Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1970's RickertGerman Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-12, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1970's RickertGerman Bike

Hello,

I recently saw this bike for sale and bought it at auction for $200. I maybe paid too much hoping that it is something unusual. I pumped up the tires and it rode very nicely around the neighborhood. I see on the internet that the guy on the one label owned the Manhatten Beach Bike shop (Ted Ernst) and was the only one selling the bikes in the U.S. Campagnolo Nuovo components. Tubular tires and rims. I've looked online and not seen a Campagnolo milled crank set like this. It looks like the seat post is Campagnolo as well but the milling obscures some of the writing. Somebody spray painted the top tube and other areas which pains me. Any thoughts? Additional photos at:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7660018...n/photostream/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CIMG0628.jpg (64.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-19-12, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It's a good purchase. While there is no obvious tubing decal, based on the build quality and Campagnolo dropouts it should be a top tier set. The only problem is that Rickert is not a readily recognizable and therefore may not attract as many people to your ad or auction, which can limit the potential payback, if you bought it to flip. Still, it's worth more than you paid for it.
Old 02-19-12, 06:57 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,491 Posts
Great loking bike. I never heard of that marque but I agree the tubset is likely top shelf. lots of drillium (the practice of drilling/milling bike components to make the lighter or just customize them) on that bike too.

Good thing for me you saw it first!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-19-12, 07:59 AM
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
Big_Chainring had one, up until a year or so ago. It was a nice looking bike and he seemed to like it a lot. Heck, I'd buy that for $200 in a heartbeat.
Old 02-19-12, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Ted is still around and he participates in the Classic rendezvous google group list I think, he was part of the old CR mailing list.
Great buy for $200. Might need a bearing repack, but worth having it done.
Check to make sure the tires are glued on well. I am always wary of someone else's glue job and glue dries out.
Old 02-19-12, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

I plan on keeping the bike as a casual rider as close to original as I can. I am thinking of keeping the the rims and hubs but might get a second non-tubular wheel set for it. Any suggestions?

Can a good frame painter take off the canned spray paint and feather in new paint to the still good paint parts?
Old 02-19-12, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by fabiansson

Can a good frame painter take off the canned spray paint and feather in new paint to the still good paint parts?
It can be done, but will not be cheap. My hunch would be sot strip the frame of components, and take it in for an assessment. My thought would be to strip the major portion of the top tube as in general touch ups like that were done to arrest rust. have the whole top tube painted to match stopping at the lug lines. Then maybe have the whole frame clear coated, if they can do thin and not too glossy. I think the Rickert transfers were not cleared over. The paint repair will be more than you spent on the bike though.