Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

2007 Trek T2000

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

2007 Trek T2000

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-14, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
2007 Trek T2000

Made a few changes with old parts: (Captain) Bars/stem/tape from 2011 Madone 5.2, WTB Saddle, (Stoker) Thomson Seatpost, Terry Carbon railed saddle, Nitto alloy bars cutoff and flipped to form bullhorn, old beater 3T fixed stem. These no-dollar changes with stuff from the parts-bin knocked of 2 pounds from 33.2 lbs. to 31.2 lbs.

I found the Trek on Craigslist a week ago for a good deal. It obviously has ridiculously low miles - original tires with gobs of tread and hardly any wear on the brake pads. I weighed the tires and they are 390 grams each. The wife said she'd like new tires for piece of mind so a couple Michelin Pro4 Endurance 25mm tires are on the way (around 250 grams each). I also weighed the cassette (SRAM PG970) and it's 430 grams. Might pick up an clearance XT cassette that should shave another 100 grams. Might pick up a Shimano Pro stem to shave 60 - 70 grams. I don't think I can get it under 30 lbs. without upgrading the wheelset but it still might get close. Still not bad for only $1,500. I like good deals. I forgot how good 9-speed Shimano drivetrains shift.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
TrekT2000a.jpg (100.0 KB, 118 views)
Old 08-04-14, 07:01 PM
WPH

Bikes: 2015 Apollo Syncro tandem, 2006 Scott CR1 SL (still a beastie race bike), 1993 Trek T200, 2006 Fuji Absolute Le, 2000 Thorn Club Tour

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fantastic!
Old 08-04-14, 07:19 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The wife and I rode around the neighborhood to tweak the adjustments a bit. The bike feels light and handles well. We rode a friend's 2011 Cannondale last year when my wife injured her shoulder and liked that bike tremendously. We were able to hang with the fast dudes for over 50 miles (67 mile ride) so we've been keeping our eyes peeled for a good deal. I wasn't really interested in Trek tandem initially but found good info on them on this forum. I might eventually add a rear disc brake unless I find the calipers adequate. Fun times.
Old 08-05-14, 04:27 PM

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Great bike and a good deal!
I'm surprized this model didn't sell that well and had to be discontinued?

We have a 2008 T1000 which is the same frame as yours but with Tiagra componets instead of Ultegra plus it came with an Aluminum fork instaed of the carbon fibre. We've updated the fork to the same one used on the T2000. Also Thompson seatposts, new saddles bullhorn stoker bar and some slightly lighter wheels. Ours is a few pounds heavier than yours and we've actually started adding some weight back by adding fenders and a rear rack. We really like it. It's much lighter than tandems costing thousands more yet it handles most conditions well. We even took it on a loaded tour earlier this summer with no issues.

It's fun dusting Calfees and other high dollar tandems! They always look down to see what's passing them

enjoy yours!
Old 08-05-14, 07:06 PM

Bikes: Erickson Signature, Paketa D2R

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We started tandeming on a Trek back about 1994, and the great experience translated into our current lifelong passion. We no longer ride the Trek (upgraded to a custom Erickson in ca. '96) but credit it with setting the course. Enjoy your new mount and keep us posted on your adventures!
Old 08-05-14, 07:56 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Had our first adventure today. Just finished 28 miles at 17.1 average on a moderately hilly route east of Norman, OK. Ride impressions: bike feels racey, not as stiff as Cannondale (2011 model) but quite a bit lighter. My wife is just coming off a summer cold so her power was up and down. When she hammered the bike accelerated strong. At the end of the ride coming back into my neighborhood, there is a fairly steep hill we call Hill of Determination. Usually, everyone sprints it for imaginary glory. Our riding buddy sprinted hard but didn't completely obliterate us, so with a little work I think we could become a respectable tandem team. Naturally, I need need to drop 15 or 20 lbs. to get there; mmmmm, pizza. The wife is already 120lbs. of ripped awesomeness. Her stoker-ness is ideal.
Old 08-06-14, 05:31 PM

Bikes: Serotta Single, Litespeed Ultimate, Cannondale CAAD 4, Calfee Tetra Tandem, Trek 1000 Sold, Santana Arriva, Sold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek was our first tandem and we loved it........now into our 60's and the Carbon (Calfee) has reduced our fatigue and its all about conservation and efficient transfer of energy. Have to be able to enjoy that wine tasting after those long rides!

Enjoy!
Old 08-09-14, 08:53 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Calfee carbon, awesome bling. Perhaps some day we will go big and get a Calfee. Our mountain and road bikes are carbon. We spent nearly $20k on new bikes three years ago. Excellent bikes, they are (Santa Cruz Tallboys, Willier (her's) Izoard and Madone 5.2 (mine).

The Michelin Pro4 25 mm tires showed up the other day. They weighed 254 and 250 grams a piece. The original tires were both around 390 grams each. The Pro4s are indeed as large as the 28mm Bontrager Race Lite tires. Nice to drop nearly 300 grams and still have a nice ride. Highly recommended. I also picked up some 3T Ergonova handlebars; they are quite comfy.

I'm thinking about adding a larger chainring since the 52 spins out easily. Any recommendations? Is 54 a logical size since the middle ring is a 42? Small ring is a 30. Front derailleur is a Shimano 105.
Old 08-12-14, 10:04 PM

Bikes: Fandango DC-9 Mtb Tandem,Co-Motion Supremo,Trek T-1000 tandem, Specialized Allez Elite, Dolce,

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the Trek. We have a 2006 T1000 but with updates it is higher end than the original T2000. Our best money was spent on the Spinergy wheelset. We were considering buying a newer/higher end tandem like a co motion but every time we ride the Trek it does all we want it to.
We have gotten into off road tandeming over the last 2 years. We decided instead to buy a new Fandango DC 9 from www.mtbtandems.com. It will replace the 98 Cannondale MT 3000 that we purchased used to wet our feet in the off road world.

Some other well spent money on the Trek IMHO was our selle anatomica seats. By far the most comfortable seat I have ever had on any bike.

Yes it is fun to pass a Co Mo, Calfee, Paketa on a Trek. It really boils down to the motor more than any bike. Enjoy it!
Old 08-14-14, 07:28 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Oh yeah, we're eyeballing the Spinergy wheels. A tandem buddy just ordered a set yesterday from Precision Tandem for his 05 Robusta. His Rolfs finally died, incredible that he got so many miles out of them.

My wife really likes her Terry Butterfly saddle. I thought I liked my Bontrager Affinity saddle but noticed discomfort on the last ride. On my road bike it's no problem since I'm out of the saddle more often. I tempted to try the Terry Fly saddle.

Anyway, $1500 for the bike and $800 for a new wheelset still seems like a really good deal. We're happy.
Old 08-15-14, 12:50 PM
Blind Runner

Bikes: 2006 Trek T2000 Tandem, a Fat bike and a CX bike

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Great tandem, I had one, just like yours, sold it to buy a 2010 Cannondale, back when the kid was young and had the trailer behind, so I wanted better safer braking with the discs.

But now, started training and doing some fast rides and I miss the lightweight feel of the T2000, mine was at 32.5lbs, the 'Dale is at 36.5lbs, frame was a bit more flexy on the trek, really stiff on the Cannondale.

I am curious enough that I will do a back to back ride comparison of the T2000 and the Dale, sold the Trek to a friend of mine, will be fun!

Hope you have a lot of great rides with the tandem!
Old 08-16-14, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty pleased with our Trek tandem. It started life as a T1000 (same frame minus rear disc mount) and has been rebuilt from scratch with components to that suit my needs:

Old 08-20-14, 08:05 PM

Bikes: Fandango DC-9 Mtb Tandem,Co-Motion Supremo,Trek T-1000 tandem, Specialized Allez Elite, Dolce,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mthopton
I'm pretty pleased with our Trek tandem. It started life as a T1000 (same frame minus rear disc mount) and has been rebuilt from scratch with components to that suit my needs:

Looks great. That is the same model/color we have. I believe it is the 2006 model. Maybe put a ST thudbuster for the stoker. Maybe I am wrong but do not see any suspension for the stoker or are those carbon seatpost? We absolutely love our spinergy wheelset.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trail trash.JPG (41.0 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by moonwalker; 08-20-14 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-21-14, 01:31 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sweet T1000s. Went on a short, hot, windy ride with our tandem buddies yesterday. Heat index was around 100 degrees. They just got Spinergy wheels and liked them on their Robusta. They looked really nice too in all black. Their bike is red so white spokes would've also looked great. I'm very tempted to get a set which should shave another 1.5 pounds. The T2000 would be approaching weigh-weenie territory with the Spinergy wheels (for an aluminum tandem). I noticed wheelsucking on a tandem is a little more tricky. Better to not follow too close.
Old 08-21-14, 08:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure of your location but check out www.houseoftandems.com for the spinergy wheels also. We are fortunate to live 90 minutes away from the shop so we drove over, purchased and had Rick install them as we waited. We also bought our Selle Anatomica seats there also. We also have all black wheels which go with the silver tandem. I gave white spokes some thought but figured the dirt would really show on them. The white ones I have seen however do not look dirty at all.
Old 08-23-14, 06:33 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah, House of Tandems would be a pretty big drive for us; we're in central OK. Precision had the Spinergy wheels for $799 but then they went up to $899 a day after my friends got a pair.

We did a 56 mile group ride today. It was really fun. I'm hoping the tandem helps jump start our cycling fitness. We haven't ridden much the last 1.5 years since my younger brother was diagnosed with cancer. He passed a few months ago and we have taken care of his estate, so it's time to get back in shape.
Old 08-23-14, 06:36 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Oh yeah, weighed the bike again with pedals, 4 water-bottle cages and computer. Still fairly light at 31.4 pounds. Sub 30 should be pretty easy with another couple changes and the Spinergy wheels.
Old 09-06-14, 12:06 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hit a pot hole the other day in a corner just 2 miles into a ride. Got a pinch flat and had to do some advanced cleat scraping moves to keep from laying the bike down, stoker got in on the action and we didn't go down. A bit skeery. A few days later we got in 40 miles with another tandem team and then did a fast ride with a local group in the Arbuckle mountains (hills). It was hot and windy and after 60 miles going hard we were trashed. It was a good. We are really digging this tandem riding and feel the extra effort involved is getting us back to riding shape quickly.

Earlier in a post I described the stoker bullhorn was made with an old Nitto Noodle 48cm bar. After cutting the bar it weight 238 grams. Since I had the old Bontrager stoker drop-bar collecting dust I went ahead and cut them down with a pipe cutter. The old Race Lite bars weigh in at 185 grams, nice. Now I can run a standard oversize stem and get rid of the old 26.o stem that weighs in at 195 ish grams. So, a Pro PLT is on order that'll shave around 60 grams. So, for just a few bucks we will shave over 100 grams and end up with better stuff. My wife says they Bontrager bullhorns feel a little better than the Nittos.