Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for Time Trial Aero Helmet Suggestions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-05, 07:09 AM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I would like to purchase a time trial helmet, and the only three models I am even aware of are the two Louis Garneau helmets, the Rocket & the less expensive Prologue. Also, I am aware of the Lazer Chrono 2. I wonder if anyone who has gone through the decision process, or has experience with any of these, or perhaps even knows of a better alternative would give me some input to assist my decision making. Thanks.
Old 03-21-05, 11:39 AM
On Your Right

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something to consider is which of the TT helmets the racing organization approves. I don't think all of them are approved. So how did it go this past weekend? Give us a report!
Old 03-21-05, 12:35 PM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Zack: There was good news and bad news. First the bad news. A nationally ranked time trialist by the name of Leon Burk who is in my age group showed up. He is a multi-state champion. For example, he is current Ohio state Masters Time Trial Champion, and not only won his age group in both TT's, but had best time for all age groups. He did the same thing on Saturday, beating all of the much younger studs. Of course he had all the gear: High-end TT bike, Zipp wheels with rear disk, Louis Garneau Rocket TT helmet, etc., etc., and has been racing for over 20 years. I didn't have the gear, and have been riding only 10 months.

Now the good news: This guy has given me a target. Had I taken gold, I probably wouldn't be half as motivated as I am now. I want that boy!! Now on Saturday, he took me by 39 seconds, but on Sunday at the other venue, he had me by only 30. I figure I can make up quite a few more seconds with my TT bike and Zipp 999's, and I'll do the rest with puke fest interval training. A Florida state time trial champion who was there told me that he believes you can go 2 mph faster just with aero bars which I did not have.

Anyway, bottom line is I took 4 silver medals to his 4 gold, but would have won the younger age group. The picture, BTW, shows me before the incredible pain that was lurking.

I hope I get some input on the helmet. My next event is in May, and I will have my Guru TT machine, and want to get a good aero helmet.

BTW, I may not have been the fastest rider, but in my zebra skinsuit, I think I was the most fashionable!!
Old 03-21-05, 02:42 PM
Site *****

Bikes: 1960 Malvern Star

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lance Armstrong has a hat with a massive fin on it. I reckon he gets in front and uses the fin to create some awesome wake turbulence that causes problems for just about everyone behind him. Just my 2 cents worth
Old 03-21-05, 03:03 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HaagenDas
Lance Armstrong has a hat with a massive fin on it. I reckon he gets in front and uses the fin to create some awesome wake turbulence that causes problems for just about everyone behind him. Just my 2 cents worth
Then I definitely want one with a big fin.
Old 03-21-05, 03:05 PM
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Skydive, considering that the Roubaix' riding position is more upright than aero I think you did an excellent job! Well done.

So did the CycleOps help you out more than you thought? Just curious as to how those trainer sessions were working out for you.
Old 03-21-05, 03:14 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Skydive, considering that the Roubaix' riding position is more upright than aero I think you did an excellent job! Well done.

So did the CycleOps help you out more than you thought? Just curious as to how those trainer sessions were working out for you.
I was too much of a veggie to use mine. There were quite a few of them in use as warm-up mediums, but I simply did about 40 minutes on the road with quite a few pick-ups to race pace, and a couple of all out sprints. I came to the line ready to ride. Of course that brings up another interesting issue. The super rider that kicked my butt, seemed to warm-up quite slowly and gently. I later asked him if he did any sprinting or pickups in his warm-up to which he replied in the negative. I guess you have to pay attention to the guy with the chips, but I always thought the best way to prepare the body for battle, and open up all those capallaries was to put the body under more than a gentle load.
Old 03-21-05, 03:31 PM
Interocitor Command

Originally Posted by skydive69
I was too much of a veggie to use mine. There were quite a few of them in use as warm-up mediums, but I simply did about 40 minutes on the road with quite a few pick-ups to race pace, and a couple of all out sprints. I came to the line ready to ride.
There is one big advantage of using your trainer to warm up and that's so you don't get a last minute flat during your warmup should you pick up a sliver of glass or something on the road. That would totally blow your mood. Or you could have brought 2 sets of wheels and swapped them out before your TT.

Of course that brings up another interesting issue. The super rider that kicked my butt, seemed to warm-up quite slowly and gently. I later asked him if he did any sprinting or pickups in his warm-up to which he replied in the negative. I guess you have to pay attention to the guy with the chips, but I always thought the best way to prepare the body for battle, and open up all those capallaries was to put the body under more than a gentle load.
He's most likely seasoned enough to know exactly what warmup works best for him. Also, he may have just been playing around for those events. If these were his first TTs of a long season he may just be testing himself out so he didn't take it too seriously. It's just a guess, of course. It would be like Lance entering a Spring Classic. He never wins them, although I'm sure he could. He just uses them as training and to gauge his fitness for the big one.

I'm like you. I want to get the bod prepared for some above LT work. Tooling around at 65% MaxHR doesn't help me with that. I think each rider should do what suits them best. Now that you have a plan in mind you could time yourself on a couple of training Time Trials and see if his method works for you. It's worth a shot.
Old 03-21-05, 03:47 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good point about the trainer, but I was amazed to find a mobile bike shop set up when I arrived for the first race. I was a bit worried, because my rear tire seemed a bit low from the day before which is often indicative of very small leak. I went over to them, and asked them if they would service me quickly if I warmed up, and then had a problem. They assured me that they would have me back on the road with a new tube in seconds should I have an issue. It gave me a wonderful feeling to know that I would not have to deal with it, robbing me of pre-race focus.

Regarding the warm-up, he indicated that that was his warm-up method. He indicated being well aware of different opinions as to the proper pre-race warm-up, but he found that the gentle, spinning approach worked best for him.

What I am really anxious to time myself at, is the time trial course we have marked out in St. Petersburg before and after aero bike. I should have it within a couple of weeks, and it will be interesting to see what difference that aero frame, zipp wheels, aero bars, etc., make over my road bike. Of course it will be difficult to replicate the exact conditions, but I am still very anxious to do it.

When I get the Zipp wheelset, I will carry my Dura-ace wheels to all events should I need to do a last minute swap. One gal experienced my nightmare. As she came to the line for her time trial start sporting a HED disk rear tubular, there was a load bang, and she was out of business. Can't change those babies very quickly unless you have super fast drying glue.
Old 03-21-05, 03:55 PM
Somewhere in CA

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
That zebraskin suit is awesome... Something that super-mario may wear Where did you find it?
Old 03-21-05, 04:03 PM
Interocitor Command

That's good about a mobile bike clinic being there. It certainly would help. I'd rather bring my own stuff though - latex tubes, super light weight tires, extra wheels, yadda yadda.

It seems everyone has their rituals about preperation ranging from a rabbit's foot to bowing to the East. The gentle spinning must work best for him at this point. Of course, he's probably also spending a great deal of energy getting psyched.

It sounds like you've found a new avenue for fun! Good luck with it.
Old 03-21-05, 04:09 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do bring a rather substantial tool chest, and lots of spare stuff.

When I retired from running competiton, I never thought I would return. Too much work and time involved. The difference is, I love the bike, and I hated running. I did it because I excelled at it, and loved the competition. I wish I would have discovered cycling earlier in life - I intend, however, to make up for lost time!
Old 03-21-05, 04:47 PM
Interocitor Command

I do bring a rather substantial tool chest, and lots of spare stuff.

When I retired from running competiton, I never thought I would return. Too much work and time involved. The difference is, I love the bike, and I hated running. I did it because I excelled at it, and loved the competition. I wish I would have discovered cycling earlier in life - I intend, however, to make up for lost time!
That's great. Cycling is an excellent activity. Personally, I'd rather run but my knees can't take it and I have a degenerative condition in my lower spine which prevents me from doing many things. Even such little things as grocery shopping are painful let alone the strain and pounding from jogging/running. I do, however, like it better than cycling though. And it's safer!! Fewer tards behind the wheels of cars to contend with. Fortunately, cycling is my second choice and it doesn't seem to affect my back unfavorably.

I don't think I'll every be any good at cycling as I have too many respiratory problems. Just went to the Dr.'s orifice today as I have a pretty bad case of bronchitis. I have two or three bouts with it every year now. Also have asthma and allergies. I'm also way to heavy. After 2 years of cycling I've actually gained weight!! I'm tipping the scales at 250 now. About 18 months ago I was 225. Most people drop kegs of weight, but not me. My physician wants to run a battery of tests on me to see if my thyroid and blood sugar are within normal levels. All of this scheiße going wrong and I'm not quite 45 yet!!

My main goal this year is to improve my 50 mile time. Last September I managed an average of 17 MPH solo with no breaks on a somewhat windy day. Eventually, I'd like to be able to consistently average 20.
Old 03-21-05, 05:07 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those various maladies are so bothersome, but hopefully part of it can be easily dealt with by giving the thyroid a bit of help to assure a good TSH reading.

I was always an excellent runner, and ran a 5:36 mile with zero training as a kid. As an adult, I was national masters cross country champion, and national 3 mile champion - I just hated running!

at 17 mph, windy, solo effort at 50 miles is a great accomplishment!
Old 03-21-05, 05:38 PM
Interocitor Command

Those various maladies are so bothersome, but hopefully part of it can be easily dealt with by giving the thyroid a bit of help to assure a good TSH reading.
All it takes is money. I haven't had insurance in about 4 years. My career was outsourced overseas for ultra cheap labor.

I was always an excellent runner, and ran a 5:36 mile with zero training as a kid. As an adult, I was national masters cross country champion, and national 3 mile champion - I just hated running!
You definitely have some genetic gifts to be able to do a 5:36 mile with zero training. I was a sprinter in HS. My best 100 yard dash was 10.8 and my best 220 was 58. Not too impressive.

I have a 32 year old Cousin who can run a 5K in about 18 minutes with no specific training. He can also ride his MTB with fat knobby tires at 18 MPH for about as long as he wants. He says he gets bored after about 3 hours. At most he does about 30 min of aerobics and 30 min of weights a few days per week. He's pure red twitch.

at 17 mph, windy, solo effort at 50 miles is a great accomplishment!
Nah. It sucks. For 2 years of training I should be further along than that.
Old 03-21-05, 06:26 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Old 03-21-05, 07:15 PM
On Your Right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, I may not have been the fastest rider, but in my zebra skinsuit, I think I was the most fashionable!!
You are my new hero! That skinsuit is too cool! You should do a full race report and post it in the road bike racing forum. It's great to see one of our members here on BF have such a successful race weekend. You have several months to prepare for the December showdown. I hope you kick his ass!
Old 03-21-05, 08:46 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is very scary to be without insurance. I know what it is like to lose a job. I had 25 years as an Eastern Airlines pilot when they went out of business with 9 more years left on my wonderful career.

Genetics plays such a major role in any aerobic sport. As you know Lance Armstrong broke the record at the Cooper clinic for VO2max as I recall, when he was a 16 year old.

I was running 5K sub 16 minutes as a 40 year-old, but from a combination of great genetics for aerobic sport, and years of hard training.
Old 03-21-05, 08:50 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Damn, slvoid, now you really have confused the hell out of me!
Old 03-21-05, 08:52 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Zack, I was definitely cuffing my chin in the mirror when I discovered that zebra skin suit on-line. I had more fun with it at the race! Now if I can only find some zebra aero shoe covers..... LOL
Old 03-21-05, 09:38 PM
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That shamin helmet has what looks like 2 thrusters in the back. Might give you a boost.
Old 03-22-05, 07:19 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by slvoid
That shamin helmet has what looks like 2 thrusters in the back. Might give you a boost.
Some of those are difficult to find. Many of the vendors do not sell aero helmets.
Old 03-22-05, 08:35 AM
Boffin

Bikes: 2003 LeMond Alpe d'Huez, 2000 Merlin Road Titanium (Carbon Fiber Front Fork)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My friend is actually selling a Limar TT Helmet, but it is not USCF legal (would have been a few years ago). Selling it on E-Bay for $20 right now (no one has bid on it)...not sure if that is what you are looking for though. I have to ask him where he got it from....

If you are interested in it, i can give you the link to his E-Bay Auction.
Old 03-22-05, 09:17 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TitaniuMerlin
My friend is actually selling a Limar TT Helmet, but it is not USCF legal (would have been a few years ago). Selling it on E-Bay for $20 right now (no one has bid on it)...not sure if that is what you are looking for though. I have to ask him where he got it from....

If you are interested in it, i can give you the link to his E-Bay Auction.
Thanks for the tip, but the events that I am competing in require legal helmets.
Old 04-07-05, 05:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rudy Project...

https://www.rudyprojectusa.com/images...n/hl342472.gif

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.