Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

slip sliding away

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

slip sliding away

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
slip sliding away

Well tonight was a fun commuting what with the light rain and gravel from the one day of icy roads. Of course all the gravel is in the bike lane right where it belongs. So here I am not going too fast as I am going uphill and the rear wheel slides sideways a couple feet. Now that is a first and a bit freaky I stopped and looked and a flat rear wheel. Uug perfect day for it in the dark and rain. Well get it changed and off I go I come to the stoplight and hit the brakes and the front wheel slides sideways and there is no breaking in the rear. I did not get the quick release on right for the rear brake. Luckily my cleats are about shot and I could get my foot out fast. I was not going very fast either.
So watch front wheel only breaking it is not a good idea on a bent (G)
Plus I was having a problem with my right family jewel hurting. I thought it was from my flat padding on my office chair it bulges up between my legs. I changed chairs and it eased up over the weekend. Well I was hurting at work and I figured out the problem. My new Rans seat was hurting the back of my rear because it has a lip that rises up. I finally cut it off and tilted the seat up some. Well that makes the nose bulge between my legs and hurt one of the jewels.
Man when it rains it pours (G) time for a armadillo rear wheel that Schwalbe Marathon has had two flats in 3 or so months and that’s with a tuffy liner.
Old 01-18-05, 10:55 AM

Bikes: 76 schwinn tandem,old hard rock mt bike, old old centurium rd bike, 84 trek 640 touring bike, a new v-rex,

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are you having fun yet? sorry, sounds terrible I've never flatted at night in the dark, knock on wood. guess I'll start carring my light that goes on my helmet so I can see while changing it, bound to happen some day. hope you get the seat to work for you.
Old 01-18-05, 11:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thats the first flat at night for me too. only the second on on this bike. but when I was riding my road bike I went 1500 miles without a flat. my three LED headlight I use as a blinkie was enough. most of it can be done by feel as long as you have a spare tube.
Old 01-19-05, 10:27 PM

Bikes: 76 schwinn tandem,old hard rock mt bike, old old centurium rd bike, 84 trek 640 touring bike, a new v-rex,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you did motivate me to go get a tube, one for the front and one for the back, the only twenty inch tube they had,, I don't think the valve stem is long enough for the shape of the rims, coming home tonight they put fresh gravel on the last mile of my ride, couldn't make it up the hill part, had to walk, could barely ride it on the flat part, discouraging. I used to think if it was that bad I would go back to riding my df, but I think I would rather take a shovel and scrape me a path!
Old 01-21-05, 04:24 PM
Errand Boy for my girls

Bikes: Greenspeed GTO 20/20 trike, Rans Fusion(semi-recumbent bike), Burley Django recumbent, Marin Larkspur city bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steveknight
Well I was hurting at work and I figured out the problem. My new Rans seat was hurting the back of my rear because it has a lip that rises up. I finally cut it off and tilted the seat up some. Well that makes the nose bulge between my legs and hurt one of the jewels.
Hi steveknight,

First, I'm glad that you got home safely, after having a pretty rough commute ride in the rain and dark.

You ride a Burley, right? So I'm guessing that you bought an Evolution seatbase from Calhoun Cycle, the RANS seat base modified to fit Burley 'bents...right(I kinda remember a thread that you started, regarding discomfort and pain that you were experiencing with your stock Burley seatbase, and the gap between the seat base and seatback)? You might consider calling Calhoun Cycle, and telling them about the problem you've had with the rear lip causing you discomfort, how you "fixed" it, and how the new tilt angle is causing you new problems. The folks there are nice, and may be able to give you some suggestions on how to adjust your seat so that it'll stop causing you pain, and start giving you the comfort that the RANS seat is supposed to give you.

Good luck!

Old 01-21-05, 04:34 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Sorry to hear about that kind of a ride.

It could always be worse.

I had a flat in the dark in the grass where everyone walks their dog. It was dark, so I did not know what that awfull smell was until I tracked it into the house on the bottom of my shoes. I walked all over the house before I noticed what I was doing.
Old 01-21-05, 09:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sukispop
Hi steveknight,

First, I'm glad that you got home safely, after having a pretty rough commute ride in the rain and dark.

You ride a Burley, right? So I'm guessing that you bought an Evolution seatbase from Calhoun Cycle, the RANS seat base modified to fit Burley 'bents...right(I kinda remember a thread that you started, regarding discomfort and pain that you were experiencing with your stock Burley seatbase, and the gap between the seat base and seatback)? You might consider calling Calhoun Cycle, and telling them about the problem you've had with the rear lip causing you discomfort, how you "fixed" it, and how the new tilt angle is causing you new problems. The folks there are nice, and may be able to give you some suggestions on how to adjust your seat so that it'll stop causing you pain, and start giving you the comfort that the RANS seat is supposed to give you.

Good luck!

right. but it was mroe my health problems that was causing them pain. the seat helped a lot but my body has lot of sore muscles so everything can hurt sometimes.