothing wrong with being short, just making sure the bike is the right size.
Old 09-16-10, 11:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well I had to show this one because the one I got was a 54 but it was taken off of ebay because I bought it, it just hasnt been shipped yet. Im 5'9 actually ;P but everything on it is the same so I was using it as an example

Last edited by BrknChnBrknHart; 09-16-10 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-16-10, 11:24 PM
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vilanos are generally not the crowd's favourite around here and you should've done your research before you buy the bike. Their components are sub par, there are probably better deals out there...

But you shouldn't listen what I or any of us have to say, just ride the crap out of the bike.
Old 09-17-10, 12:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why is it that they arent favorited?
Old 09-17-10, 12:18 AM

Bikes: 09' Cinelli Vigorelli, 95' trek 950

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BrknChnBrknHart
why is it that they arent favorited?
like vixtor stated. their components are sub par and there are better deals out there.
Old 09-17-10, 08:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vilano was my first fixed gear as well. If you are building it yourself BE CAREFUL. Make sure that the crank bolts are tight as hell, and grease up the nuts real good. Make sure you tighten the cog and lockring real well too, mine was just like hand tightened. Keep an eye on the dropouts in the rear (where the axle attaches to the bike. On mine, they widened out and the wheel slipped out. Also look out for any play in the bottom bracket. I ended up just replacing it with a Shimano cartridge. I rode the hell out of this bike for like six months and I urge you to do the same, just tear up the street, but please be careful. If you can afford to have it built up professionally, do it.
One thing that really stood out was that their Customer Service was fantastic. I explained my problems, and they just sent me part after part so that i could try to fix it.
Old 09-17-10, 10:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds great! Ill keep an eye on those things thanks! I belive it is coming partially assembled but there is a chance Ill have to put it all together myself. I have a few friends that know a good amount about bikes that will be helping me with that so everything should work out just fine.
Old 09-17-10, 10:46 AM
Oscillation overthruster

Bikes: Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great starter bike. It serves the purpose for you to get into or back into riding bikes and for you to try fixed at a reasonable cost.

If you had gone and bought a complete Gazzetta or an NJS Panasonic as your fist bike you'd get heckled just as much. No one goes and buys a 1000cc sportbike as their first bike and lives to tell the tale. You start out on a smaller chaper bike, learn the ropes and then graduate to what suits you.

Ride the bike, upgrade only what you need then in the spring if you still ride it lots and want to move on up to something that fits you better of fits your riding preferences better then you are only going to be out the depreciation on a $200 bike. Not selling a bike that had a $200 saddle on it.

Enjoy it, ride it, learn about fixed, read up here and choose your paths wisely.
Old 09-17-10, 01:46 PM

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you got it for $ 240 delivered, that's a good value for the Vilano. I have $ 340 in upgrades/repairs and a u-lock into mine. I don't regret the purchase this far into ownership. Mine weighs 26 lbs with a lock, the lock is 2-2 1/2 lbs according to the packaging information. 23.5-24 lbs ? Not bad when a Fuji Feather is 21.5 and Schwinn Madison is 22.5 lbs.

Anyway, are Tec 9's any worse than Origin 8 cranks. Are ProMax any worse than Tektro lower end brakes ? Bikes Direct bikes some don't have the SS freewheel, so they may have a flip flop hub, but you'll have to spend that much more to get what a Vilano comes standard with. Get the wheels trued and they all need that anyway, and you'll have reliable transportation. That may play out down the road when a thief passes up on a Vilano vs the next guy's name brand bike ?
Old 09-17-10, 07:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya I got it for 210 with shipping cost. I was going to get a dawes with flip flop hub drop down bars and front and back break. It is just a standard set up and I would of had to replace the crank and buy pedal straps so all in all it would of turned out being around 200 anyways for a bike that wasnt fully equiped. As long as the bike does what its suppose to do and can handle long distances and tons of hours on the road then Im happy. Ill make upgrades as I go but thats further down the road Im excited about getting it, I cant wait to let that bike tear up my legs as I tear up the road.
Old 09-17-10, 08:56 PM

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$ 210 delivered, when you get it assembled and adjusted you should be satisfied with it ? The first couple of weeks I disliked mine, but after wheel truing and getting what bugs/issues it had resolved, you'll be content. Most seem to think I'm OCD about things any way and they're probably right for the most part.

Mine: Fork was bent, RBO replaced it immediately, no cost. SS freewheel upgraded to Dicta 16T with easy on/off interface $ 21, Wheels trued $ 12 for both lateral and radial truing. Replaced chain tensioners with Origin 8's $ 8.95. Replaced pedals $ 21. u-lock was $ 14. My Vilano was $ 256 delivered, $ 239 for the price, $ 17 tax, free S&H. The bottom bracket isn't the greatest, but I complained and requested a sealed system. RBO sent a Neco bb at no cost. The standard issue bb, axle and cups with a lock ring, I had tighten, ride, adjust, ride, redajust, like 5-6 times. That's because it started clunking. It doesn't clunk any more, so there's no need to put the Neco bb in just yet, but if it goes, I have a replacement bb for it. So I put another $ 85 into mine, probably another $ 10 for new handle bar grips away from being totally done with it. Grips are hard rubber and wouldn't mind softer compound rubber ones. On second thought, as we enter the fall and winter, a Wal-Mart lighting system would be nice too, those are just under $ 20 after tax. I'll probably get the lights before the grips.

If you need any advices, just PM me.
Old 09-17-10, 09:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope I wont run into too many problems with it but I know its to be expected. Ill let you know how it rides when I get it and if I run into any problems with it.
Old 09-17-10, 09:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, since getting the bike, I've dropped from 203 lbs to as low as 175 and currently 181 lbs today's weight. I'm 5'11". With this bike I keep the 700 x 25's aired to the 100 psi max the tire is rated for. I've found that if the tire pressure gets around 90 psi or below, I don't like the way it rides and even handles at the weights I've ridden it. It's ride-able at that psi pressure, but at max air and it feels much faster and responsive. You're 5'9", and no idea of your weight, but I figure I'm at the high end of what this bike can accommodate ?
Old 09-17-10, 11:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im about 130. I have a mountain bike that Ive been riding around and pushing it pretty hard but I want a road bike so I can get the amount of exercise that the mountain bike lacks to give me. Ive been riding for weeks straight and my legs are only a little sore but Im certain the fixie will give me a run for my money and strengthen my legs up quick.
Old 09-18-10, 08:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 130 lbs, you are going to fly on this bike. I can't even imagine being 45-73 lbs lighter on mine. Just get those leg muscles built up and stamina for longer rides. I'd say keep hammering away on your mountain bike for training, then when you ride the 700C's on the Vilano, you'll feel like you're on a vacation. You'll be able to ride a featherweight SS/FG all day long, even if it is a slightly heavier brand/model.
Old 04-14-11, 06:33 PM
Singlespeed Converted!

Bikes: !. Bridgestone 300 SS conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this thread's a tad on the old side.. But I had to chime in and say that I just ordered the Vilano track / SS. Mine was $239 shipped. I'll be getting it delivered this coming Monday. It's my first SS. Seems to be alot of dislike for this brand on these boards. It's what I could afford and I can't wait to get it on the workstand and start tweaking!!
Old 04-15-11, 12:43 PM
Just smang it.

Bikes: Felt F1X, Trek 2300 Composite, Dawes Deadeye

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fattybikejones
I know this thread's a tad on the old side.. But I had to chime in and say that I just ordered the Vilano track / SS. Mine was $239 shipped. I'll be getting it delivered this coming Monday. It's my first SS. Seems to be alot of dislike for this brand on these boards. It's what I could afford and I can't wait to get it on the workstand and start tweaking!!
Congrats on the new bike, but I wouldn't recommend tweaking while you're working on your bike. Especially tweaking on the "crank"
Old 04-15-11, 12:54 PM
rue the whirl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I just bought a bike before doing any research. Please tell me ONLY the good things about my purchase."

If paraphrasing is rude.. my bad. It's an ok bike. You could've done better with the money.
Old 04-15-11, 01:58 PM
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
No frills; perhaps safe?
Old 04-15-11, 11:17 PM
Singlespeed Converted!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just checked my tracking.. My bike is sitting at a UPS hub right here in my city.. like less than 10 miles from me..and UPS won't deliver it til Monday! Gaaaaahhhh!

Yeah, I know I probably could have bought a better bike, but this was real easy on my budget.
I think for a first SS roadie, it'll be fine. I am a pretty good wrench, so I will be likely rebuilding the bike frame up once I get it here..before I ride it. I like the idea of a cromo frame. If the frame checks out, I may swap parts down the road and get this thing custom.
For now, I am just stoked to be getting my first SS

Last edited by fattybikejones; 04-15-11 at 11:26 PM. Reason: added text
Old 04-15-11, 11:24 PM
Singlespeed Converted!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicSchwinn
Congrats on the new bike, but I wouldn't recommend tweaking while you're working on your bike. Especially tweaking on the "crank"
Haha... nice.
Old 04-16-11, 08:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a frameset of theirs off ebay, 90$ shipped, frame, fork, bb, headset and seatpost.
Built it up with stuff I already had laying around, it's decent, especially for the price, and I just wanted it for a beater/work bike anyways.
I really would have liked to have a little better quality welding, and the spacing turned out to be actually about 117 instead of 120, so its a little awkward putting the wheel in, and the dropouts on the fork, one of them was bent outwards a bit, but tightened in real quick with a wheel on it. Minor complaints on a steel bike, especially for the price.
Its geometry is a little funny, but it's got a nice tight rear triangle and it handles well enough, it's pretty light and its 4130, which is my favorite for bombing around nasty city streets on.
Definitely would recommend as a "first fixie" though what's on mine for the most part is probably a hell of a lot better than what comes on it when you buy complete.
Old 04-16-11, 09:05 PM
Singlespeed Converted!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob Glatfelter
I got a frameset of theirs off ebay, 90$ shipped, frame, fork, bb, headset and seatpost.
Built it up with stuff I already had laying around, it's decent, especially for the price, and I just wanted it for a beater/work bike anyways.
I really would have liked to have a little better quality welding, and the spacing turned out to be actually about 117 instead of 120, so its a little awkward putting the wheel in, and the dropouts on the fork, one of them was bent outwards a bit, but tightened in real quick with a wheel on it. Minor complaints on a steel bike, especially for the price.
Its geometry is a little funny, but it's got a nice tight rear triangle and it handles well enough, it's pretty light and its 4130, which is my favorite for bombing around nasty city streets on.
Definitely would recommend as a "first fixie" though what's on mine for the most part is probably a hell of a lot better than what comes on it when you buy complete.
Great looking bike... What attracted me, aside from the low price was the 4130 frame set. Did you end up using the stock BB and HS? Will a Shimano cartridge BB thread into the BB shell?

I ordered the complete bike which is now sitting at a UPS hub and won't be delivered til Monday the 18th..grrrrrr! I also ordered (different vendor) a pair of CST Czar comp tires and Eigthinch grips. I am a little out of shape so I'm thinking about picking up a 42t chain ring to put in place of the stock 46t til I get my legs back. I think this bike will be great for my round town jaunts and will enable me to rely more on cycling as a means of transportation rather than burning $4/gal gas.
Old 04-18-11, 07:58 PM
Singlespeed Converted!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Vilano SS / Fixie

I know there is some bad press on these boards regarding the Vilano SS.
I understand that opinions can be easily formed when you consider the price of these bikes and the fact that alot of folks who post in these threads are seasoned SS / Fixie aficionados; who would be quick to poo-poo the unknown or lesser brand equipment.

Anyway, I got my Vilano today and am very pleased with it! No it's not the best of the best or boutique or whatever.. It just is what it is. And that is a solidly built all 4130 framed bike with good quality components..yes, I said good, not great but sturdy and more than adequate. This is a great first SS / Fixed gear bike and IMHO a really decent frame that will grow with you as budget and experience increase.

I have been riding bikes as an adult for 20 + years and have experience as a bike mechanic having worked in a shop for some time in the past. It is my opinion that the Vilano is a very viable city machine worthy of hanging better parts on down the road.

The only thing (s) I am swapping out are the saddle (already done) the freewheel (stock unit is a tad cheeseball and I want to put a 18t on to save my knees)
And possibly the brake levers once these stockers wear out. Other than that, I am gonna ride it like I stole it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.