Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

The Age 40+ Singlespeed & Fixed Gear Thread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

The Age 40+ Singlespeed & Fixed Gear Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 10:35 PM

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
Okay. I have just (re)joined the club: Pulled the trigger and ordered a TimeLine (Gloss Black, 56cm). It should be here in about a week.

TT, I plan to take your advice and get an 18 tooth freewheel, and probably a 19 cog tooth for fixed riding (when the time comes). I'm used to having an 18 back there - my Trek was geared 38/18 and the Speedster was 46/18.

I'm looking forward to this.
Old 01-11-12, 11:14 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by trevor_ash
Everyone, please pretend I'm about 5 years older and welcome me to your club. At 35 I likely have a lot more in common with the gentlemen/ladies here than elsewhere.
I've been posting "on the sly" in the 50+ forum for a while. I think you're good here.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-14-12, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
My latest attempt at an early racing bike:

It's an "in spirit" copy of a TdF bike from the late '20s/early '30s. The tubing is standard diameter 9/6/9, only slightly lighter than tubing used at the time. The angles are slightly steeper as well; 73 degrees rather than the 70-71 that was more common. I just don't know of any lugs that shallow...

I cut the rear dropouts out of 4130 plate. They are about twice as long as standard drops, allowing me to use any gear from 15 teeth to 24 teeth without cutting the chain. I experimented quite a bit with the dropout angle to ensure that the rim meets the brake pads regardless of hub position.

As best as I can tell, by the late '20s Desgrange was allowing freewheels in the TdF, and riders had begun using relatively small gears for the unpaved roads in the Pyrenees. The smallest I have come across is 42x24, so that's what I put on the bike. The other side of the hub has a three speed freewheel; 15-18-21, so I have a pretty broad spread of gears available to me - and as I live in the mountains myself, they all get used!

The tires are 32 mm Dugast cyclocross tubulars. I chose that width as it's consistent with what the period racers were using. They're 'cross tires because they don't make road tires that wide. The very fine diamond tread doesn't seem to add much resistance, and work fine on the fire roads, of course.

Overall it's a light, comfortable, and fast bike, and I like it quite a bit. Still debating whether to put "period correct" steel components and wood rims on it...
Old 01-16-12, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
Overall it's a light, comfortable, and fast bike, and I like it quite a bit. Still debating whether to put "period correct" steel components and wood rims on it...
Perhaps a brown leather saddle instead of a black one, but otherwise would keep as is. Very polished build.
Old 01-16-12, 04:16 PM

You're probably right about the saddle. I wanted to experiment with cutouts a la the Imperial line, and that old black saddle was the obvious candidate. Now that I know I like it, the Honey Special will probably get the same treatment. I think I need to get black half hoods for the brake levers, and remove the white level covers too. And I'd like to replace the stem with a chrome V/O one. Frankly, though, I don't think the bike is especially attractive under any circumstance, so I'm not eager to throw money at the cosmetics. I notice that when I'm riding it I can't see what it looks like anyway...
Old 01-17-12, 10:17 PM

The TimeLine has arrived. The box sits behind me as I speak. After I put it together, I'm going to take it to my LBS for a once over. Pics when all is ready. YES!
Old 01-19-12, 11:07 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
That is just beautiful!
+1

Had a very pleasant 18 mile ride last night. Mid-40s, light winds, very comfy in sweater & unlined windbreaker.

Graffiti equals street cred, right?

A "one & done" at a local bar

Mid-20th century middle school. For some reason, I like this architectural style for schools (maybe cuz it's the era when I grew up)

Old 01-19-12, 06:36 PM

You two have a very strange definition of "beautiful"! I think it's kind of ungainly, myself. But it is certainly helping me get back into shape!

Last edited by Six jours; 01-19-12 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-19-12, 08:36 PM
You gonna eat that?

Yeah, it doesn't have a sleek, modern look. It's definitely a throwback.

Old 01-19-12, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
I spend most of my time in C&V but ocassionally drift into MTB and SS/FG. Turned 50 last year. I did a hilly century on SS CrossCheck (the dark blue one, a '99 I think, with the toe overlap issue) about 5 years ago and have done some time on SS MTB and tried a FG a few times that was much to big for me. I've upgraded my street bike to an '09 SS CrossCheck and have played around with some SS/FG builds on 70s/80s frames and flipped a couple. I have a late 70s Super Course frame waiting in the wings that I'd like to fix, pending angry stem and seatpost issue.

Old 01-19-12, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
The Schwinn Traveler I flipped last year and a Trek 310 I built up this past Fall.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Traveler SS 001.jpg (101.9 KB, 88 views)
Elance 310 SS 001.jpg (103.2 KB, 87 views)

Old 01-20-12, 06:04 PM

Bikes: some

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I turned 48 last Oct., been riding this SS for 10 years. I usually take my Panasonic out, but I still love the Schwinn. (unfashionable as it is)
Attached Images
IMAG0129.jpg (100.5 KB, 105 views)
Old 01-22-12, 04:44 PM

A brief test ride on the TimeLine today. Very nice. I'm pleased that I chose this one. Thanks again for the prod, TT.
Old 01-23-12, 06:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the things I find myself enjoying most about fixed gear is maintaining and modifying the bike myself (as much as is possible). When I was younger and riding geared bikes I never did anything beyond putting air in my tubes. Everything else was done at the bike shop. Back then it took Sheldon Brown's website just to get me to learn to change my own tires, but I was totally unwilling to take on the project of putting together my own fixed gear bike (back then everything was track bikes or conversions),

Now that I finally have a fixed gear it is a pleasure to open up a new box of parts or just to do routine maintenance. I've spent a small fortune on new tools and spares, et al. In all, very satisfying to able to take care of it myself. Just changed the chainring and chain this morning, though I suspect the kool-fixie-kidz will sneer at the mismatched colours.

Old 01-24-12, 11:04 PM

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
hello all, first time here...i'm an old guy too

i just built this baby.

there's a thread on the road bikes forum about the build. thought maybe folks here might be interested. oh... it's a singlespeed.

ha... had to laugh at myself. i submitted the reply before i posted the pic, then my text explaining that the bike is a singlespeed made me look stupid (not that that's an uncommon occurrence. ) so rather than fix it, i'm offering this lame excuse.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 01-24-12 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-24-12, 11:40 PM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
The bike looks real nice. If it's a singlespeed, meaning the rear cog is a freewheel, then it should have a rear brake. Also, while I'm nitpicking, the front quick release lever belongs on the left side. How did you get the correct chain adjustment, magic ratio, eccentric rear hub, luck ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 01-24-12 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-25-12, 12:10 AM
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
QR on the right? why is that an issue?
Old 01-25-12, 03:26 AM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_
QR on the right? why is that an issue?
Merely convention. Shouldn't matter on your bike, though.
Old 01-25-12, 05:05 PM
Blank Generationist

Bikes: Raleigh, Peugeot, Colnago, Koga Miyata, Shogun, Meral

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We'll rent the velodrome in Kaarst/Büttgen in Germany this Sunday for a first Track Day for classical track bikes. There will be pictures of the event within the next days on our website Klassikerausfahrt.
Attached Images
Poster III.jpg (96.3 KB, 84 views)
Old 01-29-12, 10:22 AM
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a bout w/mono, meningitis(from a tick)and encephalitis that showed up during a fg century I was doing Christmas Eve...couldn't finish and felt exhausted in a way that was beyond normal. I'm doing my first ride in over a month. Doing 10-15 easy miles on my fg today. Was out for 3 weeks when finally cleared by the ID doctor to return to work. Spent one week in the hosp being IV'd like crazy. FOUR bags of fluid hanging the whole time. Crazy. Have been back to work for 2 weeks now...driving everyday while my strength has gradually returned.

Was just getting my legs back under me after a year of various illnesses and unemployment. It's frustrating knowing the amount of atrophy that's occurred, but it'll all come back. Just takes time. Fortunately, my rt daily commute is 42.2 miles and I've got a geared bike as my main 'mule'. I'll use that for the first few weeks as I get my legs back again.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on and on, but it'll feel real good to be back on my fg conversion...my favorite bike. It's sunny and about 45-50 degrees F here today. Perfect.
Old 02-03-12, 01:06 AM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts

I just turned 64. After selling my old fixie, I treated myself for my birthday to a new bike. It's a Wabi, with a polished steel frame and nice looking lugs. I picked it up yesterday and have gotten a couple of rides on it.

The bike is not heavy, and the ride is smooth, as well as quiet. I think I'm in love.
Old 02-03-12, 01:40 AM
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice to see one outside promo shots!

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 02-03-12, 09:48 AM
I Love My Dream

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm celebrating my 53rd birthday this month with a new SS bike...

Old 02-03-12, 09:48 AM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
That frame is stunning ! Too bad Wabi doesn't make a 650c wheel version for us little folks. Hint hint.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 02-05-12, 07:56 PM

Back in the game:

TT, you're right about going clipless. The stock pedals are okay; I'm not used to clips and straps, having ridden platforms only (you have a Speedster, so you know what I mean there, and my Trek was the same way). So far, I find them a bit tough to get into. I expect it to get easier, but clipless would be the best solution.

I like the fit. It's a 56cm, and it's very comfortable. Very light, certainly compared to everything else I've ever ridden, so it climbs like a scared cat in comparison. I haven't changed the stock freewheel yet. So far, it feels good as is, ditto the saddle. I'll know better after I do a long ride over one of the East River bridges (Brooklyn, Manhattan, Williamsburg) and uptown. But so far, so good.

I love the bike - an early (very) 47th birthday present. Thanks for the advice.
Attached Images
22512TimeLine1.jpg (99.0 KB, 90 views)
2512TimeLine2.jpg (103.5 KB, 120 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.