Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

My First Bike in 12 years

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

My First Bike in 12 years

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-11, 03:34 AM

Bikes: Apollo Midnight, Peugeot Vitesse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post My First Bike in 12 years

Hi All, It's been a very long time since I've done any cycling and thigs seem to have changed a great deal. That aside I've bought an Apollo Midnight 17" and although this is the cheapes of all the bikes I looked for getting back to things I've noticed a problem with the crank that I cannot fathom how to fix.

It has this sideways movement which I know just shouldn't be there, I can move it about 2MM or so but I cant see what has come loose. All the main locking rings are tight and there doesn't appear anywhere else I can tighten anything up.

Any ideas please...
Old 07-11-11, 05:38 AM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hi Libi. Welcome to Bike Forums and welcome back to bicycling! If it's a new bike, you should take it back to where you bought it and see if they can make it right or replace it with another model. If that's not possible, perhaps a nearby bike shop could look at it and tell you what is needed. it shouldn't cost you anything to have them look at it and the repair probably won't cost much.

There is another subforum here at Bikeforums, the Bicycle Mechanics forum. There is a better chance someone who knows the answer will see your question if you ask it there. What kind of crank and bottom bracket do you have?
Old 07-11-11, 08:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Hi Libi. Welcome to Bike Forums and welcome back to bicycling! If it's a new bike, you should take it back to where you bought it and see if they can make it right or replace it with another model. If that's not possible, perhaps a nearby bike shop could look at it and tell you what is needed. it shouldn't cost you anything to have them look at it and the repair probably won't cost much.

There is another subforum here at Bikeforums, the Bicycle Mechanics forum. There is a better chance someone who knows the answer will see your question if you ask it there. What kind of crank and bottom bracket do you have?
hi qmsdc15,

I hadn't spotted the mechanics forum when I posted this, Sorry mods, oops.. and as for what crank I have, I have no idea. How do I find out.
Old 07-11-11, 03:59 PM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My cartridge bearing type bottom bracket came slightly loose recently. I referred to these instructions to make sure I tightened it correctly. The threads on the right side are counter-clockwise. It was very simple, but I needed a special tool to remove the crankarms and another special tool to tighten the fixed flange. I don't know if you have a similar problem, but this link describes the three common types of bottom brackets and how to service the adjustable type and links to instructions for servicing the other common types.

Hope that helps. The mods won't be offended if you ask the same question in the other subforum.
Old 07-14-11, 05:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks qmsdc15, these will come in handy in the future. The store have offered to replace all the parts that have a problem, but I popped into the store on tuesday and had them tighted everything and before the end of the closure day it was back in store. Hopefully get it back today. They even mentioned a complete replacement bike and even a different bike altogether should I be so inclined to change it.

Not bad.....

Thanks again

Libi