Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

is carbon front fork worth the cost

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-14, 05:15 PM

Bikes: 2005 Gary Fisher Nirvana; 2010 Trek FX7.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just curious if people think a carbon front fork is worth the cost? Is there a significant difference between different companies carbon forks? Is a front fork with a curve better than a straighter one? I appreciate your input, thanks. I have a Trek FX-2 and ride for fun and fitness about 25 miles per ride.
Old 07-12-14, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If you have an alloy bike, it makes it a sweet and compliant ride. Well worth the money.
Old 07-12-14, 10:41 PM

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 830, 1996 Trek Singletrack 930, 1995 Giant Innova, 2012 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by B2mac
Just curious if people think a carbon front fork is worth the cost?.....I have a Trek FX-2 and ride for fun and fitness about 25 miles per ride.
Based on your question and statement in your post, I would say spend your money elsewhere. For fitness and fun, a carbon fork is not going to gain you much, if anything, over the stock steel fork.

It seems that there are two main reasons people think carbon forks are better: weight reduction & ride quality.

The weight you will save on your bike by switching to a carbon fork is going to be very minimal. The reduction will be a pound at best and when you factor in the weight of the rider, accessories, etc., a pound is nothing. The total package can fluctuate more than that if you use the bathroom before a ride...seriously. If you were a racer and were worried about fractions of a minute over 100 mile race using 100% of your energy, then a one pound difference could make a difference. However, for recreational and fitness riding, that difference in weight isn't going to get you off the trail faster or to the next stop light that much quicker...if at all.

The other thing I hear about carbon forks is the exponential improvement in ride quality. I don't think it's quite there. A lot of the "better" ride quality is a placebo effect. Can carbon soak up and deaden some harmonic road vibration at a certain speed...sure it can. Can your hands feel that difference between it and a steel fork...probably not. The differences could be measured in a lab....but when was the last time you went for a fitness or recreational bike ride in a lab? A steel fork will smooth out most rough surfaces just fine and be more than adequate for a recreational fitness rider.

One thing to consider before buying a carbon fork is tires. Both for weight reduction and comfort. Weigh your stock tires and shop for ones that weigh less. Moving down a size in mm could easily save some weight without changing the ride. Also, experiment with air pressure. Reducing the air pressure to the lowest recommended pressure could easily improve the ride quality without hindering your speed at all.

Sorry if I sound harsh or bitter towards carbon forks. I just think for the money, there are other cycling related items that could be purchased that would provide a greater overall benefit.
Old 07-13-14, 12:23 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Mountain 200.....Giant Escape 0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find my Giant Escape 0, with the carbon fork, does indeed smooth out the chip seal roads better than an aluminum fork. I tested this back to back, However, the steel fork bike I road seemed similar to the carbon fork.

I was quite leary about purchasing another aluminum bike because my 71 year old body does not tolerate a harsh ride. The Giant Escape 0 I bought and the Trek 7.4 FX I was also considering, both rode quite nice.
Old 07-13-14, 02:57 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clarkbre
The other thing I hear about carbon forks is the exponential improvement in ride quality. I don't think it's quite there. A lot of the "better" ride quality is a placebo effect.
Curious as to how you came to this conclusion. I had a Fuji Absolute with a alloy fork that rode terribly. Swapped it for CF and the difference was night and day. I also had a Civia Hyland that came with a CF fork. They did a recall and replaced it with an exact copy in steel. I noticed a touch more buzz on rough surfaces like brick and cobblestone compared to the CF. Note;I have carpel tunnel issues,so there is no placebo here. I could not ride the Fuji to work more than two days in a row or my wrists hurt. With the CF fork,I was able to commute for an entire week with no issues.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 07-13-14, 03:04 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just curious if people think a carbon front fork is worth the cost?
For replacing an alloy fork,yes. For a steel fork,maybe. Some steel forks are pretty heavy,some aren't so bad. If you have a steel fork and are looking for a performance upgrade,you'd do better swapping on lighter tires.

Is there a significant difference between different companies carbon forks?
Sure,a high-end fork like Niner is going to ride better and be built better than some no-name China eBay special.

Is a front fork with a curve better than a straighter one?
A curved fork will ride better,but if your stock fork is straight,it will effect your bike's handling. How much depends on the specific fork and your frame's geometry. It's generally best to match the new fork to the stock one,since manufactures tend to know what they're doing when they design a bike.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 07-14-14, 12:26 PM
just pokin' along

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With 700x35 tires, you've got plenty of suspension built into the front. If you're looking for a bit more plushness to the ride, consider moving to a different tire. I found other tires have a bit better ride quality. Panaracer Paselas are an affordable alternative that offers lighter weight and supple sidewalls. Keep the tire pressure at optimum (not @ max psi). Switching to a carbon fork will lighten up the front end (if that's your goal), but it won't dampen the ride any more than the above. A carbon fork does have its place with narrow, high pressure road tires.
Old 07-14-14, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Wags
I find my Giant Escape 0, with the carbon fork, does indeed smooth out the chip seal roads better than an aluminum fork. I tested this back to back, However, the steel fork bike I road seemed similar to the carbon fork.

I was quite leary about purchasing another aluminum bike because my 71 year old body does not tolerate a harsh ride. The Giant Escape 0 I bought and the Trek 7.4 FX I was also considering, both rode quite nice.
Alloy bikes don't have a harsh ride. The feel is comparable to steel if well designed and built to smooth out the ride. And alloy has one major advantage over steel: light weight.
Old 07-14-14, 02:49 PM
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I would go with titanium side forks.
Old 07-14-14, 03:26 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
You don't say whether you're spending up for a better carbon fork or looking at just any fork. I have a Nashbar carbon with an aluminum steerer, who knows where it came from. I couldn't tell you that it damps out vibrations all that much but it is lighter than comparably priced forks and very solid. It cost about what the frame did. I'd do it again on that bike if I were building it now.
Old 07-14-14, 05:54 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I'm fine with steel forks & frames .. for myself