Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Would I look like a TOOL if I did this?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 03:29 PM
Local Genius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a TREK 4300, that is slowly becoming something else, I have an MX PRO ETA Marz. forkand a Race Face DH crankset this bike is slowly becoming a frankenstein bike. My Q is, I have a prob with my chain, whenever I land a jump, gap, etc. my chain will sometimes jumpoff the ring. Would it be totally stupid to put a chainguid on my bike, the crankset is the Evolve DH, and has 2 rings. IF SO could you point me in the direction of a good guide, Im shooting for less than 200. thanx soo much.
-Jacob
Old 11-08-04, 03:33 PM
Digs technical steeps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snakehunter
I have a TREK 4300, that is slowly becoming something else, I have an MX PRO ETA Marz. forkand a Race Face DH crankset this bike is slowly becoming a frankenstein bike. My Q is, I have a prob with my chain, whenever I land a jump, gap, etc. my chain will sometimes jumpoff the ring. Would it be totally stupid to put a chainguid on my bike, the crankset is the Evolve DH, and has 2 rings. IF SO could you point me in the direction of a good guide, Im shooting for less than 200. thanx soo much.
-Jacob
If you changed from three chain rings to two (eliminating the largest ring) and did not shorten the chain, your chain might be longer than it needs to be. Might eliminate the problem.
Old 11-08-04, 03:38 PM
Pedalphile

Bikes: better ones than yours

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your cranks are worth more than the rest of your bike. Get a new frame so you dont die.
Old 11-08-04, 03:41 PM
Local Genius

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im working on the frame part, MAYBE for Christmas, but not too sure, Im in college and the money deal is mostly on me, Im working on a new frome from the rents, but thats not looking to prosperous, BUT theres always summer jobs.

Ill try the chain shortening, how many links do you think I should loose?
Old 11-08-04, 03:44 PM
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

1. Remove the chain.
2. Shift the front derailleur over the largest chainring you have, and the rear derailleur on the smallest cog.
3. Thread the chain through the front derailleur. It is not necessary to thread the chain through the rear derailleur at this point. Simply wrap the chain around the largest front chainring and around the largest rear cog.
4. Pull the chain tight, and note the closest rivet where the two could be joined. Keep in mind a chain can only be joined by mating inner and outer plates.
5. From the closet rivet, lengthen the chain by counting over an additional two rivets (two links), which is a distance of one-inch. Cut the chain at this point.
6. Remove the chain from the bike and thread it through both derailleurs and join the ends.