Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

N+1? What do you think?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

N+1? What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 04:18 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
N+1? What do you think?

After 2 years and 12k mi on my Moto I'pro, the new bike bug bit me. The local racing club pro (zMotion, Grant Potter) is in love with this with this new bike, and it seems to be getting a lot of attention, at least on the local scene.

I don't think at my age I'll be buying another bike, and on a semi fixed income value is very important. N+1 may be a misnomer as I would probably sell off the I'pro to offset some of the expense of the new ride.

I know its' probably far more bike than I really need but you only go around once, and my round is far closer to the end than the beginning.

I don't know much about SRAM and Double Tap, so a test ride becomes all the more important. It's nice to know the "factory" (well, more like the Corporate HQ and the N. A. distribution point is about 6 mi from my house.

Stradalli Trebisacce Red Pro

Note that this is a kit bike. You get the frame in one box, and all the components in another. It is NOT pre-assembled (like BikesDirect). If you are not a wrench, you will have to hire one or an LBS to assemble the bike.
Old 05-20-11, 04:39 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since your question is simular to asking a drug addict if he should buy more pot. My professional opinion is, yes buy it right now.
Old 05-20-11, 04:52 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Since your question is simular to asking a drug addict if he should buy more pot. My professional opinion is, yes buy it right now.
Well, I guess I got the answer I was hoping my wife would give, but from the collective mind of BF I was looking more for thoughts on the selection itself. You are welcome to chime in with your opinion.
Old 05-20-11, 05:10 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sram Red, 50 mm carbon clinchers, ceramic BB and other high end bids. What's not to like at that price. I don't know any thing about the frame or company offering it so I can't comment on that. The bike is most definitely race worthy.
Old 05-20-11, 05:17 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
...the tapered 1 1/8 to 1 1/2" headset is also an outstanding feature. It's the complete package.
Old 05-20-11, 06:37 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
^^ this.

But I'd ditch the clinchers and get some tubular carbon rims. I mean go big as long as this is a treat anyhow. My bet is you'd love the bike.

J.
Old 05-20-11, 08:35 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am having difficulty picking my tongue off the floor and the keyboard is covered in drool.
Old 05-21-11, 12:19 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Not a name I know- and as such I would have reservations till I rode one. The local club may like it but is it just one or two members that like it? Or many of the members?

On the components- Spec seems to be good but a lot of "In-house" named parts there that I would be worried about unless they are rebranded from a Good Maunufacturer. I am looking at the negative side as I have not seen the bike and that would be the next thing to do. See one in the flesh and Test ride.

But I do think that this one bike worth considering and if the ride suits- Then why not.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-21-11, 04:42 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Not a name I know- and as such I would have reservations till I rode one. The local club may like it but is it just one or two members that like it? Or many of the members?

On the components- Spec seems to be good but a lot of "In-house" named parts there that I would be worried about unless they are rebranded from a Good Maunufacturer. I am looking at the negative side as I have not seen the bike and that would be the next thing to do. See one in the flesh and Test ride.

But I do think that this one bike worth considering and if the ride suits- Then why not.
Going to the HQ this week. Don't know if they have demos available in all sizes but I'll bring my stuff in case. A buddy of mine has a 54 cm model I can try. I ride a 56 but it should be close enought. He got the frame only and built is as a DA bike. Comes in at 15.5 lbs.

I'm thinking of getting the carbon wheels and part them out. I don't know why I would need carbon wheels. MY BWW BlackRace Wheel set are the same weight, and bomb proof.
Old 05-21-11, 06:44 PM

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing wrong with SRAM. I've test rode it, and it's easy. I know a lot of people who have strong bias to SRAM, and feel it is in every way superior to Shimano.
Old 05-21-11, 07:38 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by bobthib
Going to the HQ this week. Don't know if they have demos available in all sizes but I'll bring my stuff in case. A buddy of mine has a 54 cm model I can try. I ride a 56 but it should be close enought. He got the frame only and built is as a DA bike. Comes in at 15.5 lbs.

I'm thinking of getting the carbon wheels and part them out. I don't know why I would need carbon wheels. MY BWW BlackRace Wheel set are the same weight, and bomb proof.
The light carbon wheels might be the biggest thing you could do of anything. In fact, it would make your current bike seem like a whole new ride. I switched from a wheels set I'd built up (nice set of wheels) to a set of carbon tubulars. Weight savings was something like 700g including tires and it was a *huge* difference.

J.
Old 05-22-11, 12:52 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Check the weight of the wheels. Unless you are up to race speed and putting the bike up to the stress of racing I could agree that carbon wheels could be an extravagance that could be forgone. BUT- If those wheels are rebranded from a good manufacturer and are apreciably lighter than the ones you are thinking of getting- then go for them. GOOD-L/W wheels are an asset to riding that I don't think I would like to miss out on.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-22-11, 06:36 AM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Going to the HQ this week. Don't know if they have demos available in all sizes but I'll bring my stuff in case.
Bob,

I searched the web on these bikes - one guy said he went to the main office in Fla and was so impressed he went home with a bike. I recommend you leave your wallet at home so your are not tempted

As far as the wheels, I was given a set of carbon easton aero wheels a few years back, I sold them and bought a new drive train for one of my bikes.

There are two things to consider, weight and aerodynamic performance. These two aspects usually fight each other. CF wheels allow you to get more aerodynamics at a lighter weight. So even though you current wheels are the same weight, these wheels may be better from and aerodynamics perspective and thus give you an edge at speeds > 18mph.

With that said, I would probably do the same thing and part them out, although I have a CF bike, working around the material scares me a little because it can be easily damaged if mishandled and fixing a flat when you are rushed and tired is a great opportunity to mishandle the rim. I might be totally wrong, but at this point I am not ready for CF wheels.
Old 05-22-11, 07:32 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Super nice! The thing I would closely check is the overall "stiffness" and how that effects ride quality. My preference is towards frames that reduce road buzz so as to not feel beat up after doing 60-100 milers. I've been on bikes that were too stiff in the wrong places and you really noticed it on the longer rides. Wheels can make a difference in ride quality as well. The only way I know to really find out is to do a longish test ride including some rougher roads towards the later part of a ride.

I suspect the 50mm wheels are perfect for your area-and they would be fine for the everyday rides I do around my house. However I'd want some lower weight clincher wheels for rides with a lot of climbing-like DA 7900's.
Old 05-22-11, 08:23 AM
gone ride'n

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Note that this is a kit bike. You get the frame in one box, and all the components in another. It is NOT pre-assembled (like BikesDirect). If you are not a wrench, you will have to hire one or an LBS to assemble the bike.
We all know this is a done deal so when you order it have it shipped to me and I will gladly put it together for you and make sure it is all in working order, I guarantee I will have it back to you by the end of Sept.
Old 05-22-11, 06:14 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
We all know this is a done deal so when you order it have it shipped to me and I will gladly put it together for you and make sure it is all in working order, I guarantee I will have it back to you by the end of Sept.
Fool, that is a generous offer, and considering I'll be there in July it might be tempting. lol.

I had a chance to ride the frame today. My buddy the wrench bought the frame and built it up to about 15.5 lbs @ 54 cm. I was picking up a set of tandem wheels that he tensioned and trued, and he let me take it for a ride. I was in street cloths and some sandals. What I can tell you is this frame is STIFF!

I'm a bit apprehensive as JPPE as pointed out, as to how comfortable this bike would be on a long ride. Most of my rides are 40 - 50 mi rides, but I do a metric or century about monthly. I'm not sure how comfortable this bike would be. And since I was unprepared, I really didn't get to stress the bike as I would like, nor did I get to ride it as far as I would like.

I'm really considering the model with the HED wheels, and then part out the wheels. I think I could get about $1200 for them as the retail for $1800. I might even part out the SRAM Red (Black) gruppo. It retails for $2100, and I should be able to get $13-1500 for it. That leaves me with the frame and other parts. All I would need to do is install my DA brifters, and get a brake set and crank and chain and associated bits and pieces. That has got to be less than $500. I will use my BWW BlackRace Wheel set and cassettes. Then I can put my spare ultegra brifters on my old bike and I should be able to sell it for 800 - 1000.

They do have some other frames that are a bit more comfortable, so if they have demos perhaps I'll get to ride a few. I'll bring my shoes, pedals, and helmet just in case. Perhaps I can find a nice frame that I can build up as I described above. Just maybe.