Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Bombproof CC Rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 07:08 PM

Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bombproof CC Rims

I'm at the point in my JTS build where I need to select rims. The criteria is simple: Strong, weight no object. I weigh 225lbs and would like to explore suburban short cuts which will include roughish dirt and gravel roads. I have some really good wheels, Matrix IsoG rims on Dura Ace hubs, but don't want to taco the good ones with my current weight. As far as cost goes, up to $100 each is about my limit.
Old 05-06-12, 12:41 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If its actually about cross racing, rather than commuting, [it's own section, rather than this one]

Only have to last :45 to an hour, then you have time to fix stuff for next week's races.

And clean up the bike, etc.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-06-12 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-06-12, 12:44 AM
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hundred bucks each?

Go to performance and buy their titan wheels on sale. Return them for new ones when you destroy them.

Mind take a surprising amount of abuse between racing and commuting in the rain. Of course at 225, YMMV...
Old 05-06-12, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Are you saying that your price limit is $100 for each rim, or $100 for each wheel? $100 per wheel is a pretty meager budget; $100 for a rim will get you anything you want except carbon.

If you have Dura-ace components, I assume that you are talking $100 per rim. Velocity A23 or Mavic A319 would both be good choices, as long as you pair them with appropriate number and gauge spokes.
Old 05-06-12, 10:33 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
Velocity A23 or Mavic A319 would both be good choices, as long as you pair them with appropriate number and gauge spokes.
+1 and consider Velocity Dyad as stronger than the A23 but lighter than the A319.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-06-12, 12:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
Are you saying that your price limit is $100 for each rim, or $100 for each wheel? $100 per wheel is a pretty meager budget; $100 for a rim will get you anything you want except carbon.

If you have Dura-ace components, I assume that you are talking $100 per rim. Velocity A23 or Mavic A319 would both be good choices, as long as you pair them with appropriate number and gauge spokes.
$100 per rim, I plan to use Deore DX hubs I already have. I don't race, commuting is a possibility, but the main use will be running around in a recreational manner on and off road. The Denver area has a lot of open space, much of it criss-crossed by trails and single track, and I'd like to explore some of that.

A couple days ago on my mtb I discovered a neat little park at the end of an alley, with no paved road leading to it. It's in the vicinity of 10th and Cherry. (No fair using google earth to find it).
Old 05-06-12, 12:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
+1 and consider Velocity Dyad as stronger than the A23 but lighter than the A319.
The Dyads may be the right ones for me. They spec them for Tandems so that leads me to believe they'd hold up better with my weight.
Old 05-06-12, 01:27 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Originally Posted by WickedThump
The Dyads may be the right ones for me. They spec them for Tandems so that leads me to believe they'd hold up better with my weight.
I'm about 200-210 pounds and use 32 hole Velocity A23 rims on my road bike and 40 hole Dyads on my drop-bar Monstercross/29er & touring bike.

Both have been 100% trouble free.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-06-12 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-06-12, 01:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'm about 200-210 pounds and use 32 hole Velocity A23 rims on my road bike and 40 hole Dyads on my drop-bar Monstercross/29er & touring bike.

Both have been 100% trouble free.
Good to know. Which spokes should I use with 32 hole hubs?
Old 05-06-12, 06:40 PM
Have bike, will travel

DT triple butted Alpine III spokes, the best: https://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html#spokes
Old 05-07-12, 05:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rivendell sells Synergy laced with DT Comps as their standard wheelset:
https://www.rivbike.com/product-p/w70032130.htm

The nice thing about the Synergy is the rear OC which makes for less dish, stronger wheel.
Old 05-07-12, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was under the impression that A319's were pinned rims? Coming from a mountain biking background this is pretty frowned upon, is this not the case for cyclocross etc? I would have thought the stresses on the rim would be pretty similar.
Old 05-07-12, 09:25 PM
Climbers Apprentice

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a set of 32 spoke deep v,s in the for sale section that may meet your needs.
Old 05-08-12, 01:59 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the process of building up a CX or buying something I run across. I found some wheels on ebay that seemed like a good deal. I got a set of new Velocity Dyad 40H Touring Road Bike Wheelset w/Formula hubs on it for $80 w/shipping. I'm thinking these will be pretty much bombproof. And I'm 245 pounds too.

I guess what I can tell you is to always watch ebay. I got won mine when the guy was selling a few other sets on a week night. He ended the bids at something like 11pm or was it 11:30?

Good luck on your build.
Old 05-09-12, 08:01 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DinoShepherd
Hundred bucks each?

Go to performance and buy their titan wheels on sale. Return them for new ones when you destroy them.

Mind take a surprising amount of abuse between racing and commuting in the rain. Of course at 225, YMMV...
If the suggestion is that you exercise the 'return for any reason' clause after using up the life of a product, that may the most dishonest thing I've seen posted in this forum. I own a set of Titans that have thousands of miles on them and they are indeed a bombproof wheel (I am 200 lbs), but they are road wheels, not cross wheels. Performance claims no weight limit on them, but if being used for off-road, I would not trust them in that setting.

Last edited by RT; 05-10-12 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-09-12, 09:10 AM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by User1
I'm in the process of building up a CX or buying something I run across. I found some wheels on ebay that seemed like a good deal. I got a set of new Velocity Dyad 40H Touring Road Bike Wheelset w/Formula hubs on it for $80 w/shipping. I'm thinking these will be pretty much bombproof. And I'm 245 pounds too.

I guess what I can tell you is to always watch ebay. I got won mine when the guy was selling a few other sets on a week night. He ended the bids at something like 11pm or was it 11:30?

Good luck on your build.
I have these wheels are they have been excellent! They are surprisingly smooth spinning for such a heavy-duty hub.

I was so impressed with the quality, I purchased a second set for knobby tires.