Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike Input

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike Input

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-12, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Input

I am thinking about a couple of bikes for lightweight touring with a small rack on the back that is extremely versatile when not touring.

Does any one have any advice or thoughts about the Cannondale CAADX5 Cyclocross bike or Cannondale Synapse alloy with 105.

Of interested I e-mailed Cannondale and asked their advice and they recommended the Cannondale Synapse alloy with 105.

My concern is the wheelbase and chainstay length of the synapse compared to the CAADX5. Any thoughts or ideas on these bikes.
Old 03-24-12, 09:31 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Raydunham
I am thinking about a couple of bikes for lightweight touring with a small rack on the back that is extremely versatile when not touring.

Does any one have any advice or thoughts about the Cannondale CAADX5 Cyclocross bike or Cannondale Synapse alloy with 105.

Of interested I e-mailed Cannondale and asked their advice and they recommended the Cannondale Synapse alloy with 105.

My concern is the wheelbase and chainstay length of the synapse compared to the CAADX5. Any thoughts or ideas on these bikes.
I'd say neither. Your concerns on both bikes' short wheelbase is well founded. The Cyclocross bike is even short for a cyclocross bike. With a 17" chainstay, you'd be hard pressed to use any kind of pannier on them without constantly hitting pannier with your feet. Even the very smallest panniers would be difficult to mount. And the Synapse is even worse. Both are be fantastic bikes but not for touring.

Something like the Specialized Tricross would be a better choice.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-24-12, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'd be more inclined to go with the CAADX5 for more versatility if you ever want to use wider tires and fenders on a tour. The extra chainstay length is also nice, but not essential. Here's my crit-geometry older Cannondale which has shorter chainstays than either of the bikes you're considering on a tour with a full camping load:

Old 03-24-12, 11:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're in the market for the same thing I was after until yesterday. Just bought a Jamis Bossanova.

I looked at the Cannondale CAADX and the Specliazed Tricross. Rode them both. They're quick and pretty and all that. Looked at several others such as the Spot Brand Ajax and Jamis Nova. All of them are aluminum bikes.

Then I got reacquainted with steel. Hadn't ridden steel in a long time. Aaaahhhh. Nice. And plenty light. For me, it came down to two bikes - the Bossanova or the Salsa Vaya. The Bossanova was better priced and had a little shorter wheelbase which meant quicker handling more like a cross bike when I want to get around but still long enough to be stable when I'm going long.

And I like bossa nova music. Inspiring.
Old 03-24-12, 06:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. In the same train of thought.........any feedback on a Kona Jake the Sanke for light touring?.
Old 03-24-12, 10:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to use a fast road bike for touring, you're pretty much limiting yourself to credit card touring. So just roll with it - just take a few changes of clothes and the necessary tools/spare parts, get a full frame bag (this would have to be custom made, but if you can afford to credit card tour you can afford a custom frame bag - under $200 in almost any case) and bikepacking-style saddlebag (from Revelate Designs or Porcelain Rocket or similar). All the stuff you need for a summer credit card tour can comfortably fit in there.