Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Crossfit!?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Schwinn Crossfit!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-14, 05:11 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Archery_Queen
So it's not just this bike, it's all bikes? Hmm okay then maybe it is worth it for the price range I'm looking to spend. Idk...
No,you just have to find the right one. My Dad gave me a 90's hybrid that spent it's life hanging on the wall in the basement. I swapped the tires and added fenders and rode it for a bit. Decided it wasn't me and sold it for $85;that's what I had into it for tires and fenders. I've seen people come into my clinic with CraigsList bikes that were screaming deals and some that were total ripoffs. You just have to be careful to pick the right one. If the bike's been sitting for a very long time,expect it to need tubes/tires/break pads and maybe a chain. Expect derailleurs and brakes to need adjusting,and wheels might need truing. Avoid bike with lots of rust,or that have hard to find parts(French,Shimano Positron). Also look for folks who are getting out of biking of moving and just want to be rid of their bike.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 04-17-14, 05:20 PM
It's Queen to you!

Bikes: Roadmaster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
No,you just have to find the right one. My Dad gave me a 90's hybrid that spent it's life hanging on the wall in the basement. I swapped the tires and added fenders and rode it for a bit. Decided it wasn't me and sold it for $85;that's what I had into it for tires and fenders. I've seen people come into my clinic with CraigsList bikes that were screaming deals and some that were total ripoffs. You just have to be careful to pick the right one. If the bike's been sitting for a very long time,expect it to need tubes/tires/break pads and maybe a chain. Expect derailleurs and brakes to need adjusting,and wheels might need truing. Avoid bike with lots of rust,or that have hard to find parts(French,Shimano Positron). Also look for folks who are getting out of biking of moving and just want to be rid of their bike.

After finding an old catalog in PDF form I found out this bike weighs 30 lbs, 10 lbs lighter than my bike, this is exactly what I need. I don't have gas money to get around so bikes are my transportation. So maybe it IS worth putting some money into, as long as it isn't too much I suppose...
Old 04-17-14, 09:26 PM
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
why not buy this one?
New Schwinn bicycle

is this too far? This is a bike worth putting money into. Quality all around
Raleigh Sports - 3 Speed IGh
Old 04-17-14, 09:52 PM
It's Queen to you!

Bikes: Roadmaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thenomad
why not buy this one?
New Schwinn bicycle

is this too far? This is a bike worth putting money into. Quality all around
Raleigh Sports - 3 Speed IGh
the first one has a suspension fork and the 2nd one it totally done for, it would obviously cost me more to fix that one up then my 93 schwinn crossfit

i need something that will get me up hills... That won't

Last edited by Archery_Queen; 04-17-14 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-18-14, 06:32 AM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I think the cheapest and most practical option would be to get that Schwinn Crossfit fixed or just keep riding your old mountain bike until you can afford something better... Climbing hills has a lot to do with strength and technique.. Standing on the pedals makes it easier to ride up hills then sitting down, a handlebars with bar-ends will also help. Bar-ends give you more leverage which makes it easier to climb hills... An yea avoid bikes with suspension.
Suspension is an unnecessary gimmick. A commuting bike doesn't need suspension

Last edited by wolfchild; 04-18-14 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-19-20, 01:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bottom bracket

Does anyone know the specs on the bottom bracket for this bike? I’ve been looking everywhere and have had a pretty hard time figuring it out
Old 02-19-20, 03:52 PM
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
It's almost certainly 68mm English threaded.

Spindle length goes with crank, not frame, and is probably stamped on the spindle once you have it out.
Genesis 49:16-17