Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Ride like and Antelope! Wspsux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New York, New York
    My Bikes
    All City Big Block, Jamis Aurora, Trek 2.3
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tell me about All city 612 select tubing

    Is this just glorified 4130 chromoly?

    How does it stack up against Reynolds 725 or Tange Prestige with regards to ride quality?




    From AC web site:

    "We spend a crazy amount of time designing our frames, dialing in not just the geometries but the tubing diameters, wall thicknesses and butting profiles to get the feel of the bike just right. We do this not just on one frame size, but across them all, making sure that each size of every model is precisely tuned to give the rider the experience and thrill that they’ve come to expect from a bike wearing the Hennepin Bridge headtube badge.

    It’s a process and result that we’re quite proud of, so we decided to give our proprietary blend of double-butted 100% 612 Select Cro-Moly tubes a name. That name is 612 Select."


    Is this just fluff Or is there substance to this? They're crafty wordsmiths.

  2. #2
    Bastard of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,319
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wacky idea of the day: Contact All-City and ask them.

  3. #3
    Ride like and Antelope! Wspsux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New York, New York
    My Bikes
    All City Big Block, Jamis Aurora, Trek 2.3
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't they be biased?

    it would be pretty poor salesmanship not to be.

    third party info seems best.

  4. #4
    Pirate/Smuggler jlafitte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "proprietary blend" means that if they told you, then they'd have to kill you.

  5. #5
    Bastard of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,319
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wspsux View Post
    Wouldn't they be biased?

    it would be pretty poor salesmanship not to be.

    third party info seems best.
    Yes, you're right. People on a forum - most of which have never ridden an All-City bike or seen one in real life - are much more apt to tell you exactly what goes into the manufacturing of All-City's tubing and how it compares to other steel tubing. Proceed.

  6. #6
    Grumpy Old Bugga europa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, AUSTRALIA
    My Bikes
    Europa, Hillbrick, Road Chief, Repco Superlite (Ol' Rusty)
    Posts
    3,132
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wspsux View Post
    Wouldn't they be biased?

    it would be pretty poor salesmanship not to be.

    third party info seems best.
    It all depends on the questions you ask. They can't lie and say it's the equivalent of Reynolds 725 when it was actually drawn out in a milking shed out the back end of China somewhere, and I'm sure you're smart enough to see through generalist comments that don't tell you anything such as 'butted tubes for outstanding ride'.

    Generally speaking, good quality products have their manufacturer's name on them. 4130 tubing tells you stuff all ... so why are you imaging it'll be as good as any product from Reynolds or Tange?

    You can also do a search (pause for shock and horror to subside) and discover what people on this forum have had to say about their All City bikes.

    BTW, it's the middle of the night and I'm damned near dead with the flu so it's possible I'm not as diplomatic as I could be
    I had a good bike ... so I FIXED it

  7. #7
    Ride like and Antelope! Wspsux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New York, New York
    My Bikes
    All City Big Block, Jamis Aurora, Trek 2.3
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    It all depends on the questions you ask. They can't lie and say it's the equivalent of Reynolds 725 when it was actually drawn out in a milking shed out the back end of China somewhere, and I'm sure you're smart enough to see through generalist comments that don't tell you anything such as 'butted tubes for outstanding ride'.

    Generally speaking, good quality products have their manufacturer's name on them. 4130 tubing tells you stuff all ... so why are you imaging it'll be as good as any product from Reynolds or Tange?

    You can also do a search (pause for shock and horror to subside) and discover what people on this forum have had to say about their All City bikes.

    BTW, it's the middle of the night and I'm damned near dead with the flu so it's possible I'm not as diplomatic as I could be

    Thanks Europa,


    thats just just it, I almost feel like they're rebranding generic 4130 by calling it 612 select. I've heard only good things about the big block, which is what I'm interested in.

    i draw a comparison to Tange and Reynolds because there are frame offerings from Soma and Wabi, respectably, within a very close price of the AC big block frame. I'm trying for figure out why they're so closely priced given the differences in quality (if any) of steel used.

    anyway, feel better!

  8. #8
    Ride like and Antelope! Wspsux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New York, New York
    My Bikes
    All City Big Block, Jamis Aurora, Trek 2.3
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    Yes, you're right. People on a forum - most of which have never ridden an All-City bike or seen one in real life - are much more apt to tell you exactly what goes into the manufacturing of All-City's tubing and how it compares to other steel tubing. Proceed.



    Scrod, I did fire them an email this morning but I don't expect to hear back until Monday.
    while there are plenty of people on this forum who would not be qualified to answer my question, there are also people like you who are knowledgable and deeply involved (to my understanding) with the industry. I was hoping to reach the latter group.

  9. #9
    Bastard of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,319
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You did, and I told you your best bet would be to contact All-City directly.

    Perhaps it's just be being "old-fashioned" but when I have a question directed toward a certain person, company, restaurant, etc. I tend to consult the source instead of sifting through other people's opinions.

  10. #10
    THE STUFFED Leukybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Bikes
    Sworks Venge; Kona Paddywagon; Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Posts
    10,409
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OP you would've gotten your answer already if you followed the 1st reply.

    Quote Originally Posted by jlafitte View Post
    "proprietary blend" means that if they told you, then they'd have to kill you.
    +1
    Don't forget to use a fictitious name to throw them off!

  11. #11
    Ride like and Antelope! Wspsux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New York, New York
    My Bikes
    All City Big Block, Jamis Aurora, Trek 2.3
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leukybear View Post
    OP you would've gotten your answer already if you followed the 1st reply.
    I did.

    I haven't.

    Thanks for the help

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    269
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will presume that OP actually did try to do some research before posing his question here because there is no information anywhere in the Google about “612 Select Cro-Moly” besides All City’s own mentions and promotion of it…

    which I take to mean that there really is nothing all that special about 612 tubing - or Bikesdirect would have stolen it
    Last edited by IAmSam; 07-20-14 at 09:04 AM. Reason: ooops...

  13. #13
    Bastard of Reality Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,319
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm sure the steel quality itself is comparable to 4130 (just like "Reynolds 520" and "Columbus Cromor") but the difference is in the butting and thickness.
    Last edited by Scrodzilla; 07-20-14 at 10:18 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •