Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Getting started and looking for places to ride

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-13, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all. I'm just getting started. Bought myself a 2013 Giant Cypress in October but haven't had the nerve to take it out. I am bound and determined to do so tomorrow. I'm a few weeks shy of 44, weigh 292 lbs, and everything aches. One of the things I am worried about is riding in the street. I live in NYC and cannot tell you how many bike accidents I've seen. I know they say you don't forget, but it's been 30 years since I rode a bike.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to locate bike paths. I'm thinking in parks or something like that - away from traffic. If there is a way to find out if the path is flat, that would be great.

I am more than willing to put the bike on my car and leave the city. I am hoping to make my first experience pleasant enough to repeat. LOL

Thanks!
Old 04-26-13, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
maps.google.com Go to get directions and type in your city in both, then select the bike icon and it will highlight the trails.

I would also suggest a less expensive multi-level mag trainer. I found one off craiglist that included a slick tire for a really good price. I've seen some fluid trainers here and there but they are normally higher priced. It's a great way to start out getting fitter, while also figuring out the bike setup.
Old 04-26-13, 07:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InOmaha
maps.google.com Go to get directions and type in your city in both, then select the bike icon and it will highlight the trails.

I would also suggest a less expensive multi-level mag trainer. I found one off craiglist that included a slick tire for a really good price. I've seen some fluid trainers here and there but they are normally higher priced. It's a great way to start out getting fitter, while also figuring out the bike setup.
Thanks! I thought about one of those (although I had no idea what it was called) but I worry that I will get bored just cycling in place. I will reconsider.
Old 04-26-13, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It can be boring and tedius, especially at first when you feel terrible doing it and have nothing much to distract you from the pain. I started out at 41 and 267lbs, with sore knees and a really sore hip. I snored like a chainsaw and woke up multiple times a night between the hip and the breathing. I ran on a treadmill for 3 miles per day at first at a pace of <5 mph. I thought I was going to die the first month. Then each week after the first month I noticed I was running faster so I added distance until I got to 3 miles in 27minutes and 3.5 more at around 6-6.5 mph with incline training then another mile walking. It took almost 9 months of 5 days/week running to get to that point.

Adding diet control to it, I got to 217 lbs before an injury to an adductor muscle in my weaker hip. Now I cross train between running, biking, and weight lifting. I'm still the same size as 215-217 but I'm 225-230 depending on the time of day. I don't pay too much attention anymore to weight. I'm tall enough that 215-220 would be a good in shape weight for me.

TV stinks at 5am that's for sure, I ended up wearing headphones with music and watching the news with closed captioning. That seemed to be the best mix to keep me occupied so I wasn't staring at the time on the treadmill hoping for it to be over.

Outdoors is better for the distractions, but inside is consistent and you have fewer excuses. I've managed the habit of ~5am to 6am workouts for 5 day/week for almost 2 years now. It's so routine now that I feel bad when I miss a day.

Last edited by InOmaha; 04-26-13 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-26-13, 08:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Outdoors is better for the distractions, but inside is consistent and you have fewer excuses. I've managed the habit of ~5am to 6am workouts for 5 day/week for almost 2 years now. It's so routine now that I feel bad when I miss a day.
Very true. I was wondering how much of an actual workout I will get considering I will probably coast when I get tired. While I am hoping to lose weight (what woman wants to be this big?) it is not my main motivator. I am afraid of being immobile and if I don't start moving, I am definitely heading in that direction.
Old 04-26-13, 08:19 AM
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
best advice I can offer is just get active for an hour each day. Its not hard to do if you have really decided you want to change. Dont worry about distance, speed, just worry about doing something active 1 hour per day.

Find a path close to the house, just go pedal around in circles on it (if required or out and back or whatever) for an hour. If you are sore the next day, go walk for an hour. Find a few different places and mix it up day after day. Dont let "things" always get in the way. Dont let work, or kids, or weather be the reason you dont work out.

I found I have to do mine after work. If I am at home, I am at work at 6 am and I simply cant get up any earlier, so I have to work out at night. I make a habit of the second I walk in the door, I throw on my bike clothes and go. I dont stop and talk to the wife, I dont watch tv, I dont do anything other than get out quick before my mind comes up with a reason I am not going to work out. If I am traveling, I try and do an hour in the hotel gym in the morning. I usually end up working late when I am on the road so its more reliable for me to get my workout in the morning.

The truth is the only thing between you and getting active is you. Dont worry about how much or how far, or how long. If you cant do an hour to start, get a half hour, then a month later get 45 minutes...you get the idea.

You can do this, you have the fear of not doing it, now just get over the fear of doing it. All you have to do is take the first step, then the second...it will come.

Good luck, and keep us posted on the progress.
Old 04-26-13, 08:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are definitely streets to avoid here in the city, but looking up directions to wherever you want to go by bicycle will usually give you a few options (i.e. most direct, safest, etc). The traffic here isn't very fast, and there are a lot of other bikers, so I feel pretty safe most of the time. I enjoy biking around Prospect Park and Forest Park, but I don't care so much for the west side bike path in Manhattan - narrow and full of people. Also this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...g-In-Queens-NY

Don't let the traffic put you off! Just be careful. Avoid the "door zone", don't get pinched between vehicles, and watch out for people turning into you at intersections. It gets fun after a while.
Old 04-26-13, 08:41 AM
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Look at TrailLink.com. I'd also poke around and then post in the Northeast regional forum.

When learning, I agree that not riding in traffic is the way to go. I highly recommend mirrors (on either your helmet or handlebars). Take it slow, have fun, and you'll figure it out (with help when needed).
Old 04-26-13, 09:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All good ideas. I really like the google maps tip.

https://thefrugalhamstercyclist.blogspot.com/
Old 04-26-13, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It can be boring and tedius, especially at first when you feel terrible doing it and have nothing much to distract you from the pain. I started out at 41 and 267lbs, with sore knees and a really sore hip. I snored like a chainsaw and woke up multiple times a night between the hip and the breathing. I ran on a treadmill for 3 miles per day at first at a pace of <5 mph. I thought I was going to die the first month. Then each week after the first month I noticed I was running faster so I added distance until I got to 3 miles in 27minutes and 3.5 more at around 6-6.5 mph with incline training then another mile walking. It took almost 9 months of 5 days/week running to get to that point.

Adding diet control to it, I got to 217 lbs before an injury to an adductor muscle in my weaker hip. Now I cross train between running, biking, and weight lifting. I'm still the same size as 215-217 but I'm 225-230 depending on the time of day. I don't pay too much attention anymore to weight. I'm tall enough that 215-220 would be a good in shape weight for me.

TV stinks at 5am that's for sure, I ended up wearing headphones with music and watching the news with closed captioning. That seemed to be the best mix to keep me occupied so I wasn't staring at the time on the treadmill hoping for it to be over.

Darn! Now I'm going to have to go out and buy a mag trainer! That's a great idea!
Old 04-29-13, 08:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the great responses. FatherAlabaster, I will check out that link. I actually live across the street from Forest Park but that road is little too hilly for me right now. I am thinking about just riding in circles in the bandshell parking lot in the morning though. cplager, I checked out triallink.com and ended up going to Bethpage, Long Island. The trail was nice but I found crossing the highway exits a little scary.

We ended up doing an 8 mile round trip, which was like 7 miles too long for me. LOL My boyfriend is younger and in better shape so I am sure he could have done alot more. I had to walk my bike up the last hill but I didn't care. It felt great even though my legs hurt and my backside is not happy with me. We are going to Philadelphia for the weekend and we're bringing the bikes!
Old 04-29-13, 08:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vesteroid
best advice I can offer is just get active for an hour each day. Its not hard to do if you have really decided you want to change. Dont worry about distance, speed, just worry about doing something active 1 hour per day. Find a path close to the house, just go pedal around in circles on it (if required or out and back or whatever) for an hour.
This is what gave me the idea to just circle the parking lot, I wouldn't have thought of it. Thanks!
Old 04-29-13, 12:57 PM

Bikes: Helkama Saana

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You have some great resources for biking in New York City. You might start here: https://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/bic...bikemaps.shtml

I have discovered riding on the roads gets easier with experience. Join a bicycle club and ride with other people. I know it isn't really safer, but it FEELS safer when you are in a pack of cyclists.
Old 05-05-13, 09:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hadn't thought of joining a bike club. I guess I thought you needed to be a pro to do that. I have been taking short rides and I am definitely feeling more comfortable. Going to try different bike paths to keep it interesting, unless I come across one I really like. We are heading to Cunningham Park today. Hoping this becomes a habit.
Old 05-05-13, 01:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's another website with 'paths' marked on the map... also any bike store in NYC should have the other link in print form available for free. https://www.nycbikemaps.com/

Not sure which borough you might be in for convenience... there are a few clubs in and around the city.
nycc.org
westchestercycleclub.org
5bbc.org
btcnj.org (NJ area but close enough to the city)

nycc - has social rides at minimum once a month and sometimes more which are at a relaxed pace
btcnj - has listed C and D rides to give you another option (if you're not quite so sure opt for D and enjoy)

As for flat trails... Prospect and Central Parks do have hills and can get crowded. North County trail (shown on the website i recommended) you can drive up to any of the parking lots and its a cycling only path.

Its a fun and you can of course make it as challenging as possible as you progress. Hope this helps.
Old 05-07-13, 11:10 AM

Bikes: Helkama Saana

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just found this in the New York Times about classes for bike riders. I'm sharing it cause I enjoyed it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/ny...es-please.html
Old 05-07-13, 12:22 PM
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaapa
I just found this in the New York Times about classes for bike riders. I'm sharing it cause I enjoyed it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/ny...es-please.html
if I was just starting to ride and in NYC I would take that class in a heart beat... riding in traffic can be frustrating and a bit scary... I miss living out at the edge of the country in FL :-/... but i'm thankful burb traffic of Houston isn't anything like the city itself