Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mountain - Plains
Reload this Page >

Routes / Rides around Steamboat?

Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-12, 10:20 PM

Bikes: '10 Pinarello FP1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Going to be in Steamboat for a few days around the July 4th holiday and I'm bringing my bike along. New territory to pedal!

Anyone from the area have suggestions on routes or rides to target while I'm there? I've been using mapmyride.com to get some ideas but I'm definitely open to suggestions -- or joining in on any planned rides -- or riding with someone local. I don't mind climbing some hills but I really want to find something "scenic" while I'm out pedaling. I'm hoping for a couple long'ish rides while I'm there (while the rest of my family hangs with in-laws... *cough*... ) (help me!)
Old 06-25-12, 10:14 AM
mje

Bikes: Trek Domane, Specialized Sequoia, Cannondale RT3000

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
For a nice long ride, follow the 110 mile route of Tour de Steamboat, but bring plenty of supplies. There's essentially no services en route.

Last year, Ride the Rockies included a short day with a 50 mile loop south of town. It followed routes 33, 27, and 131.

Out and back to Stagecoach.

Hill repeats on Rabbit Ears. sounds better than hanging with in-laws.

Look up the Routt County Riders.
Old 07-05-12, 09:38 PM

Bikes: '10 Pinarello FP1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After driving down Rabbit Ears on my way into town I determined I was NOT ready for that climb. .

I ended up just doing a couple of "exploratory" rides for this trip.

On July 4th I rode out of town up Highway 129 (aka Elk River Rd). This was an awesome ride! I only went 20 miles up before turning around (I was worried about my water supplies...) and loved it. Nice gentle climb all the way out and nice fast run coming back. Definitely will do again and will go farther (and will pack more fluids).

The next day I decided to just head west on US 40. Meh. It was OK but I don't love riding on the shoulder of 65 MPH highways. Even at 6:30 AM the big trucks were plentiful and I got blown around a bit. This one also descends going out so the return trip was a bit more effort (nothing major though. I think it was maybe a 500 foot difference over 15 miles. Just something to be aware of).

I drove up Rabbit Ears this afternoon and saw some brave souls hitting it hard. Perhaps next year I'll be ready -- definitely a bucket list item now ;-)