Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone have suede upholstery cycle dirt cleaning tips?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 12:50 AM
Eclecticaleliptic!

Bikes: Cannondale MT1000 (1986 "birthday" for him!) Dawes Giro 500 (also 80's) Ridgeback Voyager (2010/11 model)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A bad bad scenario - taking my daughter on school run, her bag fouls chain/pannier dirty area briefly, unnoticed.

We have light tan suede sofa/couches (the covers DO NOT remove!).

Unpacking homework - placed bag on couch....

And the damage was done!

I do realize this isn't directly cycle related, also that my chain maintenance on that bike and generally is slack *but that bike is MEANT to be a down dirty cycle bike!)...

However I also recognize the resourcefulness and knowledge in depth I have come across on these forums, so ---- any tips? IS this salvageable?
Old 11-03-11, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
In the UK we have mechanic's hand cleanser called Swarfega. I forms an emulsion with oil and can be washed of with detergent and water.
I smear a very small amount on oil stains in carpets or clothing, leave for a few minutes, then wipe clean with a damp (with washing up liquid) sponge.
Test on some suede or a hidden part because it might just make a bigger water stain. It may also strip any stain-repellant fabric treatment.

Some people recommend an organic solvent, others a very strong detergent.
Old 11-04-11, 09:52 PM
Sputnik - beep beep beep

Bikes: '12 Jamis Coda Elite '09 Jamis Sputnik, '07 Jamis Eclipse, '13 Brompton M6R.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dish detergent. It's formulated to suspend grease (as in food fats). It's concentrated, so dilute it a little in a dish. Use a toothbrush to scrub it up a bit into a foam and blot the result with a paper towel. Rubbing only serves to place the suspended grease to another place in the fabric. Repeat if needed. Clean up with plain water.