Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Dry Wet Dry Snow Dry Wet Saturday Ride

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-11, 10:56 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Well, my plan was to ride SART in the rain on my MTB. A little something different but then Eyemage calls and asks if I'd be interested in a GMR run since it's not s'posed to rain at about 1 pm. Huh, no rain on GMR? Heck, let's go for it anyways, I'm ready for rain on knobbie tires!

So we're at the start and no rain, Pfft! Bummer. We're riding up higher when Eyemage points out the rain from a distance, it's coming! We hit Newman's Saddle (6 miles up) and it's freezing. Still the entire ride to the shack and no rain, bummer. Just as I lay down my bike Eyemage says it's snowing. Snow, I wanted rain but snow? Heck, I thought Eyemage was done with his busines sbu the went back for seconds and I was off. We were at the shack for about 2 mintues, no more.

Light snow at the start of the descent but man, snow hurts the eyeballs. Next thing I know, hail! Hurts but no problem.. Then BAM, bunch-o-hail! Ow, now that hurts haha! Then more snow, then rain, then hail but we escape with our lives.

Nex thing I know I see some dude coming up on a roadbike, not quite yet in the storm but it's freaking freezing at this point. I'm thinking I should warn this dude (as Eyemage did moments earlier) but after a good look, it's Hillbasher. I know the dude is nuts (and alwsys well prepared) so I let him ride by with a greet.

The last few miles down were also freezing with the wind and all. But we lived and managed to make our way back to The Habit for some goodies and some classic Eyemage interview haha!

Jason at the start of the climb, superfast dude!

Old 02-19-11, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a "nice spring day" around these parts Another cool vid - Is the camera waterproof?
Old 02-19-11, 11:28 PM
Randonneur in Training

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Coda Sport "The Coda!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz

Breathtaking!
Old 02-20-11, 12:56 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by magohn
That's a "nice spring day" around these parts Another cool vid - Is the camera waterproof?
No, I recorded for a bit then put in a baggy for the descent. On wet days I'll carry a couple new baggies just incase I need to protect the cameras from water.
Old 02-20-11, 12:59 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by B.Alive
Breathtaking!

Thanks, although it doesn't capture the whole enchilada, it shows better than I expected.
Old 02-20-11, 01:35 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good stuff I have to admit, I don't go climb in those conditions. I like to haul ass on descents and I hate the pain of hail hitting me, so I am a "fair weather climber". Yeah, I know I'm a wimp, what can I say
Old 02-20-11, 01:47 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill
Good stuff I have to admit, I don't go climb in those conditions. I like to haul ass on descents and I hate the pain of hail hitting me, so I am a "fair weather climber". Yeah, I know I'm a wimp, what can I say
Well today, the MTB was nice for he wet road but now I see the difference between disc and v brakes. My v bakes got wet and they didn't stop well so I couldn't get a good speed going. Couple weeks ago an MTB rider flew over the side (dry conditions) so I was playing safe. Plus there were cars driving fast up there....in the rain, bunch of dopes. I was worried that if one headed my way, I wouldn't be able to use the brakes and I aint no fool.
Old 02-20-11, 01:55 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well today, the MTB was nice for he wet road but now I see the difference between disc and v brakes. My v bakes got wet and they didn't stop well so I couldn't get a good speed going. Couple weeks ago an MTB rider flew over the side (dry conditions) so I was playing safe. Plus there were cars driving fast up there....in the rain, bunch of dopes. I was worried that if one headed my way, I wouldn't be able to use the brakes and I aint no fool.
I LOVE the disk brakes on my recumbent! They stop on a dime.

I really need to get a properly fitting hardtail MTB with front suspension so I can check out some of the new trails they built close to "The Salmon Falls Sufferfest" road climbing route.
Old 02-20-11, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You call that snow? Great vid Beanz, I really enjoyed watching you guys get pelted with hail. I was actually laughing out loud.
Old 02-20-11, 02:51 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by iforgotmename
You call that snow? Great vid Beanz, I really enjoyed watching you guys get pelted with hail. I was actually laughing out loud.

You forgot to ask Mr. Beanz "where's the music?"
Old 02-20-11, 09:42 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

You forgot to ask Mr. Beanz "where's the music?"
There wasn't really much ride footage, not enough for a song. I really wanted it to rain so that I could capture plenty of wet footage, but ...........NOT!
Old 02-20-11, 09:45 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There wasn't really much ride footage, not enough for a song. I really wanted it to rain so that I could capture plenty of wet footage, but ...........NOT!
That's ok. You'll never see me complaining The sound of the hail pelting you and your reaction to it brought back some painful/funny memories of being caught in a hailstorm on my bike years ago. Ow!
Old 02-20-11, 09:57 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by iforgotmename
Thanks!..........We did a forum ride a few years back ( 2004'ish, another cycling site). 30 riders to the village (20 mile climb). At the village we had no warning but it started pouring. We had to descend the 20 miles, good thing Gina was there to SAG one of the gals down. She got too cold and only wearing shorts and a sleeveless jersey. Not to mention the threat of landslides which are common on GMR in the rain and that the gate halfway down the road was closed. Only 4 miles in, the gal realized it wasn't happening, so I sent her in the truck the oppiste direction cause it was safer, 7 miles straight down rather than 21 across with fear of landslides. We made it but it was the most freaking cold I had ever been on a bike. Soaking wet in a jersey and shorts, no covers. 29 degrees but wet and descending I had this feeling that I wanted to lay down on the side of the road and go to sleep. By the time we got down, the mountain was covered with snow.

So I was ready for the rain but unfamiliar with snow, I headed down before there was any chance of getting buried alive haha! Usually we sit at the shack (top) for 10-20 minutes before we descend. We were there about 2 minues, started snowing so I said "see ya". Another poster was there right after us and he said it was getting covered. But I wasn't waiting around haha! Once we were 2 or 3 miles lower, then it was only off and on rain.

So for you, no not snow. Fer me, I'm not sticking around long enough to find out haha!
Old 02-20-11, 10:02 AM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That's ok. You'll never see me complaining The sound of the hail pelting you and your reaction to it brought back some painful/funny memories of being caught in a hailstorm on my bike years ago. Ow!
Haha! Funny that when it starts, man it hits everywhere. Even the tongue if you open your mouth to breath. On the short little climb of the descent in the vid was where it was the hardest. On the descent at 20+ it was real hard to keep my head up. Every little drop of hail stings the face. Scary cause you want to put your head dwon but with my luck, if I did, thats when ae big dump truck would show up, end of video haha!
Old 02-20-11, 10:12 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haha! Funny that when it starts, man it hits everywhere. Even the tongue if you open your mouth to breath. On the short little climb of the descent in the vid was where it was the hardest. On the descent at 20+ it was real hard to keep my head up. Every little drop of hail stings the face. Scary cause you want to put your head dwon but with my luck, if I did, thats when ae big dump truck would show up, end of video haha!
Damned if you do, damned if you don't Now I don't feel so bad about not wanting to climb in those conditions

You guys got the storm we were blessed/cursed with for two days straight from the 17th to the 18th. You can have it!