Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

just picked up a 98 trek multitrack

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 07:37 AM

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

i used to have a 97 and i loved this bike, in my ignorant youth i sold it to my brother for pennies, thinking i made a fortune.. ive been kicking myself ever since

fast forward, i found this heap at my local coop.. was in pretty rough shape, tires disintigrated, chain was broken and seized, had to cut it off. front derailleur was shot, luckily i had a new replacement, , every peice of steel on the thing was rusted.it looks like it was stored in a waterfall. at least the rims and frame were aluminum,

anyway ive cleaned it up and after re-cabling, lube/greese, brake pads i made it rideable, new tires are on the way, my question is the alloy rims are oxidized pretty badly, and every time i brake i get a grinding sensation... ive looked over the brake pads and they look ok, the rim looks like it needs to be polished or buffed, should they be replaced or can i save them??

sorry no pics, i know its a cardinal sin..but its not much to look at really...
Old 06-14-12, 09:56 AM
George Krpan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations on your resourcefulness. I guess you could just sand the rims with some fine sandpaper.
Trap it between the pads and rim and ride the bike, saves elbow grease. Sand the pads a little too.
Old 06-14-12, 09:59 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i use those sanding blocks that I get at Harbor Freight to sand slight imperfections out of alloy wheels. I have made some that looked awful end up looking like near new.
Old 06-14-12, 10:17 AM

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
thanks for the info, i have some dry wall sanding blocks that i might try, plus some 0000 steel whool and ultra fine sandpaper...never tried sanding alloy rims ...should be interesting... the bike is great besides the brakes..and the tires.. right now ther rear tire is bulging after the sidewall fell apart, and i just noticed the front is starting to do the same...i want to use it as a family ride to pull the kids, with the trailer and tagalong