Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Does Chrome Prevent Rust?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-14, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts

I'm looking at the Mercier Kilo TT bike (Save up to 60% off new Mercier Singlespeed Track Bikes - Kilo TT Special Chrome Edition) and I would like to know if the Chrome prevents Rust from appearing on the frame or traps it underneath the coating.
Old 04-10-14, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Chrome is just one of several metals that will oxidize "rust". Iron, copper aluminum, etc. will also rust.
Old 04-10-14, 05:43 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I wouldn't say it will prevent rust, but if you take reasonable care of it you shouldn't have a problem. As anecdotal evidence, I refer you to the chrome handlebars in this box of parts:

but cross reference the chrome plated fork end on the frame from the same bike that those parts were on:

This bike was kept in an Oregon barn for about 30 years before I came to own it. I was able to break the chain with my bare hands it was so rusty. This is the extreme end of what will happen if you do absolutely nothing to take care of the bike.

On the other hand, if you keep it in a dry place and maybe wipe it down once in a while, it should be fine. Even with 30 years of complete neglect the frame above was structurally sound. I was even able to get most of the rust off of the handlebars, though they showed significant pock marks.
Old 04-10-14, 05:52 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
My bike with the chrome lugs and fork crown doesn't have any chrome anymore. It all rusted off after 30 or so years.
Old 04-10-14, 05:56 PM

Bikes: Franken-mountain bike, mid-90s Performance TR1000, 1990 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
But what it will do is protect the material underneath it from corrosion for some time.
Old 04-10-14, 06:13 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle
But what it will do is protect the material underneath it from corrosion for some time.
But only from one direction. You forget about moisture that collects inside the tubes.
Old 04-10-14, 06:15 PM

Bikes: Franken-mountain bike, mid-90s Performance TR1000, 1990 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
But only from one direction. You forget about moisture that collects inside the tubes.
Fair enough, though I make it a point to drain and dry my frame whenever I fall in a river (true story)
Old 04-10-14, 06:17 PM
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Think of chrome as a somewhat fragile coating for ferrous metal. As long as it is intact, it will protect the base metal from corrosion. But once there is a breach in the coating, corrosion of the ferrous metal will ensue, rapidly, under the right conditions. The problem is that chromium, not to mention the intermediate coatings between it and the parent ferrous material, is higher on the galvanic scale than iron, so once there is an electrical path between the iron and the other metals (because of a scratch or a pit, along with moisture or humidity, facilitating a path for ion transfer), the other metals will rob the iron of electrons, resulting in accelerated rusting of the iron.
Old 04-10-14, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Chrome powder coating would last longer and protect the frame better, but wouldn't be quite as shiny as real chrome.
Old 04-10-14, 08:18 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Properly done chrome plating is an excellent rust preventative. Think back to all those chrome plated car bumpers of the fifties and sixties, and all the chrome plated marine parts used on boats and ships, no t to mention the chrome plated tools in your tool box.

However, it's not 100% impervious to oxygen which can slip past and attack the steel underneath. So without any help, chrome greatly slows the rust process, but doesn't prevent rust altogether. However with some help in the form of periodic cleaning and applying an oil or wax film, chrome can totally prevent rust and stay shiny forever.

As I said it depends on how well the plating job is done, but once glance at all the chrome parts, - bars, stems, seat posts and cranks - on older bikes that's still in good shape after decades should convince anyone that chrome does indeed prevent rust.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-10-14, 09:56 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
^^ Beat me to it. My '80 DL-1 chromed handlebar, hubs, cranks, brake rods, etc. still look as new after many rains, while some much newer chromed parts in other bikes are orange/red with rust.
Old 04-11-14, 12:50 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Think back to all those chrome plated car bumpers of the fifties and sixties
Not sure how it was downstate, but being from Upstate, that's exactly what I think of when I think of something chrome and rusty--car bumpers from when I was growing up. Around here, chrome bumpers didn't last any longer than the rest of the car--three years tops.

The introduction of stainless and plastic-covered bumpers in the 70s was seen here as a godsend. As was the use of galvanized in the rest of the car in the 80s. I remember when you had to take a magnet with you when shopping for a used car to determine how much Bondo was in it.
Old 04-11-14, 06:42 AM
Lurking Under a Rock

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know no one probably cares, but outside of blingy bicycles and bicycle parts, chrome can be added as apart of the steel concoction. While the chrome itself doesn't change the physical properties of steel, nor prevent the oxidation process, it can help with other forms of corrosion. Corrosion from CO2 being one of them.

In terms of bicycle frames themselves, I'll take a nice paint job over chrome plating any day of the week.
Old 04-11-14, 09:14 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like Steel, Chrome will absolutely NOT rust, if kept dry!
Old 04-11-14, 10:09 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
follow on from FB,

A good chrome job is actually electro plated with 3 different metals ... Copper , then Nickel, then Chromium ..

want non rusting/'oxidizing metal? Titanium is your way to go ..
just dont try to weld it without purging the O2 away, with an Inert Gas flow , till it cools .

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-11-14 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-11-14, 03:01 PM

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
Think of chrome as a somewhat fragile coating for ferrous metal.
https://www.newmoa.org/prevention/p2t...hromefinal.pdf

Chromium is generally applied over a nickel deposit, which a variety of materials can readily accpet, including plastic.
Old 04-11-14, 03:10 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
things on the moon probably dont rust, minus an atmosphere. Oxygen or anything ..
Old 04-11-14, 03:29 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My understanding is that on old steel frames with chrome plating, the chrome is OK, but the metal underneath gets eaten away by rust. Old chrome tends to look ratty when it starts to get pitted.

For a while, back in the 70's/80's, it was common to chrome-plate Italian frames before painting. Where the paint chips away, there is chrome underneath. It makes for a hard & smooth surface, so using it on rear dropouts was not such a good idea, as the hubs would slip in the dropouts (unless there were adjustment screws of tugs to support the axles).

Luis
Old 04-11-14, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
base metal + (nickle)+bright nickle+ chrome. The chrome could be considered the "clear coat" over the bright nickle. The chrome plating is hard and can be removed to expose the nickle under it. Older types of abrasive chrome cleaners exposed the nickle underneath and covered the shiny nickle with automotive wax. Corrosion of the base ferrous metal is usually red rust that bleeds through the micro-porous chrome coating or between the micro-fractured chrome cells.
sorry about the wordy explanation.
Old 04-11-14, 04:20 PM
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by jfowler85
https://www.newmoa.org/prevention/p2t...hromefinal.pdf

Chromium is generally applied over [another metal]...
Elsewhere in my post I covered that, so, yeah, I agree.