Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cable lubrication for winter use

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-14, 12:11 PM

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Should cables be lubricated if the bike is to be used in the winter? If so, what would be recommended?

I will be replacing my cables this summer on my winter bike and I want to know if I need to lubricate them. I haven't bought the cables (or housing) yet so if there are any recommendations in those areas for a winter-use bike, please go ahead with your recommendations.
Old 02-27-14, 08:56 PM

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have mixed feelings with cable lube, to me it mostly depends on cable type, if I am running stainless cables I do not lube them unless I will be in very corrosive conditions like lots of salty slush. If I am running galvanized cables I always lube them to help keep corrosion away.

For lube, my favorite is a cable specific lube from Shimano but the tub is very pricy, my next favorite is called Cable Magic by Rock N Roll, much cheaper and neither one seems to gum up over time.
Old 03-23-14, 01:05 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Rochester and old Helkama Kulkuri

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had freezing problem with my 21 speed hybrid bike (it became a fix, no brakes (frozen), wasn't able to use gears (frozen) ). Then I used oil, which is meant to use when taking care of weapons (hunting, you know). The freezing point of that oil which I had was told to be -40°C (-40°F), so it was a good choice and it did what I expected. It is quite thin and it is not cheap, but cables have worked fine in colder conditions. As far as I know, there exist a weapon oil, which has freezing point of -60°C (-76°F) and it should be enough in every conditions you really want (or even can) to use your bike
Old 03-23-14, 04:38 PM

Bikes: Various "modded" eZips and multiple econversions

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old school is paraffin wax.
I've tried paste wax - pretty good.
Made the mistake of trying manufacturer recommended lithium grease - horrible stiff-sticky!

After replacing cables I intend on trying a thin coating of synthetic grease w/teflon. Thin coating delivered by heating cable and rubbing in with heavily "greased" rag.
Old 03-23-14, 04:49 PM

Bikes: A MTB and something else with 2 pedals.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used Break-Free CLP all winter up here in MN with no probs. I shoot it in with a cattle syringe from both ends if the sleeve. I think the Mil-Spec is somewhere down near -60F.