Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-27-11, 01:29 PM   #1
BotByte
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: In a crate
Bikes:
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fixie Question

I'm an advid cyclist, and new to ss and fixies.

I have a ss and love it. I go anywhere with it. And I was thinking of making it a fixie.

But the problem with it is:

What is a fixie?
I know that it's a fixed gear bike that turns the wheel the same as the peddle. Forward, reverse.

But there is coaster brakes in fixies, and set fixies.

So what constitutes a fixie to you?
BotByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 01:30 PM   #2
xavier853
.
 
xavier853's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus
Bikes: Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta
Posts: 2,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-gear_bicycle
xavier853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 01:31 PM   #3
BotByte
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: In a crate
Bikes:
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read the wiki! But thanks for trying.
BotByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 01:34 PM   #4
xavier853
.
 
xavier853's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus
Bikes: Pegueot UO8, Tommaso Augusta
Posts: 2,027
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a bit confused then to what is still troubling you?

A Bike with a coaster brake is not a "fixie." It is essentially a Single Speed with a coaster brake.

A fixed gear bike has a continually moving drivetrain when the pedals are in motion. You must use back-pressure to the pedal stroke to slow the pedal motion to come to a stop when not using brakes.

What else needs clarification. I thought the wiki did a good job
xavier853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 01:42 PM   #5
BotByte
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: In a crate
Bikes:
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I'm just asking if there is something different of off about my knowledge.

I just wanted to know if a fixie means that there is no way that the peddles and rear wheel cannot stop each other. It's complicated, but I'm just trying to understand the idea better.

Better question, should I go fixie? I'm a single speed road bike with front a rear brakes, no special peddles and a thread on hub. If I go fixie, what do I need?
BotByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 01:46 PM   #6
Edge_Walker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is your hub a flip flop hub? Freewheel and fixed cogs thread on a little differently.
Edge_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 02:51 PM   #7
BotByte
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: In a crate
Bikes:
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's not a flip flop hub. I converted a older 10 speed to a ss and I threaded on the freewheel. There was a suntour freewheel that unthreaded the entire set up off the hub. Then I took a bmx 16 tooth freewheel and spun it on.
BotByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 03:44 PM   #8
Butthash
Gold Member
 
Butthash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Humboldt County, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Best thing to do is to get on one and ride before you commit to it. Trying to ride one will right away give you a better understanding of it. Ask a friend, or even maybe your LBS for a test ride.

Anyways, if you want to convert to a fixed gear you will need a wheel with a double-threaded hub,
See on the left side, how the thread goes from smaller to larger? Also, this, and most hubs you will find for fixed are flip flops(look, the other side is threaded as well, for a freewheel)

unless you just wanna suicide hub your current one(thread on a cog, and put some locktite in it) NOT USUALLY RECOMENDED.
Then a fixed cog and a lock ring, Technically, that's ALL you need, since your bike already has the shorter chain.

There are plenty of things out there to teach how to build a fixed gear bike/fixed gear conversion.
Hope I helped. Also, with this and most any project.

And Remember, GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!

Last edited by Butthash; 04-27-11 at 03:48 PM.
Butthash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 03:56 PM   #9
Sebster
Senior Member
 
Sebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post
Well, I'm just asking if there is something different of off about my knowledge.

I just wanted to know if a fixie means that there is no way that the peddles and rear wheel cannot stop each other. It's complicated, but I'm just trying to understand the idea better.

Better question, should I go fixie? I'm a single speed road bike with front a rear brakes, no special peddles and a thread on hub. If I go fixie, what do I need?

Articulate yourself better. "stop each other"? What does that even mean. The PEDALS which are connected to the crank which is connected to the drivetrain which is fixed is directly connected to the cog, so if you stop pedaling, the wheel will stop turning.

"Should I go fixie" is something that you yourself can answer, not us. God sorry I'm just upset, seriously use google and we have a newb thread for a reason!
Sebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 04:03 PM   #10
vw addict
Senior Member
 
vw addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: East coast
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, Cannondale R700, Specialized Langster, Iron Horse Hollowpoint Team, Schwinn Homegrown
Posts: 2,673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
if you have to ask after the wiki article you'll never get it.
vw addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 04:20 PM   #11
BotByte
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: In a crate
Bikes:
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthash View Post
Best thing to do is to get on one and ride before you commit to it. Trying to ride one will right away give you a better understanding of it. Ask a friend, or even maybe your LBS for a test ride.

Anyways, if you want to convert to a fixed gear you will need a wheel with a double-threaded hub,
See on the left side, how the thread goes from smaller to larger? Also, this, and most hubs you will find for fixed are flip flops(look, the other side is threaded as well, for a freewheel)

unless you just wanna suicide hub your current one(thread on a cog, and put some locktite in it) NOT USUALLY RECOMENDED.
Then a fixed cog and a lock ring, Technically, that's ALL you need, since your bike already has the shorter chain.

There are plenty of things out there to teach how to build a fixed gear bike/fixed gear conversion.
Hope I helped. Also, with this and most any project.

And Remember, GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!

Thank you! This is what I was asking, but I didn't know how to put it.


I guess I'll put over to a LBS and try one out. The problem is, is that I really like my Zeus hubs I have on.

A suicide fixie is the freewheel thread hub and locktite to widen the thread, correct? So a replacement flip flop hub is the best way to go.

Any good pricing for a flip flop hub? Also, cna I use the same quick release axle bolt and skewer I have on now if I change my hub?
BotByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 04:20 PM   #12
Young Version
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chico, CA
Bikes: Ridley X-Night, Wilier Izoard XP, 1981 Bianchi Pista, F. Moser
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's not a matter of opinion. The cog is a single piece of steel and is threaded directly onto the hub, so there's no mechanism that would allow you to coast. If the wheel's moving, the pedals are moving.
Young Version is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 04:22 PM   #13
BotByte
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: In a crate
Bikes:
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebster View Post
Articulate yourself better. "stop each other"? What does that even mean. The PEDALS which are connected to the crank which is connected to the drivetrain which is fixed is directly connected to the cog, so if you stop pedaling, the wheel will stop turning.

"Should I go fixie" is something that you yourself can answer, not us. God sorry I'm just upset, seriously use google and we have a newb thread for a reason!
I've been riding bike all my life, I've always had one and I always will. I just got into the idea of SS and decided to make my road bike one. I love it, just thinking of going fixie with it.
BotByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 04:49 PM   #14
striknein
Goes to 11.
 
striknein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wichita, KS, USA
Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross
Posts: 2,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebster View Post
Articulate yourself better. "stop each other"? What does that even mean. The PEDALS which are connected to the crank which is connected to the drivetrain which is fixed is directly connected to the cog, so if you stop pedaling, the wheel will stop turning.

"Should I go fixie" is something that you yourself can answer, not us. God sorry I'm just upset, seriously use google and we have a newb thread for a reason!
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ame?highlight= - What bike should I buy? - Sebster

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ase?highlight= - Will slamming my rear wheel help me sup grls? - Sebster

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-do?highlight= - I don't know how to change a cog at the 'drome, halpz? - Sebster

You might not have thought those questions were stupid when you posted them, but plenty of other people did. Nobody elected you hero of the forum. You've posted dumb crap, I've posted dumb crap, as have many other members. I think you're the one who needs to articulate better, because you're coming off like an ass.

To the OP: If you're considering riding fixed, you might be better served by borrowing a friend's bike/wheel for a week or so. Get a feel for it before plunking down the cash.

Last edited by striknein; 04-27-11 at 05:14 PM.
striknein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 05:19 PM   #15
BotByte
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: In a crate
Bikes:
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by striknein View Post
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ame?highlight= - What bike should I buy? - Sebster

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ase?highlight= - Will slamming my rear wheel help me sup grls? - Sebster

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-do?highlight= - I don't know how to change a cog at the 'drome, halpz? - Sebster

You might not have thought those questions were stupid when you posted them, but plenty of other people did. Nobody elected you hero of the forum. You've posted dumb crap, I've posted dumb crap, as have many other members. I think you're the one who needs to articulate better, because you're coming off like an ass.

To the OP: If you're considering riding fixed, you might be better served by borrowing a friend's bike/wheel for a week or so. Get a feel for it before plunking down the cash.
oooo, cat fight!

Well I've never ridden a fixed before. I love my single though. I just like how I don't have to change gears or worry about shifting at a light and what not. After reading about here, I might build another bike as a fixed gear for some fun. I like my SS because there are a lot of hills where I live, and it's nice coasting down them and jumping on the peddles going up.

I'll defiantly test ride a fixed gear bike at a LBS before anything.

Thanks everyone except the heckler in row #9.
BotByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 05:55 PM   #16
Butthash
Gold Member
 
Butthash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Humboldt County, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte View Post

A suicide fixie is the freewheel thread hub and locktite to widen the thread, correct? So a replacement flip flop hub is the best way to go.

Any good pricing for a flip flop hub?
Suicide hub is a single threaded hub with a cog glued in with LocTite, Because without the LocTite it would unscrew its-self with ANY backwards force.

If you know how to build wheels, a good, cheap flip-flop hub would be: http://www.irocycle.com/iropremierrearhub.aspx
If not, look for a cheap wheelset/wheel online. Eigthinch Amelias are the most common cheaper ones you will find, running 99.50 a set, with a tube, tire, cog, and lock ring, but they aren't the Best set. However, they have lasted me so far!
But right now I'm building up an IRO set (technically Formula hubs, and Velocity Fusions under a different name) Look for other peeps to give better ideas and things. I'm not that great...
Butthash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 08:52 PM   #17
BotByte
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: In a crate
Bikes:
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I use my Wobbler Gentelman 80 rims and a new set of correct sized spokes and nipples? I like my rims. I'm not new to wheels, I have a lot of practice with tires, hubs, and truing. But building one is completely new to me.
BotByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 10:54 PM   #18
EpicSchwinn
Just smang it.
 
EpicSchwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spokane
Bikes: '88 Trek 2300 Composite, '11 Dawes Deadeye
Posts: 2,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


I just had an everything bagel - toasted with some sour cream and a glass of chocolate milk.
EpicSchwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 06:12 AM   #19
adriano 
*
 
adriano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baltimore
Bikes: http://velospace.org/node/18951
Posts: 6,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i bought two dozen everything bagels for 1.59 this week, and ive been having them mostly with almond butter. /grocerybrag
__________________

α
adriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 02:43 PM   #20
Butthash
Gold Member
 
Butthash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Humboldt County, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Orange Juice and Banana bread here. Now I'm going to CLOSE the zipper on my THREADs, put on my kicks and get going to my doctor's appointment.
Butthash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 02:59 PM   #21
mickey_
So tragically hip.
 
mickey_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MASHboro, NJ
Bikes: 2009 SE Premium Brew, 2001 GT Interceptor, 2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody ever have those Asiago Cheese bagels from Shop Rite? They're pretty delicious, and at $0.59 each you can't go wrong!
mickey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 03:16 PM   #22
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo
 
jdgesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: seattle, too many links
Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike
Posts: 3,990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my wife made me some bagels (some with cheese) SO F'N GOOD
i told her to sell them at the shop.. she said no
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummygooey View Post
crabon/campy/rapha/roadie-bro.

next step is recumbent.




my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
jdgesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 03:21 PM   #23
avner
Fueled by Tigers Blood
 
avner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Echo Park, California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgesus
my wife made me some bagels (some with cheese) SO F'N GOOD
i told her to sell them at the shop.. she said no
adopt me. **** it.
avner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 03:38 PM   #24
zoltani
sniffin' glue
 
zoltani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road
Posts: 3,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ate too many cookies after lunch....blah

speaking of cookies i need to make it your bakery jdgesus
zoltani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 03:51 PM   #25
mickey_
So tragically hip.
 
mickey_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MASHboro, NJ
Bikes: 2009 SE Premium Brew, 2001 GT Interceptor, 2010 Motobecane Fantom 29
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd love some fine baked goods from your shop as well, jdgesus. I'm planning on shipping out to Anchorage by way of Seattle for grad school, so it's feasible!
mickey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:13 AM.