Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are You Happy with the Direction of Your Life?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with the direction of your life?
I am 50-59 and am happy with the past and future direction of my life.
42.98%
I am 50-59 and am not happy with the past and future direction of my life
12.28%
I am 60-69 and am happy with the past and future direction of my life.
32.46%
I am 60-69 and am not happy with the past and future direction of my life.
2.63%
I am 70-79 and am happy with the past and future direction of my life.
5.26%
I am 70-70 and am not happy with the past and future direction of my life.
0%
I am 80+ and am happy with the past and future direction of my life.
0%
I am 80+ and am not happy with the past and future direction of my life
0%
Something else - please tell us below!! Thanks
4.39%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-11, 07:03 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

This is an anonymous, single-choice poll.

OK, we are "growing up" now, and have successfully (more or less) made it through the preteens, teens, 20's, 30's and 40's. Some have made it successfully (or not) through the 50's and/or 60's and/or 70's.

Looking back and into the future - as best as we can - are you pleased with the direction of your life at this time? Or as you see it for the future? Is the degree of happiness with the direction of your life age related? Is it bicycling related? Are those who are older more or less satisfied?

Take this very simple poll to give us a summary, then tell us more below. Please include bicycling as it relates to your overall feeling of direction.

What changes would you like to make? What changes can you make? Would/could you make those changes? Will you make those changes?

This is just for fun and perhaps some food for thought.

(note: There is a slight error in the poll question. Poll question:

"I am 70-70 and am not happy with the past and future direction of my life."

Should read

"I am 70-79 and am not happy with the past and future direction of my life."

It is not possible for me to edit poll questions once they are posted. Perhaps a mod could correct this small error?)

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-18-11 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-18-11, 07:18 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thinking this early in the day hurts my brain. I'll try to answer this later today.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-18-11, 07:26 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
At age 60, I am the luckiest SOB I know, w/ two fine young adult sons, my beautiful college sweetheart wife, a paid-for home in a great neighborhood, a successful career in high tech and graduate-level teaching, and solid financial security (thanks in large part to my Scots-Yankee frugality). Oh yeah -- I forgot to mention my excellent health, which I owe to 100k cumulative miles of road bicycling. I am certain my passions for bicycling and classical music have supported my mental and emotional health, as well. Bicycling has also contributed greatly to my social well-being. Through it I have met numerous wonderful folks online, in person, or both (e.g. Dnvr and Nora).

If I had not discovered bicycling at age 12 and an abiding passion for it by 18, I would probably now be an overweight diabetic heart attack survivor, if still around at all.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-18-11, 07:48 AM

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Greenway, 2011 Raleigh International, 3 - '73 World Voyageurs, Trek 700

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hip replacement in 2008 set me back a bit, but now I am back into riding most days and my wife has decided to join me on the trails! She is riding up to 30 miles a day now and we are having a great time. My 3 kids all went to college and are employed so life is good. Oh, and next week my new bike will be ready - 2011 Raleigh International.
Proud owner of all three colors made! Orange, Blue , Yellow .
Old 06-18-11, 07:56 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Take out the "past" part and I'm very happy with the direction of my life. A father who was a Army drill instructor when I was growing up, and a bad marriage has made the past something I'm glad is past. Now, I've got an incredible wife, two sons I not only love, but like as people, employment that I'm good at, and my dream bike. As I look at the road ahead, I'm pleased with what I hope will come.
Old 06-18-11, 08:51 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am one of those folks who look back and can see things I would have liked to changed but also see just how balanced a life I have led. For example, although not an alcoholic, I wish I had not drank so much in a period of my life, I think it hurt my relationship with friends and at work for a period of 3 or 4 years until I figured out that the price for feeling giddy in the evening wasn't worth being grouchy the rest of the time (it does that to me). Although my oldest daughter is fine and we have a great relationship I wish I was as good a father to her as I am to my youngest, I raised the first one when I was still growing up myself. But all in all it's been a great ride, a successful career in which I have been able to improve the lot of mankind in some small ways. I could have made more money but would not have had as much fun.

As I am getting close to the time I count the years to retirement on one hand, in the big picture the job is great. My future is fine, working for the same company for over 30 years with a grandfathered defined benefits plan and years of investing I should not have financial issues (unless all hell breaks loose). My wife is still healthy and we still enjoy each others company. So I think the future looks pretty good for me at least. I worry about my kids - but who doesn't.

I have my choice of three nice bikes, none of which are new anymore but each of which is a great ride.

My biggest problem is that the day to day stuff seems to be less than great. I have to keep reminding myself just how good I really have it and that the grass is not any better on the other side of the fence, it's still grass, it still needs to be cut, weeded and taken care of every day.
Old 06-18-11, 09:28 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
Take out the "past" part and I'm very happy with the direction of my life. A father who was a Army drill instructor when I was growing up, and a bad marriage has made the past something I'm glad is past. Now, I've got an incredible wife, two sons I not only love, but like as people, employment that I'm good at, and my dream bike. As I look at the road ahead, I'm pleased with what I hope will come.
But consider this: All of your past experiences, both the good and the bad, were necessary to get you to where you are today. Since you like where you are today the past, while unpleasant at the time, has been good to you for the long run.
Old 06-18-11, 09:55 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.5 FX, Trek Navigator 2.0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am happy with my life, but I'm sure all of us have things we wish we had done different, or events that have occured in our lives over which we had no control. No matter how old we live to be, life is short. Just like a race, we can't look back. 2 Peter 3:8 says a thousand years is one day to God. Since I'm 66 that means I have been here 1 hour and 35 minutes. I know that scripture is not literal, but it gives us and idea of how short life is. Make the best of it.
Old 06-18-11, 12:08 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
But consider this: All of your past experiences, both the good and the bad, were necessary to get you to where you are today. Since you like where you are today the past, while unpleasant at the time, has been good to you for the long run.
I don't believe that for a minute.
Old 06-18-11, 12:31 PM
P51

Bikes: Trek 7300, Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty happy with the past, but tired of the corporate rat race. Fifteen years until retirement seems like a long time in a job I dislike. But I have decent pay and good benefits, and it beats the heck out of looking for a job, so I won't complain too much.
Old 06-18-11, 12:42 PM
Idealistic Troublemaker

Bikes: Friday, Brompton, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A question that sounds important but is actually, imo, a waste of time.
Old 06-18-11, 12:51 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I don't believe that for a minute.
You don't think that you've learned anything from your past experiences?
Old 06-18-11, 12:52 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm 66 and not happy with my previous life. The only things from it that I can remember being "good" are my kids, a good education, and good jobs/work experience.
I'm very happy with my present life. My wife of 18+ years has made it the best.
The only thing that might make it better is winning the lottery. Nothing big. Just enough get my youngest (30 years old) into a good group home for autistic adults. The other kids are on their own.
And maybe enough to buy a summer home (NC?) and a winter home (Apalachicola or Inverness FL?).

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 06-18-11 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-18-11, 01:04 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Take out the "past" part and I'm very happy with the direction of my life.
+1

It took me a few decades to get it all sorted out. I realize I had to go through it to get where I am, but that doesn't mean I have to like it, or look back on the experience fondly.

The past ten years have been decent though, and I'm liking where I'm at now and the direction things are heading.
Old 06-18-11, 02:56 PM
cycleobsidian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
At age 60, I am the luckiest SOB I know, solid financial security (thanks in large part to my Scots-Yankee frugality). Oh yeah -- I forgot to mention my excellent health, which I owe to 100k cumulative miles of road bicycling. I am certain my passions for bicycling and classical music have supported my mental and emotional health, as well. Bicycling has also contributed greatly to my social well-being.

If I had not discovered bicycling at age 12 and an abiding passion for it by 18, I would probably now be an overweight diabetic heart attack survivor, if still around at all.
I find this post very inspirational.

I recently broke a bone in my foot whilst on a bike ride, had doubts about continuing to ride, but the more I mend the more I realize the big picture: It is important to stay active and follow your passion.

This post helps me realize all the advantages of cycling...I am very fit, active, and a good sense of self, partly because of cycling. I will not give it up for anything.

Cheers!
Old 06-18-11, 03:04 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse 2, Cannondale F 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More positives in my past then negatives. Can't say that things were always the best. I used to struggle with the concept of being content. I think I wanted more joy and fulfillment. Peeking back it looks pretty good. Two wonderful sons who seem happy and independent. A career that was IMO successful and significant. Retired and working in my field part time now. More time for fun now (biking, hiking, racquetball....) Good health. Unsure of any specific plans for the future but excited about the possibilities. Happier with myself now than at any other time in my life. More comfortable in my own skin. Wish that came earlier. I appreciate the question causing some reflection.
Old 06-18-11, 03:04 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
You don't think that you've learned anything from your past experiences?
Learning from past experiences and those experiences being necessary are two entirely different things.
Old 06-18-11, 04:10 PM
XR2

Bikes: 88 Bridgestone T700

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Used to be. No more.
Old 06-18-11, 04:53 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Forty two years with the same wonderful woman, excellent past occupations, no debt what-so-ever, nice retirement pension and nice retirement nest egg, current job pays me extremely well, what's not to like? I've been retired once before but went to work because my wife couldn't retire yet. I ride daily and enjoy life to the fullest. Two children and three grandsons. Life is great and every day will be last day of my life.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-18-11, 05:14 PM
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I'm a professor at the University of Hawaii ... its a tough life but someone has to do it. Things will get even tougher when I retire in five years.
Old 06-18-11, 05:30 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, maybe because I ride bikes a lot
Old 06-18-11, 05:49 PM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What a thing to ask! Have you learned nothing in your many years?
Old 06-18-11, 06:36 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by qmsdc15
What a thing to ask! Have you learned nothing in your many years?
Apparently not!
Old 06-18-11, 06:38 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by bjorke
A question that sounds important but is actually, imo, a waste of time.
Then I guess you won't be responding to this response!!
Old 06-18-11, 06:42 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I said other, age is 50 (as of today) in some things I am happy the way they turned out, with others I am not, I have never had a job that truly made me happy, the rest, I wouldn't change much and there is less and less I wouldn't change all the time. The job problem, we moved last fall for my wife's work (she is a church minister), and I have discovered something, I am now too old to hire, to young to retire. Might need to work for myself, in that regard.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.