Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best Bike Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-11, 10:03 PM

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse, 90s Specialized Rockhopper, 70s Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best Bike Lock?

Hey everyone!

So I just purchased my first road bike to use for my commuter, weekend rides, races, etc. I cannot afford to buy another bike that is only for commuting, so I was wondering what the best lock is on the market. I'm riding to college so which lock would you guys recommend?

Thanks!
Old 06-29-11, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think a U-lock style would be at the top as well as this krypto those are some seriously mean links
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
41vtmGX3AYL._SS500_.jpg (25.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-30-11, 08:34 AM
Probably Injured

Bikes: Kona Paddywagon, Surly Crosscheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kryptonite mini u-locks are always a good bet. I like my Masterlock streetcuffs. They're only slightly heavier than mini u-locks, a little easier to maneuver in certain situations, and the design makes it susceptible to different types of attacks than u-locks, cables, and chains, which I bet that most thieves will be more prepared to deal with. Not too expensive either.
Old 06-30-11, 09:00 AM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,478 Times in 3,223 Posts
Old 06-30-11, 09:40 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by dmeador21407
I'm riding to college so which lock would you guys recommend?
Almost anything. Just pair it with an expendable garage sale or thrift store bike and try to park amongst nicer bikes.
Old 07-01-11, 09:28 AM

Bikes: Old Schwinn Conti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute to school and I leave a heavy chain link paired with an oversized master lock from home depot on the bike rack. I also carry around a dinky cable lock too for short errands. Parking your bike next to nicer bikes is a good idear too
Old 07-01-11, 12:02 PM
Used & Abused

Bikes: GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by catonec
I think a U-lock style would be at the top as well as this krypto those are some seriously mean links
That's what I use. Bike theft is up in Denver, so I upgraded from my wimpy cable lock.
Old 07-01-11, 02:35 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dmeador21407
Hey everyone!

So I just purchased my first road bike to use for my commuter, weekend rides, races, etc. I cannot afford to buy another bike that is only for commuting, so I was wondering what the best lock is on the market. I'm riding to college so which lock would you guys recommend?

Thanks!
Best course of action to take is buy a decent (read not to expensive) lock that is easy to work. THEN buy yourself FULL all hazard insurance for just your bike!!! These policies are not all that expensive but they will pay for a new bike if your's is stolen or pay for repairs if damaged.

Cyclist seldom think of bicycle insurance but it's cheap and will save you sleepless nights and worry if you have a good bike and not much money. You'll need a decent lock (read common padlock and chain) so that the insurance company can see that you used "due diligence" to protect your bike to speed any claims. No lock and you'll quickly find that you'll get no pay out when something bad happens.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 07-02-11, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you cannot afford to lose a bike, you cannot afford to own it. Theft, or other form of loss, is part of the cost of ownership of anything and must be considered before buying. That said read posts on preventing bike theft. Take the seat post with you. QR axles can also be removed easily. Etching your name and phone number on key parts can also help. Get a cheap set of wheels to use while commuting, you might be able to fish them out of the garbage.

I would suggest working on getting a cheap, used, possibly discarded, bike for the sole purpose of commuting.

As far as theft insurance goes, What is the deductible?
Old 07-02-11, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The ART foundation in the Netherlands independently rates locks for the insurance industry. Any locks rated four star and above are top security. The page is in Dutch, but you'll be able to understand it.

https://www.stichtingart.nl/sloten_resultaat.asp
Old 07-02-11, 11:47 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
Cyclist seldom think of bicycle insurance but it's cheap and will save you sleepless nights and worry if you have a good bike and not much money. You'll need a decent lock (read common padlock and chain) so that the insurance company can see that you used "due diligence" to protect your bike to speed any claims. No lock and you'll quickly find that you'll get no pay out when something bad happens.
So how do you prove this 'due diligence' to the insurance company? The thief may well take the broken lock parts so as not to leave evidence of the theft lying around. And for that matter, if you do show a broken lock to the insurance company, how do they know it was actually locked around the bike?

I find it hard to believe that this type of theft insurance actually makes economic sense for most people. Insurance companies presumably know the risk of theft from experience and would price their premiums at a level where they make a decent profit. The cyclist who takes some reasonable precautions should be able to reduce his risk to well below average and should come out ahead compared to buying insurance. Insurance makes sense for rare but very large losses (like loss of a house or a big liability claim), not for common but smaller losses like bike theft on a college campus.
Old 07-03-11, 07:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whether you know it or not, you've opened up a can of worms here. Everyone has different opinions, some relevant, some irrelevant, and people love to comment on and/or contradict other people. With that said, I'll give you my opinion...

So, you basically have cables, chains, and u-locks. I would stay away from cable locks entirely, they all can be cut within seconds by small bolt cutters. Chains and u-locks are are good, if they're the right kind. Some chains and u-locks can also be cut with bolt cutters, so I would suggest a Kryptonite, Onguard, or anothe reputable brand. Chains are more versatile in what your bike can be locked to, but they are also very heavy to commute with. U-locks are lighter, but your locking options are restricted. I don't use chains because I find the weight prohibitive, but if I did, I would use something similar to what "catonec" posted above. Instead I use u-locks, and it is rare that I cannot find something to lock it to. So, the trick with u-locks is that you want to fill up as much of the "U" as possible, otherwise that open space can be used for leverage to break the lock. This may be achieved through using a mini-u-lock and locking less of the bike (depending on size of bike as well as fixed object), or a larger u-lock and fitting more of the bike in it. Minis are light, convenient, and secure enough for most areas. I would suggest the Onguard Bulldog Mini or the Kryptonite Evolution Mini, they both weigh around 2lbs. If you want a larger lock and don't mind extra weight, the Kryptonite New York STD u-lock is about 4lbs. It is one of the highest rated u-locks out there, very secure. Kryptonite also makes the New York Fahgettaboudit Mini, which is also about 4 lbs, slightly larger than the other minis, and is often rated as the most secure u-lock on the market. Both Kryptonite and Onguard make a Mini-7 u-lock, which is basically a medium sized u-lock. Still small and light, but locking options are increased by added space.

Before you decide on a lock, you should think about how you're going to be locking your bike, and to what. Be mindful that bikes are just a series of components put together, and can be stolen as such. If possible, both wheels should be secure as well as the frame. Also, keep in mind the rear wheel is more expensive to replace than the front. There are many ways to lock a bike, if I were you I would just search online, or through some threads here and you'll figure it out. No lock is 100% secure, but some are better than others. The same can be said for locking methods. My best advice would be to bring the bike inside with you wherever you can. I put mine against a wall in the back of the classroom and people don't mind. I only leave my bike locked outside when I don't have that option.

However, regardless of what I or anyone else say, do what works for you. If a cable lock works for you, use that, if you want a heavy chain and u-lock, go for it. It's your bike, remember to enjoy yourself. Good luck!

Last edited by Top Gunner; 07-03-11 at 10:33 AM.