Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

MTB'ers and Spin Class

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

MTB'ers and Spin Class

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MTB'ers and Spin Class

My Aunt teaches an hour long spin class and she challenged me to do it tomorrow at 8AM. I told her i would if she came on a trail with me tuesday. any of you do spin class? Am i going to die? :/
Old 10-15-10, 10:30 PM

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
we are all gonna die sometime, it's part of being human, you gotta realize that and not worry about it....

oh, you mean from the spin class? spin class is different than riding a mountain bike. i've ridden with spin class teachers and dropped them like 3rd grade calculus. i would probably last about 2 minutes in a spin class before i collapsed in a puddle of my own puke and sweat. two separate and different things. go and have fun and enjoy the workout. then go and have fun and enjoy riding a bicycle.
Old 10-15-10, 10:38 PM

Bikes: 1983 Mirage

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was very cocky the first time I went. About 5 minutes into it, I knew I was in trouble.

I will say I was so cocky I skipped the "beginner" and went to the next level. Huge mistake.
Old 10-15-10, 10:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn... Shes gonna win. Either way she wont last on this trail with me
Old 10-16-10, 02:02 AM

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
My road riding partner takes a spinning class. She talked me into it. I told her I hate riding indoors, really I do. I've spent enough time on the trainer to develop a dislike strong enough to force me outside during northeast winters. Anyway, at the beginning of class she set me up. She was telling the instructor that I said it would be too easy. This was a lie. But it had reached the point of no return. 10 minutes in I was hurting. 20 minutes in I knew I had a serious problem. 30 minutes, I was standing in the parking lot waiting to puke. I didn't. Walked back in and tried to keep up the best I could. A couple days later, I took her up one of the biggest climbs we've got around here as payback. She hasn't asked me back to the class since and I wouldn't go if she did.
Old 10-16-10, 06:43 AM

Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to spin over the winter 3 times per week and still maintained it once per week during the summer months. You will find the first class to very tough so don't go at 100% otherwise you'll puke. However, being a cyclist you'll catch up and keep pace with the rest of the class in a few short weeks if you decide to stick with it.

I definitely enjoyed the workout s while I was in the middle of it I was in fantastic shape and I found it helped me with my climbs.

I no longer spin simply because I didn't renew my gym membership given that I run more than anything else.
Old 10-16-10, 10:31 AM
No longer in Wimbledon...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spin class is as hard as you make it, as you control resistance. Some people kill themselves with effort, and some people breeze through on what must be really light settings. Though at the easy end, it's still got to be better than no exercise at all.

I've been to classes a handful of times recently. Some people are obviously working hard, but I've noticed that about half the class walks out without sweaty clothing. (I should add that I live in a country without much of an excercise culture)

Last edited by womble; 10-16-10 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-17-10, 03:43 PM
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
I took a semester of spinning in college, figured I would kill it, given my MTBing experience. It was really hard, but I spun circles around the 60 yr. old overweight ladies who were my classmates! In all seriousness though, it is an excellent cardio workout and kind of fun for a novel change, but it gets boring. Especially if you're used to climbing mountains.
Old 10-17-10, 05:21 PM
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The only problem with spin class is that you don't go anywhere.

First, the furious broker demanded the hedge-fund manager please stop making so much noise. "Then it escalates to 'Shut up!' and "Shut the f--- up!"
The broker complained to the instructor, who "basically shrugs," Davis said.

The broker then allegedly issued the final ultimatum - "If you don't shut the f--- up, I'm getting off my bike." The hedge-fund manager said: "Stop being a baby."

Finally, the ballistic broker dismounts and "charges my client's bike like Leonard Marshall of the New York Giants hitting a practice sled," Davis said.
Old 10-17-10, 08:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats my deal is its stationary and i find that absolutely boring.... but hey at least they teach the class to pop and hip-hop technoesque remixes! :/
Old 10-18-10, 07:40 AM
LCI #1853

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, Fisher Caliber 29er, Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"So... I wonder just how many people are stuck in traffic this morning, going to the gym to ride a stationary bike?"
Old 10-18-10, 12:20 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I did spin classes for two winters and really liked it; AND had the best racing seasons, fitness-wise, following. The class had all levels of riders but that didn't matter because it was Heart Zone Training workouts and the difficulty matched your personal sub-max HR established in the first class. Plus, if you felt like a harder workout that day, you just bumped up your target HRs for that given workout.

The workouts will kick your butt if you want them to for sure. I have since tried two winters on my own on the trainer in the basement and it's boring, hard to discipline myself and just not the same. Wife and I are planning to join the Y next month and we'll get back into formal classes again for the off-season.

Last edited by dminor; 10-19-10 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-19-10, 10:34 AM
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use spinning classes as part of my winter routine. Like many, I dislike riding indoors. I've tried stationary bikes and trainers and found that I generally don't get the same workout intensity that I do with an instructor yelling at me. My first few times spinning were similar to others' experiences. I was sucking wind hard. Once you get a hang of it and treat it as a separate discipline from riding, you may find that it is a solid workout. Because I enjoy cycling, I suck it up through the winter to have a stronger beginning to the following season. I also swim twice a week. That does wonders for cardio fitness.
Old 10-19-10, 11:45 AM
WNCrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you never have done it you will more than likely be spent afterwards. I do spin classes all the time and depending on the instructor, can be rather grueling if they are a masochist.

But enjoy and be prepared to get your arse handed to you. I don't know how long your classes/her's is but at my gym 1 hr. to 1.5 hr. Don't be too cocky and just go and do as instructed.

If she does not ride any mtn. bike or hard stuff you may do to her as she will to you in the class. Just depends.

Main thing...............enjoy! I rode spin class all winter one time before getting back into mtn. biking and was kick'n butt in class. My first trail ride and my partner left my arse behind like last weeks leftovers! It is all relative.

Last edited by BurnNotice; 10-19-10 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-19-10, 01:10 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by junkyard
I use spinning classes as part of my winter routine. Like many, I dislike riding indoors. I've tried stationary bikes and trainers and found that I generally don't get the same workout intensity that I do with an instructor yelling at me. My first few times spinning were similar to others' experiences. I was sucking wind hard. Once you get a hang of it and treat it as a separate discipline from riding, you may find that it is a solid workout. Because I enjoy cycling, I suck it up through the winter to have a stronger beginning to the following season. I also swim twice a week. That does wonders for cardio fitness.
huh? i don't get it. that was helpful and informative. who are you and what did you do with junkyard?
Old 10-19-10, 01:34 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pablosnazzy
huh? i don't get it. that was helpful and informative.
He's always like that. When he isn't.
Old 10-19-10, 02:41 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pablosnazzy
that was helpful and informative.
Like something one might expect from a moderator, for instance.

It's time.
Old 10-20-10, 10:28 AM
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think my account was hacked.
Old 10-25-10, 12:21 PM

Bikes: 08 Cervelo R3, 04 Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coming from a Road Guy if you want to get faster you need to do indoor training. Its essential and one of the few ways to push your body to the limit, its painful, it hurts, you'll feek sick, but when you go out an ride and start destroying people it was worth all the effort.
Old 10-25-10, 12:39 PM
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffs223
but when you go out an ride and start destroying people it was worth all the effort.
Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?
Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.
Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?
Ty Webb: By height.
Old 10-25-10, 03:22 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you need to do indoor training. Its essential

Anyone who can push themselves in some godforsaken health club to the same pain level as when racing up a real hill is mentally ill.

The above statement may not always be true.
Old 10-25-10, 05:50 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
......, its painful, it hurts, you'll feek sick, but when you go out an ride and start destroying people it was worth all the effort.
wow. the need to "destroy" people to feel some kind of self worth, boost your self esteem, or have fun riding a bicycle is kinda sad. and the fact that you have to push yourself sick, punish yourself..... i feel kinda bad for you.

oh, and you spelled "feel" wrong

Last edited by pablosnazzy; 10-25-10 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-25-10, 06:51 PM
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Anyone who can push themselves in some godforsaken health club to the same pain level as when racing up a real hill is mentally ill.

The above statement may not always be true.
Old 10-26-10, 06:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First I'm a road cyclist, I train for races. Second I never mentioned spin class, I train at a friends house. We get a group of people hooked up to computrainers. Its Painful, but without pain you never get stronger. Yes indoor interval training is harder than climbing a tough hill. And to clarify winning races requires beating people. It has nothing to do with self worth, only dedication. Sorry if I offended some people on here.
Old 10-26-10, 07:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyway sorry to get off topic to the OP. You are not going to die, it will be a good cardio workout and at the end of the day it will make you stronger. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.