Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

SKS Bluemel 20" mudguards.

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 01:02 AM
Numpty

Bikes: Pacific Reach

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, wondering if anyone has SKS Bluemel 20" mudguards on their bike, and if so have they got a picture? The only pictures I can find have been of Dahon specific ones which are very short at the back with a big mudflap, otherwise I just find the same publicity pics of 700c size ones on every online shop website. I would like something to improve on the OEM mudguards on my Pacific Reach City as they are very short front and rear with no mudflaps.
Old 08-04-11, 02:06 AM

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/accessories.html scroll down for the TSR mudguards, made by SKS in a round profile.
Old 08-04-11, 02:23 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have a set of the 17" Moulton ones fitted to my Raleigh Moulton MK3 shown below covering Kojak tyres. They are quite fragile and have a thin profile. Mud flap on the front only.

Ah appologies just saw the other SKS set below those. Not sure what they are like.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited by jerrysimon; 08-04-11 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-04-11, 07:50 AM
Numpty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LWaB
https://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/accessories.html scroll down for the TSR mudguards, made by SKS in a round profile.
Thanks, that gives me a clearer idea of what they are like, they do appear to be of a reasonable length, unlike the OEMs.

Last edited by niggle; 08-04-11 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-04-11, 10:29 AM
Numpty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Jerry and LWaB for your help, I am looking to set up my Pacific Reach City for Audax rides as I find my road bike very harsh on longer rides down here in Cornwall, such as 110 miles last Sunday. Many of the roads down here have breaking up surfaces and chip & seal surface dressings and the Pacific gives a much better ride on them, but it is a bit lacking in the mudguard department so on long wet rides it all gets a bit unpleasant. This is the actual version I have, only I have added the Pacific mudguards and rack options plus a conversion to double chain ring:

Next I want to do a drop bar conversion with STIs, or peferably Campag Ergos, aiming for something like this Pacific Reach Road:This bike has the rack and rear mudguard from Pacific and you can see how short the mudguard is. The Reach is fast and stable, it runs on 28-451 Schwalbe Durano tyres, great for descending and reasonably light, though it is still 2.5kg heavier than the road bike. I could remove the rack for Audax rides and just use a saddle pack.
Old 08-04-11, 10:34 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
new struts use a plastic jaw gripping the edge of the mudguards..
Old 08-04-11, 11:45 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Very nice!

Are they available in the UK then ?

Regards

Jerry
Old 08-04-11, 05:00 PM

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You may find the Moulton SKS mudguards to be a very snug fit on 451 tyres, possibly too tight. Moultons are 406 and the guards are a pretty close fit.
Old 08-05-11, 02:20 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes I just read that they use 451 rims. I wonder why they chose those over the more common 406 ?

Regards

Jerry
Old 11-08-11, 04:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by niggle
Thanks Jerry and LWaB for your help, I am looking to set up my Pacific Reach City for Audax rides as I find my road bike very harsh on longer rides down here in Cornwall, such as 110 miles last Sunday. Many of the roads down here have breaking up surfaces and chip & seal surface dressings and the Pacific gives a much better ride on them, but it is a bit lacking in the mudguard department so on long wet rides it all gets a bit unpleasant. This is the actual version I have, only I have added the Pacific mudguards and rack options plus a conversion to double chain ring:

Next I want to do a drop bar conversion with STIs, or peferably Campag Ergos, aiming for something like this Pacific Reach Road:This bike has the rack and rear mudguard from Pacific and you can see how short the mudguard is. The Reach is fast and stable, it runs on 28-451 Schwalbe Durano tyres, great for descending and reasonably light, though it is still 2.5kg heavier than the road bike. I could remove the rack for Audax rides and just use a saddle pack.
I have just purchased a Reach Trail and I am looking to do somthing similar, mudguards, Durano 451 tyres, maybe drop bars in the future.

How did you get on with the mudguards ?
Old 11-08-11, 04:49 PM
New usename ThorUSA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bluemels .... that brings up memories ...
The SKS mudguards are originally made by ESGE ... they were the big competitor to Bluemels and later Zefal ...
Bluemels went under first if I remeber right... than ESGE ... than SKS bought Zefal ( at least I think they did at the time )
SKS now made the Esge fenders and dropped Zefal again
Bike biz is sometimes a little strange to say at least

anyhow
get some sks for Dahons ( I am actually out at this time )

they mighrt not be perfect ... but with an extra set of V stays ( cut from a bigger bike ) you will be able to make a custom fit

Thor