Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Reducing arthritis and joint pain- both on the cutting edge and cheap

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 08:13 PM

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just wanted to post links to some research on a short list of substances that originated in plants, many of which have been showing promise in treating a great many health problems. One of them is arthritis and more generally, joint pain/cartilage deterioration.

A growing body of evidence shows that resveratrol protects joints..

Other plant substances, notably curcumin, silymarin, EGCG (green tea), quercetin, etc. also are suddenly the subject of intense inerest in the medical research community.

It is not by any means fringe science. These substances, in the last few years, have become the subject of worldwide, mainstream attention.

Molecular targets of natural health products in arthritis
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...7/?tool=pubmed

The antioxidant resveratrol protects against chondrocyte apoptosis via effects on mitochondrial polarization and ATP production
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1.../art.23799/pdf

Pomegranate extract inhibits the interleukin-1β-induced activation of MKK-3, p38α-MAPK and transcription factor RUNX-2 in human osteoarthritis chondrocytes
https://arthritis-research.com/content/12/5/R195

Effects of resveratrol in inflammatory arthritis.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17115116

There are lots more on PubMed, just follow the related articles links on the last article to get started finding them
Old 10-19-11, 06:55 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
"Substances" that originate from plants are called drugs. The drugs that you're referencing are unregulated, wrt efficacy and quality. If you want to experiment on yourself, go ahead. Maybe you already have.
Old 10-19-11, 07:47 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reads more like a cutting edge rip-off. People been searching for Ponce's fountain for ages and to no avail. And rest assured its not going to be found in some plant growing in your front yard.

Eat balanced meals and see you doctor if you have problems.
Old 10-19-11, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NealH
And rest assured its not going to be found in some plant growing in your front yard.
How about the back yard?
Old 10-19-11, 08:06 PM

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fred Smedley
How about the back yard?

Well, if its my back yard all you'll find is poison oak and Japanese Kudzu. I kinda doubt this will do much for arthritis.
Old 10-19-11, 08:11 PM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
pessimists abound.
Old 10-19-11, 09:56 PM
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil85207
pessimists abound.
Ain't it so... one could grow old waiting for the medical establishment to conclude anything.
Old 10-19-11, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Some of those will reduce inflammation.

And that will help all over the body.

Here are some others to play with, Omega 7, Astaxanthin and Ubiqinol.
Old 10-20-11, 08:00 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Only speaking for myself, and others might agree or disagree. I have arthritis in my shoulder and arms, and legs. At one time the attacks were very bad. However, I have found out from EXPERIENCE, that daily exercise keeps arthritis at bay, allows me to function better even at my age level. BTW, I don't take NOTHING for the arthritis, maybe a aspirin every once and a while..
Old 10-20-11, 08:06 AM
Icantre Member

Bikes: 2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you just have to take a pill, try MSM for joint health.
Old 10-20-11, 01:58 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
"Substances" that originate from plants are called drugs. The drugs that you're referencing are unregulated, wrt efficacy and quality. If you want to experiment on yourself, go ahead. Maybe you already have.
Many of these substances have been known and used for thousands of years, the issue is that you you don't have .03 cents worth of plant material that has been packaged up by big pharma and sold to you for $1.50 a pill....
Old 10-20-11, 05:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stonefree
If you just have to take a pill, try MSM for joint health.

MSM? What exactly is that?
Lately I have been using Glucosamine/Chondroitin, works great for knee pain. Instead of pain and snap, crackle,pop it sounds kinda squishy when you bend your knees.
Old 07-31-13, 02:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey!!!! christoph this is gracie, actually I'm looking for a supplements to clear the joint pains problem i have the some supplements list but i need best supplement so if you have any idea about the supplements also please share your information here.......
Old 07-31-13, 06:35 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Bad G
Lately I have been using Glucosamine/Chondroitin, works great for knee pain. Instead of pain and snap, crackle,pop it sounds kinda squishy when you bend your knees.
All placebo. Not a shred of evidence that it works.

My wife has been on industrial strength Turmeric for some time now. I think she gets better relief from willow bark.

Right. Willow bark is the source of aspirin. But now that you can get the stuff in a bottle, it must not be any good

Maybe some of these treatments will pan out. I hope so because I would take them myself. But in vitro activity doesn't always translate into in vivo ​effectiveness.

Old 07-31-13, 09:38 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
Ain't it so... one could grow old waiting for the medical establishment to conclude anything.
If you laid all the doctors in the world end to end they still wouldn't reach a conclusion.
Old 07-31-13, 09:55 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have severe RA and take Enbrel, Methotrexate and Meloxicam (mobic)... Helps, while i was waiting to be diagnosed i was on Prednisone for 2.5 years and develloped Type 2 DIabetes...That is why i started cycling...The cycling helps my knees more than anything i have done over the last 10 years...I can pedal and a very nice cadence and do 20 miles i find without ANY joint pain...My muscles now ,,,, LOL yhat's another story...working on that...I tried MSM, Chondroitin and Glucosamine either by themselves or all together with absolutely no results... My rheumatologist said while not really snake oil it is hit or miss in about 75% of his patients...Catching it on time and treating it is the best to prevent real joint damages...
Old 07-31-13, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
If you laid all the doctors in the world end to end they still wouldn't reach a conclusion.
Hey! That's my line. I want an asterisk or something.

Old 07-31-13, 10:56 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Sorry about that. Hope there isn't a repeat fee.
Old 07-31-13, 11:24 AM

Bikes: Fuji Rubaix 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had arthroscopic surgery on both knees and been diagnosed with arthritis in my left knee. I used glucosamin & condroitin for a while but on my annual physical the doctor noticed some abnormal liver numbers. I stopped taking it and all went back to normal.

Since then I came across Voltaren Gel. My knee has ached for years. With voltaren twice a day my knee pain is completely gone and I exercise on an elliptic for forty minutes and ride my bike the same length each day. The advantage of Voltaren is the aspirin in it goes right to the joint instead of throughout the body. I read somewhere your system gets only 1-2% of the NSAID from a normal aspirin.

Rich
Old 07-31-13, 12:56 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Bad G
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
All placebo. Not a shred of evidence that it works.
Don't know (or really care) what 'evidence' you feel you need before trying glucosamine/chondroitin, but MY personal experience is: it DOES work, no placebo involved. I've done straight gluco, little effect. Done gluco/chon/MSM, no EXTRA effect from the MSM. Done gluco/chon/hyaluronic acid, terrible side effects.

Being a suspicious and skeptical person, placebo effects are largely lost on me. If I try some sort of preparation for an issue, I DON'T just EXPECT it to work, I wait and see IF it does.

I'm actually GLAD there's "not a shred of evidence" -- that means the f'n FDA will leave it alone, and the cost will stay down.
Old 07-31-13, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Don't know (or really care) what 'evidence' you feel you need before trying glucosamine/chondroitin, but MY personal experience is: it DOES work, no placebo involved. I've done straight gluco, little effect. Done gluco/chon/MSM, no EXTRA effect from the MSM. Done gluco/chon/hyaluronic acid, terrible side effects.

Being a suspicious and skeptical person, placebo effects are largely lost on me. If I try some sort of preparation for an issue, I DON'T just EXPECT it to work, I wait and see IF it does.

I'm actually GLAD there's "not a shred of evidence" -- that means the f'n FDA will leave it alone, and the cost will stay down.
I accept the reprimand, intended or not, and admit my post was needlessly brusque.

A bit of context, and I mean nothing personal in this: an "explosive" article came out recently, here: https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org...405-9/fulltext

The article is called medical reversals and outlines 146 things that doctors thought were good ideas that, in the opinion of the authors, proved to be flat wrong.

I read the entire thing. As I was working down the list, there was one "blunder" after another: this thing didn't work, that thing was counterproductive, and this thing over here was a flat disaster. I imagined readers saying, "Yeah, you arrogant creeps. Think you know everything, wrong half the time, and you charge too much".

Then when I got to the entry about the ineffectiveness of glucosamine, I imagined people hopping up and yelling, "Now wait a minute!! You've gone too far!!!".

It's like the old Southern joke: watch it, preacher man, you've gone from preaching to meddling with that one".

Old 07-31-13, 03:42 PM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I have severe RA and take Enbrel, Methotrexate and Meloxicam (mobic)... Helps, while i was waiting to be diagnosed i was on Prednisone for 2.5 years and develloped Type 2 DIabetes...That is why i started cycling...The cycling helps my knees more than anything i have done over the last 10 years...I can pedal and a very nice cadence and do 20 miles i find without ANY joint pain...My muscles now ,,,, LOL yhat's another story...working on that...I tried MSM, Chondroitin and Glucosamine either by themselves or all together with absolutely no results... My rheumatologist said while not really snake oil it is hit or miss in about 75% of his patients...Catching it on time and treating it is the best to prevent real joint damages...
i agree. i have both osteoarthritis and RA and i am taking methotrexiate, predisone when i have the flares and leflunomide tho i don't want to take these meds i do find that it does help tremendously. the VA has already told me i should be on enbril, with Iv 1 x monthly but so far i am staying away from that as long as i can. Cycling does help quite a lot, but when the flares hit nothing seems to help
Old 07-31-13, 03:58 PM

Aw crap, I think I'm going to quit:

Old 07-31-13, 06:51 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me the Enbrel made the most difference...I give myself a shot once a week...They offer a Copay card and it only costs me $10.00 a month...
Old 07-31-13, 07:02 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
And I'm sure the OP has read this re resveratrol : https://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...ercise/277993/

Oh crap, I'm drinking a glass of red wine right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.