Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Questions when touring

    I've looked around the forum for a while and I've found some interesting articles but I still have some questions.

    1] Being hosted -
    Many people post about how they got a decent nights sleep in a warm bed after a rewarding shower, but how do people go about getting this?

    2] Can you tour on a road bike? -
    I have a GIANT (don't know the model name). It's brilliant to ride, but can it be used to tour with panniers?

    3] Kit -
    Beside the obvious such as clothing, money, food, etc which bits of kit have you/would you recommend taking with you on a bike tour?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Heretic Caretaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3
    Posts
    1,281
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Join www.warmshowers.org and be prepared to reciprocate by hosting yourself either now or in the future.

    2) Yes, you could use it but I wouldn't advise. The chances of ending up with multiple broken spokes and punctures will be very high. Ideally a touring bike but a hybrid will do. If you're planning on doing some hills while loaded low gears are important.

    3) Depends on what you mean by 'a bike tour'. It can be anything from an overnighter to a round world trip. At the bare minimum, a spare tube, puncture repair kit and a multitool.
    History is the future

  3. #3
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheyron View Post
    I've looked around the forum for a while and I've found some interesting articles but I still have some questions.

    1] Being hosted -
    Many people post about how they got a decent nights sleep in a warm bed after a rewarding shower, but how do people go about getting this?
    There are various organizations that facilitate hosting of travelers:

    http://www.warmshowers.org/
    http://www.couchsurfing.org/

    If you are an out going personality and not in a rush you'll talk to lots of people every day on tour and some of them will offer you hospitality.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cheyron View Post
    2] Can you tour on a road bike? -
    I have a GIANT (don't know the model name). It's brilliant to ride, but can it be used to tour with panniers?
    People have toured thousands of KMs on unicycles and penny farthings so yes you can tour on a road bike. Will it be much fun or will your bike handle well? Probably not - unless it's an UL credit card tour. If you have to tour on a road bike with full camping gear I'd suggest a 2 wheel trailer that won't wreck how your bike rides.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheyron View Post

    3] Kit -
    Beside the obvious such as clothing, money, food, etc which bits of kit have you/would you recommend taking with you on a bike tour?

    Thanks
    I ride in street clothes so I just bring a few tools/spares [tubes, patches, levers, multi tool, kevlar spokes] and camping gear/cooking gear depending on the tour.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Nanaimo.B.C. The We't coast of Canada
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if you haven't found it yet, Crazyguyonabike.com has alot of information to be had.
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/?o=RrzKj
    Last edited by overthehillmedi; 05-22-11 at 03:16 PM. Reason: added link

  5. #5
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    1,468
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stayed in Hostels a lot, they're sparse in the states. iYHA,,
    much more common in like Ireland
    UK , Europe.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Cyclebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NE Tx
    My Bikes
    Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial
    Posts
    2,637
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone pointed out on here recently, any bicycle that you can ride comfortably for 6 or 7 hours is a touring bike. But maybe not ideal for load carrying and climbing steep hills.

    Warmshowers is a great network of cycling peers that offer hospitality. Common courtesy of being a guest is a requisite.

    Before heading off on a lengthy tour, do a couple of overnighters to check out your gear and bike. Most novice tourers start out with more than they will use, and/or the wrong stuff. OTOH, you can always mail the extra home and buy what you left off. Just don't forget the pump and patch kit.
    The bicycle is one of the great inventions of mankind. Delights children, challenges young men to feats of daring, and turns old men into boys again.--Me

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caretaker View Post
    1) Join www.warmshowers.org and be prepared to reciprocate by hosting yourself either now or in the future.

    2) Yes, you could use it but I wouldn't advise. The chances of ending up with multiple broken spokes and punctures will be very high. Ideally a touring bike but a hybrid will do. If you're planning on doing some hills while loaded low gears are important.

    3) Depends on what you mean by 'a bike tour'. It can be anything from an overnighter to a round world trip. At the bare minimum, a spare tube, puncture repair kit and a multitool.
    Quote Originally Posted by vik View Post
    There are various organizations that facilitate hosting of travelers:

    http://www.warmshowers.org/
    http://www.couchsurfing.org/

    If you are an out going personality and not in a rush you'll talk to lots of people every day on tour and some of them will offer you hospitality.




    People have toured thousands of KMs on unicycles and penny farthings so yes you can tour on a road bike. Will it be much fun or will your bike handle well? Probably not - unless it's an UL credit card tour. If you have to tour on a road bike with full camping gear I'd suggest a 2 wheel trailer that won't wreck how your bike rides.



    I ride in street clothes so I just bring a few tools/spares [tubes, patches, levers, multi tool, kevlar spokes] and camping gear/cooking gear depending on the tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by overthehillmedi View Post
    And if you haven't found it yet, Crazyguyonabike.com has alot of information to be had.
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/?o=RrzKj
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    I stayed in Hostels a lot, they're sparse in the states. iYHA,,
    much more common in like Ireland
    UK , Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclebum View Post
    As someone pointed out on here recently, any bicycle that you can ride comfortably for 6 or 7 hours is a touring bike. But maybe not ideal for load carrying and climbing steep hills.

    Warmshowers is a great network of cycling peers that offer hospitality. Common courtesy of being a guest is a requisite.

    Before heading off on a lengthy tour, do a couple of overnighters to check out your gear and bike. Most novice tourers start out with more than they will use, and/or the wrong stuff. OTOH, you can always mail the extra home and buy what you left off. Just don't forget the pump and patch kit.
    Thank you for all of the replies.

    Based on what you have said, could I tour comfortably on a road bike if I don't have my camping gear? Just taking clothes and the bare essential the weight shouldn't be too heavy.

  8. #8
    cyclopath vik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    My Bikes
    Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
    Posts
    5,237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheyron View Post
    Thank you for all of the replies.

    Based on what you have said, could I tour comfortably on a road bike if I don't have my camping gear? Just taking clothes and the bare essential the weight shouldn't be too heavy.
    Sure. You don't really need much if you can be flexible.
    safe riding - Vik
    VikApproved

  9. #9
    Senior Member silmarillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2012 Cinelli Mystic Rat, Nashbar CX
    Posts
    720
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would look for a good organized ride to do first. (If you have never done it before) I have done tours several times, I camp some (have the bags sagged for me from point to point) and I have done the hotel/motel thing.

    Both are okay, but if you have someone to sag the stuff for you it's always better so you don't have to carry so much with you. If I ever do it again though, I will definitely invest in a Bob trailer. Pull that sucker behind the Corsa.

  10. #10
    Senior Member liamof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Novato, CA outside SF
    My Bikes
    2003 T800 Cannondale, 2001 Specilized Road Bike.
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheyron,
    The fundamental problem with todays road bike geometry is that your heal will be in contact with your rear panniers as you pedal. You may want to check your bike to see if that is the case. I have toured the pacific coast a number of times on an old bianchi "green" road bike with the only change being switiching to a triple crank to take on the hills. Did I break lots of spokes? Yes. So, as long as you don't hit your panniers as you pedal you can ride your road bike. Bring camping gear to see if it works for you. I am an advicate of riding what you have to see if in deed like it enough to shell out the bucks for a touring bike .
    Good luck and have fun.
    Liam

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pearland, Texas
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Posts
    5,610
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheyron, Without going on about other types of bikes, I'm going to guess that your road bike has only one, if any pre drilled holes in the rear dropouts. Racks that use a longer quick release and adel clamps can secure a carrier to the rear if there's no mount points provided or a seatpost mounted carrier can be installed. Along with a handlebar bag you will be able to load a modest (10-15 lbs.) amount of gear for an overnight explatory tour or two. You may also discover that the Giant is all the bike you'll need for how you wish to tour.

    Have fun.

    Brad

  12. #12
    Senior Member BigBlueToe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Posts
    3,388
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 10-speed I toured on in the 70's was a road bike. It wasn't ideal but it worked fine. It was steel and sturdily built. My present road bike is aluminum with a carbon fork. I might tour on it with a Bob trailer, but I'm glad I don't have to. If I had a carbon frame, I don't know if I'd tour at all. Strength of wheels is an issue when you load it up, especially the rear. If you put a strong wheel on your road bike you might be better off. You might get better answers if you found the model name.

    My preferred mode of touring self-supported, so I bring camping gear and cooking gear, a multi-tool, a cassette tool, spare spokes, a spoke wrench, a spare tube, patch kit, and tire irons. I also carry a spare brake and derailleur cable. I take a Kindle, a small Thermarest pillow, and a Crazy Creek chair (really - I know it's a little unnecessary extra weight, but it's so nice to sit and read in a real chair.)

  13. #13
    Senior Member irwin7638's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Byron,Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy
    Posts
    2,369
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used road bikes for years on tours, always steel. I've never even thought about the"hosting" option, I've always camped or stayed in hotels. Here's my usual gear:

    http://simplecycle-marc.blogspot.com...cking-101.html

    Marc
    Read Simply Cycle

    "I can still do everything I used to, but now I'm mature enough to take a nap without being told." - Me

    "You don't deteriorate from age,you age from deterioration" --Joe Weider

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •