Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The 60's, what a decade!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-12, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

No. I'm not refering to that over romanticised decade some 50 odd years ago. I'm talking about now!!

Never in my wildest dreams way back when, did I imagine how much fun I would be having as a 60+ year old!

Take this morning for example. I left work at 05:30 a.m. on my trusty old Trek commuter. Yes it was dark outside, but the roads were all but abandoned. Having spent close to 100 miles pedaling my SWB Recumbent around earlier in the week, my legs were feeling fantastic. I slipped the FD over to the Big Ring and it felt like I was flying across that dark macadam on my silky smooth GEAX tires. The seven plus miles to the Restaurant for my breakfast just flew by!! The nice waitress brought me my hot oatmeal and coffee as soon as I sat down. (It's often good to be a creature of habit). She refused to let my coffee cup get less than half full.

After a leisurely and friendly breakfast I rode over to the river and headed upstream. I reached the Turning Basin Park prominade just in time to sit back and enjoy the sunrise. Being the first person on the river trail for the day I was treated to many wildlife encounters, mostly rabbit and deer.

Still feeling strong I climbed back up the trail out of the river gorge and headed for home where my bride was already up and enjoying her morning paper. After a short chat I meandered up to bed and curled up for a nice day's sleep.

Still smiling from such a great morning I drifted off into a peaceful, restful sleep. It sure is amazing how much fun one can have during a little 15 mile ride, even if 2/3's of it is in the dark!!

The 60's is shaping up to be a great decade!!!

Last edited by cranky old dude; 03-22-12 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-22-12, 06:32 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
+1000.

I have found that it is rare to find a restaurant with a cook who can cook the oatmeal perfectly. Sounds like you got yourself one. It's good stuff. Keeps everything moving.
Old 03-22-12, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I'm scheduled to be promoted to the 70's in September but I must say the 60's were pretty good to me.

Good to see you so happy, Cranky.
Old 03-22-12, 08:26 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
I'm scheduled to be promoted to the 70's in September but I must say the 60's were pretty good to me.

I was thinking the same thing, Louis! Wait...I mean about Cranky being happy, not about the 70"s thing!
Old 03-22-12, 08:36 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Cranky, you aare simply superb. Know what? The 70's are great also!!
Old 03-23-12, 12:11 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Cranky, you aare simply superb. Know what? The 70's are great also!!

Originally Posted by miss kenton
I was thinking the same thing, Louis! Wait...I mean about Cranky being happy, not about the 70"s thing!
Thank you!

I'm not really sure where the solace and joy is coming from, but it feels real and I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

The wife is back in better health and everything else is just stuff, I guess. We're struggling to work our way through it all. It's slow going but we've got a plan and at least I'm still employed.

I guess I 'm just kinda shocked and definately thrilled that after the stress and events of the last two years I can still crawl out of my little hidey-hole, climb back onto the bikes, and actually feel the strength and vigor return to my 61 year old pile of fat. The joy of flying down the road on two wheels hasn't dimmed even a little bit.

Again, thank you all for your concern. Your responses, notes, and PM's have been very comforting.
Old 03-23-12, 12:17 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
+1000.

I have found that it is rare to find a restaurant with a cook who can cook the oatmeal perfectly. Sounds like you got yourself one. It's good stuff. Keeps everything moving.
This Restaurant (Diner) is only three miles from home. It opened for business the same year we moved into our house (1977) and we've been going there ever since. Some of the servers are third generation so not only do we know all the servers, but we know many of their families as well.

It's kinda like Cheers, only with food.
Old 03-23-12, 05:49 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
This is so much better than a few months ago Lenny. It is great to hear you feeling so positive and enjoying life again. Glad Mrs. Cranky is out of the deep woods she was in and that the rides are agreeing with you. God Bless y'all.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-23-12, 06:44 AM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I've got 5 more years before I get promoted, but I'm having a ball right now. Retirement just makes it better.

Cranky, I'm glad to hear that things are working out for you and the wife. I think of life like riding a bicycle; you struggle climbing the hill but man is it fun when you reach the top and go down.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 03-23-12 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-23-12, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Glad to have you back in a joyful place Cranky. I know you've had some trials recently. Ride that bike, and be happy!
Old 03-23-12, 08:34 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
So far the 70s arent too bad either. Im still riding my 2000+ miles every year.
Old 03-23-12, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
I'm not really sure where the solace and joy is coming from, but it feels real and I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.
If it feels real, it is real. Ride on Cranky!
Old 03-23-12, 09:20 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Good man Cranky. Your good cheer is making my day. It has been said that the happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. The happiest people make the best of what they have.
Old 03-23-12, 11:59 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
First 5 years of my 60's have not been hard but not easy either. Too many things to do and there is that funny thing called work upsetting everything.

Next five years are going to be great.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-23-12, 01:38 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'm not quite through the 60's yet. I'm still working but my job is only around 35 hrs per week and only 34 weeks per year. In other words, every time that I start to get sick of it they give us a week or two off.
Old 03-23-12, 04:10 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
The 60's are great, but will I remember being here?
Old 03-23-12, 05:03 PM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I used to post this kind of stuff on one of my running forums in the Masters (40+) section until I finally realized that I was starting to tick off all the forum members who were spending their days at work while I was out playing. Now I try to cool my enthusiasm. Poor saps...
Old 03-23-12, 05:10 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
I used to post this kind of stuff on one of my running forums in the Masters (40+) section until I finally realized that I was starting to tick off all the forum members who were spending their days at work while I was out playing. Now I try to cool my enthusiasm. Poor saps...
They can gloat at us poor saps who are looking for work.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-23-12, 05:19 PM

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Great story! I am self employed and get to sneak out and ride once in a while. It really makes my day

Originally Posted by Artkansas
They can gloat at us poor saps who are looking for work.
Hang in there man.
Old 03-23-12, 05:33 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
Perhaps I'm being insensitive but I don't really see any issues Doug. I both work and ride.

I figure that anyone who chooses to be jealous of the hours I ride is more than welcome to trade jobs with me. 50+ hours per week, two 12.5 hour day shifts and two 12.5 hour night shifts every week, 365 day operation (no holidays off unless they fall on your scheduled rest day).

Not intending this as a personal shot, I'm just stating my "State of mind".

I watched the sunrise over the river again this morning amid the deafening roar of a couple of swans flying down river for breakfast. I'ld post pictures but my computer is out of commission.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 03-23-12 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-23-12, 05:50 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's the real test to determine how real this good mood really is.....

The wife came home with some news today.....

She has a Biopsy scheduled for next Wednesday for some Stuff they just found. I hope I didn't jinx her with my good mood.

I'm managing to stay uncharacteristicly optimistic so it hasn't killed my buzz yet, and of course she's a bit concerned. I just try to remember...it ain't the cards life deals you that determines how you feel, it's how you play 'em.

We should be getting our new computer up and running next week so I will be able to post some pictures with my ride reports after I figure out how to use it.......see, I told you it hasn't killed my buzz yet!!
Old 03-23-12, 06:07 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Keep moving! And enjoy every minute of it.

Last year I found a way to improve my 100 mile round trip commute by biking 25 miles round trip plus a train ride. It takes over an hour longer each way but it sure makes the day better.

I'm 63, curiously a year older than I was last year. As I've gotten older the various physical issues that I've accumulated have started to catch up with me. That's what they used to tell me would happen back when I was 20-something. But I figure the day I stop doing something is the day I start not being able to. So I refuse to stop moving. The only thing missing is, well, I need more time to do it. Tomorrow my sweetie and I will ride the tandem, aiming for maybe 40 to 50 miles. Not bad, we figure. You just gotta' keep moving.
Old 03-23-12, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Outstanding! One of my friends always talks about "Building Memories" and how important that is. One can never know when an accident, or some other event will force a dramatic life change. Having good memories means a life well lived. A life will lived is priceless. Looks like you are on your way to the goal.
Old 03-24-12, 03:48 PM

Bikes: Surly Pugsley,Mongoose Hybrid, Nashbar road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be 66 this year and have been staying in shape riding to my 87 year old moms house a few times a week. She lives on top of a hill with a great view so the hill gives me a great workout. I also use my bike for all local errands like to the farmers market, bank, supermarket etc. Here is a video of my two grandsons looking at hot air balloons from my mom's porch with her in the background.
Old 03-30-12, 08:45 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The bride's biopsy came back negative for Cancer. We have a meeting with her surgeon next week and we assume that she will re-affirm that all is well.

I'm still commuting daily even though the weather has turned cold and blustery. It's hard to believe that less than 10 days ago I was riding my local trails and establishing tan lines on my legs and arms and now it's snowing and blowing something fierce. Oh well, the bad weather's a good excuse to nest a bit and learn how to edit and post pictures from our new Desktop. I took a bunch of them last week and they're just languishing on the memory card.

When I stop at the Diner for breakfast on the way home I'll be sure to request that whoever turned on the snow to please turn it back off. That should bring Spring back.

Still riding and loving the rocking 60's!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.