Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Quick question about an "event ride" I may participate in.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-11, 03:23 PM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts

I am thinking of doing a ride down in Pine Mountain here in a couple of weeks. They have a 34 mile option that I am considering doing, think it would be a lot of fun aside from one thing. According to the route map they put on iMMR there is a 2 mile long cat5 climb right at the start of the ride between miles 3-5.
The area that I ride in has no hills that even rate on a category, but the whole area is rolling hills. I am not a strong climber, and I am likely not going to be able to make this hill. I have ridden it on my motorcycle, and I know it is beyond my current ability.
I contacted the ride coordinator and asked about the climb and they said "not to let it deter me" it's at the end of the longer routes. According to the map, there are three climbs in that category, one more for each further distance, and according to the route map the first is the longest of them all.

The ride is SAG supported. Is it acceptable to ask a SAG vehicle to take me to the top and then get back out and ride?
Old 10-11-11, 03:31 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
A Cat 5 climb is the mildest of the climbs. It may be longish, but shouldn't be too steep.

Shift into your granny, settle into a comfortable rhythm, and relax.

But meanwhile, go climb whatever hills you've got, and maybe this coming weekend take a drive out to the big hill, park a couple miles away from it (to allow yourself some warm-up time), and then ride up it. If you've still got some energy, come back down and ride it again.
Old 10-11-11, 03:36 PM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I understand that, but I have ridden in a car and my motorcycle up this hill. It is an area that I am quite familiar with from a motorcycle. I know me, and I am not getting up that hill and going another inch down the road...that is assuming I don't fall over going up.
I ride the distance of the portion I am participating in for my routine rides, so that in itself isn't the issue. Just the climb. I would love to go..I mean common sense says if you can't make a part of the ride not to make the ride...but if it isn't bad form to catch a ride to the top and rejoin and enjoy the other 32 miles I don't see why I shouldn't and enjoy myself. The other side of this coin is that these roads will be closed to traffic as will intersections and such. I could go ride the part of the area I want by myself, but have to dodge traffic which is what makes this so much more attractive to me. Entry is $40, so I figure a 2 mile ride up a hill is covered, right?
Old 10-11-11, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,361 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
I contacted the ride coordinator and asked about the climb and they said "not to let it deter me" it's at the end of the longer routes.
There's a hint here.

The ride is SAG supported. Is it acceptable to ask a SAG vehicle to take me to the top and then get back out and ride?
I'd talk to the ride organizers. I bet it would not be a problem (especially if you explained your special situation).

Keep in mind that you might have to wait for a SAG vehicle. I don't know if walking is an option for you.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-11-11 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-11-11, 03:37 PM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I am thinking of doing a ride down in Pine Mountain here in a couple of weeks. They have a 34 mile option that I am considering doing, think it would be a lot of fun aside from one thing. According to the route map they put on iMMR there is a 2 mile long cat5 climb right at the start of the ride between miles 3-5.
The area that I ride in has no hills that even rate on a category, but the whole area is rolling hills. I am not a strong climber, and I am likely not going to be able to make this hill. I have ridden it on my motorcycle, and I know it is beyond my current ability.
I contacted the ride coordinator and asked about the climb and they said "not to let it deter me" it's at the end of the longer routes. According to the map, there are three climbs in that category, one more for each further distance, and according to the route map the first is the longest of them all.

You can do it! The term "CAT 5" is more psychological than anything.
Old 10-11-11, 06:34 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
On the Hilly Hundred this coming weekend in Southern Indiana, there will be lots and lots of cyclists walking up some of the hills.
Old 10-11-11, 06:40 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tarmac/ 2011 Trek 1.2 / 2008 Trek 3700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just go for it. You don't really know how strong of a rider you are until you push yourself. I just did 47 miles in the Tour de Cure in Houston and while it was pretty much flat, i DID see a few riders get picked up by SAG vehicles. So, you shouldn't have any problems bumming a ride for a couple miles. You just have to wait for one to see you and that might take a while.
Old 10-11-11, 08:31 PM
In Real Life

Go try the hill next weekend on your own. If you have to walk part of it on the first attempt, that's OK, but remember that you can stay upright down to 4 km/h which is pretty much walking speed. And hills look different from a bicycle than they do from a motorised vehicle - you don't know how you'll handle it on a bicycle till you try. Oh, and on the hills in your area, practice stopping mid-hill and then starting again ... that might be useful if you want to stop for a couple breaks on the way up the hill.

From what I have read, there is no such thing as a Cat 5 climb. A Cat 4 climb is the easiest rated climb ... so if someone is calling this a Cat 5 climb, it's even easier.
According to the site below ... "4th Category - the lowest category, climbs of 300-1000 feet (100-300m)."
https://www.adcc.asn.au/index.php/rac...fications.html

This site explains a bit further ...
https://thecycleway.com/?p=32

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hors_cat%C3%A9gorie
Old 10-11-11, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Catching a ride in a SAG car is shameful. Walking is not.
Old 10-11-11, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'd suggest at least making a try at riding up the hill. You may end up surprising yourself.

But I drive Sag for our club's annual event ride and will gladly take any rider to whatever location on the course they want to go. I don't think you'd have any problem flagging down one of the Sag vehicles and asking for a ride to the top of the hill.
Old 10-12-11, 01:11 AM
In Real Life

It may take just as long to ride/walk the 2 mile (3 km) hill as it would to sit there and wait for a SAG wagon to come along.
Old 10-12-11, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
It may take just as long to ride/walk the 2 mile (3 km) hill as it would to sit there and wait for a SAG wagon to come along.
True, but I was discussing dignity rather then time!