Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What kind of grease in BB and hubs?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-04, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

What kind of grease should I use on the BB and the hubs? I bought CRC's Super adhesive grease that I later found out was for slow moving bearings. Does the BB count as a slow moving? I don't pedal more then 2 rps in general. Can I use this grease then? In the hub's on the other hand, what should I use there? A Multipurpose grease for bearings moving in "normal speed" as they say or can I use the super adhesive grease there also? Or should I use multipurpose grease on both the hub and the BB?
I got both a road bike and a mtb if that is any difference. And also, is it ok to use copper paste on the threads here and there on the bike or should I use something else, like loctite?
Sorry for the flooding of this forum but I am building a bike so it is alot to ask about
Old 09-30-04, 05:48 AM
One less car

Bikes: '08 Soma Groove (commuter/long distance tourer), '97 Lemond Zurich (road commuter/tourer),'01 Seven Axiom Ti, '03 Look KG381i, '01 Santa Cruz Superlite X

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use the above for my hubs, headset, BBs, etc... Have no idea what they mean by slow moving bearings... I don't think a hub or even a BB would be considered slow moving, considering the RPMs involved, unless that is say a grease made for a car, then everything is generally considered "slow"

Jay
Old 09-30-04, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay H

I use the above for my hubs, headset, BBs, etc... Have no idea what they mean by slow moving bearings... I don't think a hub or even a BB would be considered slow moving, considering the RPMs involved, unless that is say a grease made for a car, then everything is generally considered "slow"

Jay
Synthetic waterproof marine grease. Cheap and available at wallymart. Actually, anything from white lithium up thru auto wheel bearing grease will work. grease works for anything threaded too.Everything on a bike is 'slow moving'.
Old 09-30-04, 11:12 AM
wildjim

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I've used the Phil grease($7.00) and it seems ok - but. . .

I also purchsed wheel bearing grease from a auto parts store. It is made with the Slick 50 additive and it is very slick. It is green in color as the Phil grease and repels water just as well. The price(4.59) is less than the price of Phil grease for 10 times the amount.

I recently replaced the white lithium grease in an old french bottom bracket and it was dry and smeared like paint in the bearing cups. I don't use the white lithium grease since.

Last edited by wildjim; 10-22-04 at 04:24 PM.

Old 09-30-04, 02:19 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Like Sydney I use Marine Bearing Grease you can get it for $3 a can at Home Depot.