Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Jan Sales have started.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Jan Sales have started.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-11, 04:12 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Jan Sales have started.

Getting a few notifications coming through and one is for the Magic Shine lamp. At this price it will be a snip---IF it is as good as many of you say-it is reliable and if it has enough battery life in it for a 4 hour ride.

It is not one of my favourite choices for a lamp but at this price it will be hard to turn down

So what are the problems and is it powerful enough to light up the road without bursting into flames or breaking down?

Spike Milligan
Old 12-25-11, 06:59 AM
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
Getting a few notifications coming through and one is for the Magic Shine lamp. At this price it will be a snip---IF it is as good as many of you say-it is reliable and if it has enough battery life in it for a 4 hour ride.

It is not one of my favourite choices for a lamp but at this price it will be hard to turn down

So what are the problems and is it powerful enough to light up the road without bursting into flames or breaking down?
Yes, it lights the road well. I have one with the recalled battery and chose not to worry about it. The only problem I had was that there was not always a response to the button that makes it switch modes. I put a drop or two of WD40 into the contacts and it has never failed to respond since.

I have been totally pleased with mine.

Don in Austin
Old 12-25-11, 08:58 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Stap, could you educate us on this lamp, I am looking for a good model for Monica and I to install. Tired of loosing riding time to the early sunset this time of year.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-25-11, 09:02 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I bought one a year ago and liked it so well that I bought another two this year. They're cheap enough I don't worry about moving them from bike to bike. I just buy another light.

Night blindness runs in my family and it's hit me pretty hard. The MS provides me with adequate lighting on my commutes. It's probably overkill for pleasure rides in the country, but here in the city, it's just about right.

It it a perfect light? No. I'd prefer an asymmetric beam pattern--flat on top, less spill out the sides. But I understand they also sell to MTBers, and symmetric, besides being cheaper to produce, is better for them.

I can also recommend their taillight. It is every bit as powerful as the legendary DiNotte 140R (which I also own), but it runs from the MS battery.
Old 12-27-11, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The MS is a reverse-engineered copy of a Lupine; not quite as nice, but without the Lupine's $250 price tag.

I'm another MS owner who hasn't done the battery recall. A year or so ago, I had a battery quit charging, received what was then the most current battery as a replacement, and I haven't had any problems, save for one broken o-ring (fixed in about 30 seconds). I'm not crazy about the o-ring mount (I'd much rather have a snap-in mount like a Cygolite), but other than that it's been a good light. The area where I live has little in the way of street lighting, so I'm thinking of trying one of the quad-emitter versionss.